Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do high volume ebay sellers think we believe their lies about shilling their own autctions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatDoesTheFoxSay

Jun 28, 2014
Thanks guys. I really did not expect someone to ask what types of things could be done because I know this subject is like beating a dead horse. I admit that I can get kind of lazy to type out long responses.

I know I am new to these boards but let's just say I've been around the block a few times LOL I'm 45 years old and in the hobby almost as long as I can remember as a child. Where does the time go?

ozzy

Aug 9, 2008
I am not "calling out" anyone. The people that read this message board are the same people that already know the deal with these three sellers. Google the word Shill and any one of these sellers ebay name. That should be enough to convince anyone with half a brain what is really going on.

Just did a Google search on "bigboyd shill". Unreal, I have made many purchases with them in the past, but that has now come to an abrupt end. Thanks!

arod812

Sep 14, 2008
GR, Michigan
I've bought from Probstein probably a dozen times or so and well he lists so many nice items I usually end up with items less than they typically go for. Now as for IMAC and BigBoyd they are certain shills, especially BB with his 3x absurd "values" he has in his titles. I've had some of the same cards in my eBay store before which are listed cheaper than his auctions get up to and they still don't sell. He also sells the same item with same picture of some limited items 4-5-6 times before. I just avoid even opening those auctions where I see some ridiculous value in the title. Time I won't get back for wasting my time.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
5. Be forthright if there is an auction customers are questioning. Advise what you have done to look into the situation and your conclusions. Ignoring complaints is bad customer service.
This is the one that stood out to me. Probstein is notorious for ignoring the various shitstorms that pop up over on CU. IMO, he relies on CU to poof threads that paint him in a negative light (and there have been many, many of them), but he's sure on it when people are bragging him up. I think he could do himself a LOT of good by either personally checking into public allegations of shilling or having one of his staff do it for him, and then making sure he posts what was done about the situation.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Thanks guys. I really did not expect someone to ask what types of things could be done because I know this subject is like beating a dead horse. I admit that I can get kind of lazy to type out long responses.

I know I am new to these boards but let's just say I've been around the block a few times LOL I'm 45 years old and in the hobby almost as long as I can remember as a child. Where does the time go?

Don't worry about it. Hell, I have 3,000+ posts and I'd wager a bet that most on this site have no idea who the hell I am anyway as most of those posts took place on the general topics board. I chalk up my "questioning" to the last 10 years of work I've done and I am always reading into things and asking questions.

And I'm 9 years your junior but I still find myself asking that same question. Where does the time go?

bigboydsportscards3

Jan 21, 2010
Just did a Google search on "bigboyd shill". Unreal, I have made many purchases with them in the past, but that has now come to an abrupt end. Thanks!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially when peoples "proof" is bid history %. Anyway, always easily accessible. Email: [email protected] .. Phone 513-833-5158. This goes for anyone with questions/concerns..

Terry

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Maybe you don't... maybe you do... maybe you have no idea... either way, why do so many people think you do or have? I mean you have to ask yourself the question.

bigboydsportscards3

Jan 21, 2010
Maybe you don't... maybe you do... maybe you have no idea... either way, why do so many people think you do or have? I mean you have to ask yourself the question.

How would we have no idea? Like I stated previously we do not consign items. We did in the past on occasion, have not in over a year.

arod812

Sep 14, 2008
GR, Michigan
How would we have no idea? Like I stated previously we do not consign items. We did in the past on occasion, have not in over a year.

What about all your auctions with the ridiculous values in the titles you try to put on as book values that are usually 2-4x what the item is really worth? Where do these values come from?

What about all your auctions with the ridiculous values in the titles you try to put on as book values that are usually 2-4x what the item is really worth? Where do these values come from?

This right here is a darn good question. The inflated, imaginary book value seems to be your trademark. Seasoned card enthusiasts can usually identify your auctions off the rip, without even clicking on them! Many of your items sell for above market value because buyers are deceived by this tactic.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

I seem to remember at one time their auctions stated that this was something like an "investment potential" value and not a book value, but I'm currently bidding on a card (where an amazingly inflated dollar figure is put in the title and the first bidder has 79% bidding activity with BigBoyd over the last 3 months, just stating facts and you can draw your own conclusions) and that language is not in the description.

That being said, to be fair I've bought several cards from BigBoyd over the years and never had any issues once the auction ended.

hrbek14

Jan 27, 2013
Waconia, MN
I'm currently bidding on a card (where an amazingly inflated dollar figure is put in the title and the first bidder has 79% bidding activity with BigBoyd over the last 3 months, just stating facts and you can draw your own conclusions)

LOL. Funny how there's a number of accounts out there like this. Must have a number of dedicated customers...

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
If you take nothing else away from this thread, it's to put Probstein on the "good" list and Bigboyd on the "naughty" list. My primary beef with this thread was that people are unfairly categorizing Probstein as one of the unethical sellers/consigners and, given mine and many others experiences as both buyers and sellers, I have yet to hear any definitive criticism (with examples!) of him doing anything wrong.

I bought a re-sealed box of 05 UD Reflections Baseball from Boyd and it was nightmare getting it fixed. Instead of taking accountability, he blamed a dropshipper that he used, made me pay the expense of sending back the box that contained base only (NO hits at all which lead me to realize that the packs had been resealed along with the box itself), and then slammed me on the old BMB boards. Aside from that experience, my biggest beef is the deceptive pricing he puts in all of his listings (as someone mentioned above, putting '$60' on a low-end card to try and drive bidding).

That's all I got.

bigboydsportscards3

Jan 21, 2010

As stated many times, the price listed is a target investment price (yes it is a sales tactic which I have stated many times). Anyway, it is stated in almost every description and in our FAQ.

the first bidder has 79% bidding activity with BigBoyd over the last 3 months, just stating facts and you can draw your own conclusions).

If you want to provide the item, I'll get you bidder info. There are multiple (10-20) guys that buy stuff from us every week as we list thousands of items per week. Again, any questions/concerns don't hesitate to email or call directly.

Members online