User Tag List

Thread: Why does everyone hate Windows 8?

premiumprospects
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone hate Windows 8?

With the reveal of Windows 10, every article mentions how bad 8 is.

I don't mind 8, personally.

I think it sports a nice UI and the Metro screen is cool, even though I rarely use it.

My biggest issue is when my cursor ends up on the right side of the screen, the menu bar seems to always appear. But other than that small annoyance, I don't really have many complaints

...Oh, I couldn't connect to the previous VPN I was using, so that is another complaint I remember. (It's a Windows 8 issue, from the message boards I read looking for a fix)

Is lack of a start button really that big of an issue for people? Because that seems to be why everyone is *****ing.

What do you guys think?

shayscards79
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind it, but I can see why some people that don't have touch screens that run it don't like it. It's a cluster**** to figure out using a mouse and keyboard, especially if you didn't update it with the start button.

I've gotten used to it as I have it on my Surface and my phone. Everything syncs up great and is easy to use on the touch screens.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Windows 8.1 with a mouse and I like it, except for the unsigned driver BS that makes me have to double boot up when I first turn on my machine every day in order to disable the unsigned driver check in order to run my satellite tuner card that uses a trusted-source unsigned driver.

And I don't know why anyone would hate Windows 8.... if you upgrade it to 8.1, create a few icons, and set a few settings. I did that to my dad's laptop and it behaves very much like XP that his learning curve on the new laptop that came with windows 8 was only moments.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They honestly should have made 2 versions of Windows 8. A tablet touch version and a PC version. Not everyone has a touch screen laptop/desktop which made the UI frustrating. Imagine they made an OS for tablets where you needed to click a mouse rather than touching a screen? How would tablet users feel about that?

brewtowncardboard
     jordo2323
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the businesses that I install networks for are requesting downgrades to Windows 7 still.
    ----------SIGNATURE STARTS HERE-----------

FOLLOW SHEETSKOUT ON TWiTTER!

PHOTOBUCKET PROSPECTS

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
    Not everyone has a touch screen laptop/desktop which made the UI frustrating.
    how is the UI frustrating with a mouse? I don't have a touch monitor for my win 8.1 machine (yet) and the only "frustrating" I can think of right now in windows 8.1 is not so bad as it involves a mouse grab and swipe on what I think is called the lock screen to get rid of it to get to my login screen.

I only have to hover off the edge of the screen to bring up the charms or to bring up the minimize/maximize/close buttons to close the windows that the OS generates. I've created power, restart, and "disable unsigned driver check" icons so those can be done with just a mouse click (much shorter with one click than the navigation path in win8.1 and even windows 7!)

a lot of things I do with windowskey-S (like to get to the device driver management or pull up the command prompt) so it saves a lot of keystrokes there.

premiumprospects
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
    They honestly should have made 2 versions of Windows 8. A tablet touch version and a PC version. Not everyone has a touch screen laptop/desktop which made the UI frustrating. Imagine they made an OS for tablets where you needed to click a mouse rather than touching a screen? How would tablet users feel about that?
    From what I read, Microsoft banked on touchscreen pcs becoming the norm. As we know, their bet lost.

My mom bought a touchscreen computer when they were relatively new. She rarely uses the feature (novelty?) now.

Quote Originally Posted by sheetskout View Post
    Most of the businesses that I install networks for are requesting downgrades to Windows 7 still.
    Businesses I can see downgrading because they dont need the Metro UI

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my girl has windows8 0n a laptop. I cant find stuff to many screens moving and flying bye. screw the cloud to.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The basics of how to use Windows hasn't changed since 1995. Of coarse there is going to be blow back when you change everything away from the start button.

I tried to use windows 8 and couldn't figure out how to do anything instantly. If it had been my computer I would have eventually learned it, but if I'm going to have to learn how to do everything all over again I would probably just buy an apple then.
    Have 15 minutes to kill? Check out my site...IUjapander Cards

untouchabletechniq
     Techniq650
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in the market for a laptop, I was dead set on a touchscreen.

I got that touchscreen an I used it for a week until I realized how tedious and unnecessary it is. I don't like it and don't use it... The touchscreen, not the laptop. However, my wife seems incredibly loyal to using the touchscreen, an I can't stand the fingerprints.

Back to the topic, Windows 8 is fine by me.. I usually stick to the desktop and don't worry about that main screen much. Only thing that irritates me is the menus that pop up every time my pointer runs off the screen as I generally don't use those anyway.. But that's pretty minor, I could probably disable it anyway.
    Please take a look at my blog https://baseballpackaday.blogspot.com - rather self explanatory, I'd love any thoughts, comments, or opinions!
    Always looking for good pack deals and/or donations!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 8 seems to gimmicky. Just give me a damn home screen and let me use MS office. Thats about all I use my laptop for. Ill stick to touch screen on a tablet and surfing.

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hated it the first couple of days but now i'm kind of enjoying it.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill