Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kevin Towers Fired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'd have to call this a failed tenure.

People can't always have success - see Theo Epstein. You win some, you lose some when you make a hire thinking it's going to turn your franchise into having success like that individual had with another organization.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
People can't always have success - see Theo Epstein.

I don't understand this post at all. Are you saying his Cubs stay hasn't been successful? I'd say the exact opposite.

And Towers shoulda been more criticized for the awful Upton trade, one of the worst deals, if not THE worst, in recent memory.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Kevin Towers and Kirk Gibson ruined this franchise possibly worse than the Josh Byrnes/AJ Hinch era did:

*The Upton deal was the worst deal in franchise history. Even worse than the Sexson mega-trade. (I can go into details if anyone wants to hear them)

*Trading Martin Prado, the main piece in the Upton deal and someone Towers bragged would be a franchise guy, in a cash dump to New York

*Trevor Bauer, Adam Eaton, Tyler Skaggs...all traded for not fitting Towers and Gibson's stupid ass "gritty" mold

*Trading Gerardo Parra, who is maybe one of the best defensive guys in baseball and a hell of a platoon player, for a former 1st round pick that has done about zero

*Making bad signings in old veterans such as Jason Kubel, Heath Bell, Cody Ross, Joe Saunders, and Eric Hinske

*Acquiring Mark Trumbo, who is supposed to provide protection for Goldschmidt, but can't do anything besides hit HR.

*Giving Trevor Cahill a Todd Stottlemeyer-esque ****** contract

*Brandon McCarthy - goes from completely sucking here to being excellent for New York. Says Gibson told him not to use his cutter.

...I can keep going on but I'm getting more depressed with each line

Wes

OG
Administrator
Kevin Towers and Kirk Gibson ruined this franchise possibly worse than the Josh Byrnes/AJ Hinch era did:

*The Upton deal was the worst deal in franchise history. Even worse than the Sexson mega-trade. (I can go into details if anyone wants to hear them)

*Trading Martin Prado, the main piece in the Upton deal and someone Towers bragged would be a franchise guy, in a cash dump to New York

*Trevor Bauer, Adam Eaton, Tyler Skaggs...all traded for not fitting Towers and Gibson's stupid ass "gritty" mold

*Trading Gerardo Parra, who is maybe one of the best defensive guys in baseball and a hell of a platoon player, for a former 1st round pick that has done about zero

*Making bad signings in old veterans such as Jason Kubel, Heath Bell, Cody Ross, Joe Saunders, and Eric Hinske

*Acquiring Mark Trumbo, who is supposed to provide protection for Goldschmidt, but can't do anything besides hit HR.

*Giving Trevor Cahill a Todd Stottlemeyer-esque ****** contract

*Brandon McCarthy - goes from completely sucking here to being excellent for New York. Says Gibson told him not to use his cutter.

...I can keep going on but I'm getting more depressed with each line

Great summary.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Although I think [MENTION=1957]Wes[/MENTION] will dis-agree, I have no problem with getting Trumbo, who I think is under-rated.

Other than that, I agree with all your other statements...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I don't understand this post at all. Are you saying his Cubs stay hasn't been successful? I'd say the exact opposite.

yes. Theo won a WS in his 2nd year as BOS GM.

He's nearing the end of his 3rd season with the Cubs and hasn't sniffed a playoff, let alone a world series.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

He's nearing the end of his 3rd season with the Cubs and hasn't sniffed a playoff, let alone a world series.

But he inherited a pretty good team in Boston with the money available to add to it.

Chicago was a steaming pile when took over. He's rebuilt their System and adding some younger Veterans that have worked out. They are a fringe playoff team next year IMO and one or two good Starters away from being in the mix every year...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would say Theo has done great with the Chicago rebuild

I think because he didn't come right out and say they are rebuilding, people tend to think he's sucked, yet look at the Astros, who did openly say that rebuilding is their plan, and say they have done great with it

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'm glad this era is coming to an end and hope they move on from Gibson, just to clean up. I agree on some of the bad decisions listed above, but some I don't think were quite as bad as they sound as the players traded haven't produced all the highly either. I think its going to be a few years before they really compete again. A lot of injuries , some bigger than others over the last few years also. I hope they try to bring in some players sooner than later, but they may try to build from within and wait it out. For next year (and some have contracts where they may not be here), but I see

3rd - ? Maybe Lamb ?
SS - Owings (Needs to stay healthy)
2nd - ? Do you keep Hill ?
1st - Goldy (Needs to stay healthy)
OF - Pollack, Peralta, Inciarte , Trumbo?
SP - Corbin (Hope he comes back strong), Bradley?, Nuno?, Anderson, Collmenter, Miley?, Arroyo?
BP - Marshall, Ziegler, Reed

Any one have input on the roster ?

Ryan

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008

It's only a matter of time. Fear the Cubs. They are coming. As Theo always says, progress isn't always linear.

Members online