User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Why do high volume ebay sellers think we believe their lies about shilling their own autctions

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
    There is no chance thats legit and looks nothing like his early signature. It has nothing to do with it being in a GAI holder except the forger used them almost exclusively for a year or 2 before they stopped labbing these.
    After researching it a bit you're right.

See, guys like me have no clue.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhofmann View Post
    After researching it a bit you're right.

See, guys like me have no clue.
    Since GAI went to the toilet (long long ago) they been passing off massive amounts of forgeries. Its now moved on to their new company GA. Since almost no one will send them anything besides forgers they are left no choice but to pass them all for $$$

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    I can't speak of your views on ethics, but the concept of "anchoring" is a classic idea in behavioral economics. Tons of items have an MSRP that is far higher than the listed price. That's designed to make you feel like you are getting a good deal. Walk into a clothing store where the MSRP of a shirt is $80, but it's always at least 50% off. Walk into a music store and you'll see it on every instrument the price is 25% or more less than the MSRP. Jewelry stores were already mentioned. It's a standard practice.
    I feel that the difference here is the way the dollar price is put in the title of the auction, people are going to infer that it's a book value or sales value or something of the sort. In fact, it's a value pulled out of thin air that is always higher than both book value and sales value. In that way it is meant to deceive and take advantage of people.

Banned
    North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    I feel that the difference here is the way the dollar price is put in the title of the auction, people are going to infer that it's a book value or sales value or something of the sort. In fact, it's a value pulled out of thin air that is always higher than both book value and sales value. In that way it is meant to deceive and take advantage of people.

^This guy gets it. Misleading words in auction titles is a total scumbag move in my book. Does Mr. Terry Boyd care to discuss why he would put "RC" in the title of an auction for a second or third year card of a players? Does Wal Mart blatantly lie about the items they are selling too?

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    I'm not sure I see it the same way. I don't see how putting a number on a collectible whose value differs dramatically based on an individual (and could theoretically be worth that much to someone who specifically collects that player or set) is more deceptive than a jewelry company having an MSRP that is 2x-3x what the item is ever sold for or worth in an industry that has pretty set pricing (certainly for the components like diamonds or gold that went into making the jewelry, and often for the kind of item it is.)

I am not saying that every practice that is utilized is fine, or that I think having a price makes a difference, I don't think having a number in the listing is anything duplicitous or deceptive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    Its interesting, it seems no matter what the guy says, you're going to call him names at the end. Oh yeah, stop calling him names.

Listing book value is an accepted practice and some people use it for every transaction. Is it smart? No. Is it dishonest? No.

If you are making purchases of any kind and of any type, do your research.
    Have you even bothered reading this thread before you comment?

Senior Member 200lbhockeyplayer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this thread in its entirity...I won an auction from Probstein last night.

An auction that was won for 66% of my max bid.

Thanks to the OP for potentially scaring people away.

Side note, FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!
    Hello again.

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    Have you even bothered reading this thread before you comment?
    Is this your contribution?

If you disagree with what I said, by all means let me know.

Thanks
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Banned
    North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have anything else to add to this?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567