Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who doesn't own at least one Beckett Almanac or a Krause Standard Catalog?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was reading a thread on another site and an established member asked a question that seemed so basic that I just got to wondering…how many collectors/dealers are making their way through this crazy world of card collecting without owning/using one of the "bibles" or "big books"? There is so much good information in them, but it is obvious that not everyone uses them.

I used to update them every couple of years, sometimes alternating between Beckett and Krause, sometimes buying both in the same year. After I lost interest in the vast majority of newer issues and with the print getting to be microscopic, I stopped buying new copies, although I bet every once in a while something new and neat shows up in a new edition that was previously uncataloged. Not really worth the $40 or so they used to cost for a few new items each year, but having one copy to me is a must.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don't. I have an old one probably somewhere in a box and I know I have one of those like 1,000 page books somewhere which I'll reference for oddball stuff or cards I'm trying to sharpen up my facts on but I don't actively use a Beckett or similar book. eBay and other sources are best for price. For Belle, best is what's in my head since its been nearly the only cards I have monitored forever.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
They are INCREDIBLY awesome to use as a checklist, But they also rock just for the sheer volume of information they provide, especially on the regional, vintage and odd ball stuff.

So I'm clear, I'm NOT talking about the big annual book Beckett puts out (forgot the exact title) which is basically a huge version of their monthly baseball.

I'm talking about the one which has a billion pages and covers just about every card (and similar) made, from basic topps to the obscure supermarket issue from 1950 and everything in between.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've got something like 5 Standard Catalogs, the last Standard Catalog of Minor League cards, a Beckett Almanac, the last big Beckett Alphabetical book and the two editions of Gary Engel's Japanese guides. The pricing is almost completely useless, but I absolutely love them as reference books. Lately I find myself digging through them when I'm posting cards to my eCrater store and turn up an error (corrected or not) and to find out whether it was previously documented. There are a surprising number of variations that come and go in the listings as the years pass. From a purely academic perspective, this hobby is very sloppily documented. I would love a comprehensive encyclopedia style book over any price guide, but it's the pricing that is apparently the selling point.

It does astound me at the number of people who have never heard of the big books and have what they think are unique questions about their 1988 Donruss cards.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I use them solely as for checklists and ID guides. Pricing in those books is of minimal value to me, although it is a starting point for those who choose to see it that way.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I've got an Almanac from a few years back but I can't remember the last time I used it. I generally use Beckett's website for card info because at this time I'm not ravenously searching for obscure cards from the 80's on back.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I tossed my standard catalog from 2007 a couple of years ago. Wish I didn't, loved that thing if only for checklists and seeing sets I'd never heard of.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
What year is that from and does it have print-runs? Any idea where I can find one?

The last edition was from 2000. It lists print runs for lots of sets.

Cheap copy on eBay (as long as no serious bidding happens) http://r.ebay.com/dGs9az

All the copies on Amazon and Half.com seem to be priced more as collectibles than just used books. There are a lot of sets in there that Beckett still does not list. One of the later Standard Catalogs incorporated almost all of this information and even pushed it forward a bit (either the 2003 or 2004 edition), but eventually they cut almost all of the post 1990 minor league checklists and just listed set names and values. I was hugely disappointed in that on the 2010 book that came with the CD. That was a perfect opportunity to include the SCD ENTIRE database, but they went for the less is less approach. That's a company that still doesn't grasp what the Internet is for, and apparently only uses computers for typesetting.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I think I have 2 beckett Almanacs 1998 & 2002 or 03? Not sure. They are somewhere mixed in with all my old Becketts, Tuff Stuff, Baseball Cards magazines. I studied up and read all about regional issues and test issues. Gained a lot of knowledge that I've used and shared over the years. Never cared much for the pricing mostly just used it mostly as a reference checklist guide.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
It is my Bible.....;)

I emailed Bob Lemke (editor of the Standard Catalog's vintage sections) once to see if I had an obscure Ted Williams card not in the Big Book. He could not identify the card but thought it to be a modern card made to look old.

Here it is for old time sake......

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I have 4 or 5 copies of the Krause Standard Catalog. I don't care what the prices say. I just use it to find info on vintage cards. I also have a copy of the Beckett alphabetical guide.

Members online