Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FOUND MY 29 YEAR WHITE WHALE! And the Reason for my Username!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
FCB APP USERS: Can't see pics? Go here! http://tanmanbaseballfan.blogspot.com/2014/08/found-my-29-year-white-whale-and-reason.html

To say I'm stoked, is a MASSIVE understatement. A VERY interesting story comes along with this whole thing too! To put it simply in one statement:

I found it.
My precious.
My reason for collecting.
The reason for my username.

THE card I've been searching for ever since I read about it in Beckett back in the 1980's. If you lived in the Huntsville area of Alabama in the 1980's, you might remember the now-defunct grocery store chain "Mouschi's" ... (It is what I base my username after.) This is probably a familiar sight for you Alabamans:

store.jpg

They were quite active with the minor league team the Huntsville Stars, and have had numerous signings with several of the players in the 80's like Luis Polonia, Terry Steinbach and Mark McGwire. They even made baseball cards.

The one signing that eluded them, however, was Jose Canseco. They had promoted it in their weekly ads, but it never materialized due to Jose being called up. Here is a pic of one of the ads that I got my hands on years back - it states there were 25 made:

ad.jpg

The whole thing was mismanaged, because according to Beckett years ago, they actually produced the cards before getting the agreement! The idea was to bring the newspaper ad in, ask the cashier for the Canseco baseball card (limited to 25 copies). The card acted as a voucher that you could bring to be signed on September 2nd, 1985 at the store.

I had never seen one, until yesterday. Heck, I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this card in the past 30 years or so, either! Here it is:

front.jpg

and the back ...

back.jpg

MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!!!!

But it actually gets much, much more interesting...

The previous owner of the card was upset, because the signing never happened. He wrote a rather scathing letter to Mouschi's grocery store, and received a response (I was able to keep this letter as well for my collection!!!):

letter.jpg

If you don't want to read it, it basically says Jose ain't comin' back to Huntsville. He's a star now. The other copies of the card have been destroyed (I HAVE A 1 OF 1!?!?!?!?!?) but you are welcome to bring the "worthless" card back for a "valuable" voucher of Terry Steinbach who will be signing. In addition to this, they would get a $25 gift certificate to the store.

The previous owner noted that he snubbed them and didn't want Steinbach. He wanted Canseco. He mentioned that it was bizarre that representatives from Mouschi's would continually call him over a period of 3 months, even after the Steinbach signing to get the card back. They offered substantially more money for it, as well. This ultimately subsided, and they began getting disturbing calls and hang-ups at all hours of the night. Finally, it all ended.

If you look at the letter he received, notice how Mr. Buttersworth (what a ridiculous name!) explicitly mentioned that the Canseco card has no value. The back story of this is that the whole chain went belly-up due to a legal altercation with Burger King. The fast food giant crushed the local grocery store chain, and it was no more.

The card front looks eerily close to a card that Burger King produced around the same time period:

burgerking.jpg

I have a version of this card autographed, and have taken a picture of it next to the Mouschi's card:

sidebyside.jpg

Why did Mouschi's make such a concerted effort to get the only card in existence back? Could this card be the link to the downfall of the entire grocery chain? That is one theory, anyway.

Another theory perhaps, might fit as well:

What if that whole thing was a hoax???

What if someone else had taken the Burger King card, and took out the logo in the background?

field.jpg

What if they had just slapped Jose's pic on the front of it?

player.jpg

And made the background a painting along with putting a bottom graphic?

paintedback.jpg

And made Jose a painting as well?

allpainted.jpg

That is all well and good, but what about the advertisement? It clearly states from Mouschi's that there IS a signing:

ad.jpg

Or does it????

originalad.jpg

Was Mr. Buttersworth's letter a real thing? Look at all the ink stains, wrinkles and rips. Heck, a real signature from ol' Edmund himself.

letter.jpg

Or was it intentionally aged after being printed?

computerscreen.jpg

Hmmm, strange. Stranger still, the Mouschi's grocery store. A grungy looking picture from the 80's ...

store.jpg

What if that had been intentionally aged as well?

newstore.jpg

And if it weren't a "Mouschi's" at all?

foodlion.jpg

But what if there never even was a Mouschi's Grocery Store? That wouldn't make sense though - I mean, I still recall their theme song "Everything's Better at Mouschi's..."

What if the logo was just made yesterday by some dude with too much time on his hands yesterday evening?

beginninglogo.jpg

logo.jpg

Curious. Surely, no one would go through all this trouble of doing various copies, only to write up something that everyone else could enjoy!

mistakes.jpg

And even make a rounded corner version to mimic unlicensed 1980's cards, while using a plastic baggie from a Mother's Cookies card to give it an authentic look!

donorplastic.jpg

I'm sure that there are a number of theories out there. I guess we will never know the truth! :)

letterandcard.jpg

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Talk about serious disappointment by the reader. I was about to say this is one of the best card collecting stories I have ever heard and was super happy for you. Now I just think you need to find something to do with your spare time! LOL.

Why would anyone put this much time into a bogus story? It completely perplexes me.

Edit: I will say Mouschi's is the stupidest name for a grocery store I've ever heard of! LOL. No way in hell I'd shop at that place. It's actually kind of nasty that a mouse would be the symbol for a grocery store, but you were saying Alabama, so figured anything is a go given that.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
You should have let people believe the hoax for a while before spilling the beans in the SAME post. Nicely done but oh what could have been...

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Great story with a great card!

The story started to fall apart for me when I looked at the store pic and it had modern design plus how much snow does Hunstville AL get anyway? Then it really fell apart in the circular that chicken breast were $1.69lb on sale in 1985 (chicken breast were probably $0.89lb full price at that time)! In the letter, you did cleverly put gift certificate and not gift card as that's how store credits were issued then.

In the original M in Mouschi logo, is that satan in the bottom of the M?

Great laugh and great read!

Fordman

BTW, your pics are showing up in the FCB app just fine now

Last edited:

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I miss great posts on FCB. Awesome work and a creative and positive plus here on FCB. I definitely was believing the story :)

eltoro2012

Nov 3, 2013
I don't know what to believe anymore...is Jose Canseco even a real person?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts