Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebayers are morons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I started selling a few months ago. I have 171/100% feedback with 5 star ratings in everything except for shipping charges. That's around 4.6.

First off, it clearly states on any auction homepage what the shipping charge is. Mine is $3.50. If you don't like the shipping charge, do not bid.

It's not like my charge is exorbitant. It costs $2.01 to mail a 4oz package through Paypal shipping. The only place that carries Caremail #0 mailers charges $12.99 for a package of 10. So I'm up to $3.30 per package on cards I charge $3.50 to ship. Anything I sell for over $20 (which is nearly every card I sell) is shipped in a one-touch. At the LCS, those are $25 for a box of $25. So now I'm losing 80 cents on everything I ship. Not to mention the cost of packing tape, gas to get to the PO, graded card sleeves, printer ink and paper, etc.

Am I wrong to be pissed? This is getting ridiculous. I don't have the space nor inventory to buy 1000 mailers at a time. I do this out of my room at night

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I have a seriously awesome mailer hookup for you. Super cheap and you won't have to buy a lot.

As for the the rest, I offer free shipping and bury that cost into the item.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I ding anyone who charges over $3 for shipping one star. Free shipping is the way to go. You aren't recovering anything for shipping at the end of the day anyway. A $25 card is a $25 card whether it is $25 with free shipping or bid up to 21.50 plus your $3.50. No buyer is going to pay $25 plus $3.50 for shipping.

Why do you buy your shipping labels through paypal, but then drive to the PO. Just toss them in the mail box.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
You can buy 250 bubble mailers on eBay for a little over 10 cents per. Search 250 #0 bubble mailer.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Then you are an *******.

Nope, I sell a ton on eBay offering free shipping on all auctions for cards. Of course I am naturally going to think someone charging $3.50 for shipping only deserves 4 stars for reasonable shipping charges. If I were to give you 5 stars how would I properly score someone who ships free?

Nothing personal, but it isn't the buyers problem that you don't know how to buy smart on your materials and control your shipping cost.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I won't ding really if agreed to the price , but $3.50 is high. I think you could cut w / a better mailer cost and not using 1 Touch on everything. Which will also lower cost to ship in the 1-3 oz category. $2.50 I'd say is most common charge

Ryan

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
You can buy 250 bubble mailers on eBay for a little over 10 cents per. Search 250 #0 bubble mailer.

Those are garbage and offer zero protection when it comes to the post office carelessly throwing stuff around. The slightest ding can rip it, and the slightest knock can break or crease it.

The padded Caremail mailers cost, on average, $15 for 25. Cheaper in bulk (which I've already stated I do not have space for), and more expensive one box at a time. Shipping is often $4/box to free, depending on how much you buy. Lets just call it 65 cents/per on average.

I'm now up to $2.66 my cost on each shipment.

I might be wrong on the cost/25-ct box of one-touches. Might be $35/25 at the LCS instead of the $25 I originally stated, so lets use eBay as a proper gauge. They cost between $23 and $28 per box, so again we can use $1/per for argument's sake.

I'm now up to $3.66 on something I charge $3.50 for. I'm now only losing 16 cents instead of the 80 cents in my previous scenario. I won't even include the cost of other supplies and gas (I use a PO box, and the outgoing mail slot at the office is smaller than a ******'s ****)

So humor me and explain your justification for dinging anyone who charges over $3 for shipping, especially after stating you adjust your max bid based on what the seller charges for shipping.

Again, you seem like an *******

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Only thing I have to add to this convo is that I've shipped my last 500 or so packages using eBay bought bulk mailers and have 100% feedback.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I've found E-Lite are the best quality/cost on eBay for mailers:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/directdiscountinc?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

About $0.10 each at 300.
After that, top loader and penny sleeve should be around $0.10-0.15, team bag about $0.05. 1-3 cards in top loaders with two pieces of cardboard is < 3 oz, which when using eBay shipping is $1.93.

So for 3 cards you're looking at $2.53 or so shipped. I let eBay calculate 2 oz for single cards ($2.32 charged to buyer) then invoice for that up to 3 cards. $2.50 for up to 6 cards.

And I still get 4 star dings occasionally.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'd drop using the One Touch Will.

I only do it when I do an off-eBay deal where I know the person will appreciate it. The extra weight and cost of it are not worth the hassle of adding to your Shipping charge. Heck, most customers are gonna complain if the free-to-them one-touch has any scratches. :lol:

The way it's set up now, you're better off just doing free shipping. No dings on charges that way...

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Those are garbage and offer zero protection when it comes to the post office carelessly throwing stuff around. The slightest ding can rip it, and the slightest knock can break or crease it.

The padded Caremail mailers cost, on average, $15 for 25. Cheaper in bulk (which I've already stated I do not have space for), and more expensive one box at a time. Shipping is often $4/box to free, depending on how much you buy. Lets just call it 65 cents/per on average.

I'm now up to $2.66 my cost on each shipment.

I might be wrong on the cost/25-ct box of one-touches. Might be $35/25 at the LCS instead of the $25 I originally stated, so lets use eBay as a proper gauge. They cost between $23 and $28 per box, so again we can use $1/per for argument's sake.

I'm now up to $3.66 on something I charge $3.50 for. I'm now only losing 16 cents instead of the 80 cents in my previous scenario. I won't even include the cost of other supplies and gas (I use a PO box, and the outgoing mail slot at the office is smaller than a ******'s ****)

So humor me and explain your justification for dinging anyone who charges over $3 for shipping, especially after stating you adjust your max bid based on what the seller charges for shipping.

Again, you seem like an *******

My general rule of thumb is to only give 4 stars on any shipping charge over $3. I shouldn't cost more than that to ship a card. I do let common sense prevail, and I am reasonable. I have used those garbage mailers you mentioned for years and have had zero issues. 100% Positive 1000+ feedback.

Now feel free to continue on referring to others as morons and ******** just because they don't do things exactly how you think they should be done.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
My general rule of thumb is to only give 4 stars on any shipping charge over $3. I shouldn't cost more than that to ship a card. I do let common sense prevail, and I am reasonable. I have used those garbage mailers you mentioned for years and have had zero issues. 100% Positive 1000+ feedback.

Now feel free to continue on referring to others as morons and ******** just because they don't do things exactly how you think they should be done.

It DOES cost more than that to ship one card, as I've clearly explained.

...this was the beef of my original complain. Justify your actions

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It DOES cost more than that to ship one card, as I've clearly explained.

...this was the beef of my original complain. Justify your actions

I think the beef falls because you are forcing them to pay for the one touch and the more expensive mailer. I think most buyers are accustomed to cost of a mailer being under .25 and Top Loads. I get you state what your s/h is, but when they receive it and it says 2.01 (should be 1.92 w 3oz or less) and their like that $1.49 in additional cost was because my seller chose to buy more expensive mailers and cases they might not even want. So the ones who ding you don't see the value in being charged for nicer things like what it's shipped in.

Ryan

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I offer free shipping and bury that cost into the item.
This is the only way to go on cards these days. Other items too for the most part. I sell stuff I find at garages sales and weigh them before I list them to see the shipping cost. If it cost $10 to ship and I want $20 for the item, I list it at $34.95 with free shipping to cover some of the Ebay and Paypal fees also. I don't think Crewfan is being jerk. I do not leave stars for anyone (just + feedback) but anything over $2.95 for one card is high I think knowing the cost of my shipping.

Members online