Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

King Felix or Chris Sale for AL Cy Young?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
While the NL race seems to be decided (despite impressive seasons by Cueto amongst others, right now Kershaw is in a different league) but the AL race is pretty interesting with a couple of guys putting up really impressive numbers:

Felix Hernandez -14-5 with a 2.12 ERA. He has the lowest WHIP in the AL at .915 and has 217 K's in 212 innings.

Chris Sale - Missed some time due to injury so he's only pitched 163 innings, but he leads the AL with a 1.99 ERA, and has struck out 192 batters in that time, leading the AL in K/9, FIP and ERA+.

I think most have Felix as the favorite at the moment and I think for now the additional innings pitched probably makes him the AL Cy Young in my book (if the season ended today) but it's a fun race to follow.

Who do you have as the AL Cy Young now?

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
I think the innings difference makes that vote easier. Granted, I'm a bit of a homer being from Seattle. :) Sale's had a helluva season though...drafted him in my fantasy league, so definitely happy to see him doing so well. He'll be pretty impressive if he can stay healthy.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
I've always thought Chris Sale is the most underrated pitcher in the AL and has the cheapest Bowman Chrome Auto for an all star out there.

With that said, I got to give the nod to King Felix

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hernandez will win, barring a few bad games in the final three weeks.
But a relatively unknown AL pitcher is having nearly as great of a season as Felix, in identical innings.

Corey Kluber: 212 innings, 230 strikeouts, 15 wins, 2.45 era
Felix Hernandez: 212 innings, 217 strikeouts, 14 wins, 2.12 era

Kluber could conceivably win the Cy Young if Felix and Sale have a poor final three weeks, and other more well-known pitchers like Scherzer and Price don't pull ahead.

I was going to mention Kluber as well but the Indians are taking a back seat to the Royals/Tigers race for that division.

I think if Garrett Richards did not get hurt, he would be in the discussion as well and may be the frontrunner. Call me crazy but I think Matt Shoemaker will probably get some votes as well.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Did Felix just open the door for Sale or Kluber?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Did Felix just open the door for Sale or Kluber?
Probably not. Even with tonight's clobbering, Hernandez has pitched so many innings that his overall stats are barely harmed.
He still leads AL pitchers in WHIP and is second in ERA.
It will be a close race and Kluber and Sale have been just as great, but I think Felix will still win, and he still has a shot at a 15th win to make his case stronger to voters.

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Kinda surprised that Lester hasn't gotten even a whisper here, with better support in Oakland, he'd be at 20 wins, at least.

And Greg Holland should at least be mentioned IMO...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I just came here to make a thread about a case for Kluber for Cy Young.

My votes would go:

Kluber
Felix

and Sale would be like 5th for me. He has only pitched 26 games. And he's not 21-3 with a 1.77 ERA.

I really believe Kluber should get it this year.

hohlernr

Dec 1, 2012
Michigan
If Kluber has a good game tomorrow I have to believe the cy young goes to him since King Felix had a terrible game the other day. Kluber's stats since the all star break have been unbelievable - I think even better than kershaw (don't quote me on that).

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
If Kluber has a good game tomorrow I have to believe the cy young goes to him since King Felix had a terrible game the other day. Kluber's stats since the all star break have been unbelievable - I think even better than kershaw (don't quote me on that).
Boom. Kluber now has my vote with his final pitching line of 8IP 5H 0ER 2BB 11K. ERA now at 2.44 and WHIP at 1.09, and now leads the ML with 269 K's.

His second half stats are: 9-3 1.73 ERA 127K/104IP...crazy! Kershaw has a 1.76 second half ERA, so would would be correct. ;)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Felix overtook Sale in the final game for the ERA title. He's also the only AL pitcher with a WHiP under 1.00.
It's going to be very close between Hernandez and Kluber. Both are deserving.

Members online

Latest posts