Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Feeding frenzy: '96 Leaf Preferred Bronze Steel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Curious what the market is. It seems like the entire set was made ? The seller seems strange the way he is handling it , but I'm sure some collectors have been waiting for their player to hit. I moved my Clark last year that I had since somewhere in the 90s (96-98 I think) . So those questioning them existing , I'd say are off. Unless they could be faked as well , but I'm unsure if that.

Ryan

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Curious what the market is. It seems like the entire set was made ? The seller seems strange the way he is handling it , but I'm sure some collectors have been waiting for their player to hit. I moved my Clark last year that I had since somewhere in the 90s (96-98 I think) . So those questioning them existing , I'd say are off. Unless they could be faked as well , but I'm unsure if that.

Ryan

hard to tell if the Font on the others are as Bold as this one on the Backs
$_57.JPG
96-Leaf-Preferred-Bronze.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The way the guy writes irritates me. Aside from the grammar and punctuation, everything is made out to be way more mysterious than it needs to be. I know a guy who knows a guy...Leaf executives have little knowledge...What I'm doing is helping him sell these cards (in the ebay listing, no kidding?)...these are 15x rarer than Mirror Golds ergo 15x more valuable. So basically it sounds like the promos were printed in small quantities and not distributed much, if at all. Possibly they were tests and Donruss decided not to send them out for one reason or another, so they got stuck in a box that eventually found its way out of the factory. This isn't the first time that happened. The business about the cards "not being made by Leaf" is dumb. Many cards, especially specialty items like this, are printed by outside contractors. But the way he describes it, this rogue printing company in Chicago took the law into their own hands.

I wouldn't mind picking up the Piazza, but if he wants $250 for the Galarraga, I imagine $1K would be the starting price for the Piazza, which isn't an impulse buy. He's been posting all over recently asking for more info. He does include a pic of his Jeters, too, which is nice.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
With the font MP , I think getting the Steel color in the right areas would be the hardest thing ? The thing is he stated when he bought the Jeter he paid $70 ...??? Now the seller he is "helping" knows the market now ? And I agree , why would anyone cover and say they weren't made by Leaf but a Chicago company. It's very strange to include that. My belief was it was more of a test color that they scrapped to go w Gold / Silver . As much as everything could be legit , it comes off odd for sure.

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Man, that's just all around odd and strange. I'm REALLY glad there isn't a Belle in that lot. I have no idea what it would cost me but with Beckett not recognizing these, I'm OK to try and think of them as nothing haha

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I want to make sure I'm understanding this story correctly.

Jeter collector finds someone with rare promo cards. Jeter collector screws owner of said card by paying $70 for a card he knows would sell for over $2,000. Jeter collector brags about screwing owner out of the Jeter. After the transaction, Jeter collector lets owner know how valuable the other cards are. Owner of cards is so appreciative of getting F'd in the A that he is now letting Jeter collector sell his other cards on ebay. Jeter collector is not in possession of cards he is now selling on ebay.

Seems legit. I don't see anything that could go wrong here.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
"The Ripken that sold for $1500.00 was listed for 1 hour and they were contacted with a $1500.00 offer which they excepted." That's not true, the Ripken was listed for at least a couple of weeks before it was picked up.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I want to make sure I'm understanding this story correctly.

Jeter collector finds someone with rare promo cards. Jeter collector screws owner of said card by paying $70 for a card he knows would sell for over $2,000. Jeter collector brags about screwing owner out of the Jeter. After the transaction, Jeter collector lets owner know how valuable the other cards are. Owner of cards is so appreciative of getting F'd in the A that he is now letting Jeter collector sell his other cards on ebay. Jeter collector is not in possession of cards he is now selling on ebay.

Seems legit. I don't see anything that could go wrong here.

That's my summary too. Any idea where the Jeter was listed ?

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Thanks , couldn't search it on mobile. It's listed , pulled , listed cheaper and pulled again. Weird , and I'm surprised the seller wouldn't have been contacted by multiple people with much better offers than $70. Anyway , as weird as the "seller" is handling them , they may be just as legit as they should be. But the story is just weird IMO

Ryan

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
Thanks , couldn't search it on mobile. It's listed , pulled , listed cheaper and pulled again. Weird , and I'm surprised the seller wouldn't have been contacted by multiple people with much better offers than $70. Anyway , as weird as the "seller" is handling them , they may be just as legit as they should be. But the story is just weird IMO

Ryan

First time it ended around $32 and didn't hit reserve and was listed again then pulled.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
DAMMIT! I just purchased silver and gold promos of Rickey with and without peel, thinking I completed the run. I was actually thinking about the bronze yesterday saying I was glad it didn't exist. So much for that!