Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you remember the first Beckett magazine you bought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Someone mentioned this in another post and forgive me if this is a recycled topic, but searching for a topic leads to pages of unrelated threads, so i don't bother any more.

Mine was baseball and either March 88 (Seitzer) or April 88 (Santiago). I was in the Navy by that time and i think a collecting buddy turned me on to the magazine. I obviously missed the boat when I was still in HS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beckett-Bas...o-Jackson-Clemens-1988-March-36-/321029712474

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Benito-S...intage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item2342f9951c

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
no clue but i do know i was older. As a kid i couldnt justify spending all that money on a Baseball, Basketball, and Football price guide when i could just buy a TuffStuff and get all the prices in one. lol

plus i enjoyed all the promos that Tuffstuff used to put in their mags.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Never subscribed, or even bought a Beckett when I was a kid.

The earliest memory of a price guide for me was a late '85 C.C.P. (Odibee McDowell cover!) Which I remember reading while in a diner.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I think it was the jan/Feb 1988 with Mattingly on the cover.

I was at Harbour Place with a cousin and there use to be a place called Jeppi's comic world in the light street pavilion. Had been collecting since 86 and Mattingly was my favorite player. So I finally bought my 1st beckett that day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
I traded for my first one. I don't even remember the cards I gave up... but the card shop owner probably came out well ahead! :(

Don't remember the exact issue. It had Bo Jackson on the cover so probably sometime in '88.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Definitely the 1987 issue with McGwire on the cover. The story about the kid demonstrating card flipping games with a fistful of McGwire Olympic cards to fling at a brick wall is burned into my mind as one of the most insane things I'd ever seen in the hobby. Maybe he wasn't actually using them, and it was just the photo they used with the article because of the cover, but the implication was clear and annoying. That set the tone for me for Beckett. I think I bought one more issue in the next 10 years, only because Dave Winfield was on the back cover. I was more of a CCP, Baseball Cards, and Tuff Stuff reader from then on.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I think the first one I bought had Bo Jackson. Where he had the football shoulder pads on and the bat over his shoulders. I might even still have it. :rolleyes:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
February 1989 with Mike Greenwell on the cover. I still have it (along with all of my other old baseball Becketts, tossed most of my football issues years ago). If I remember right I bought it at a grocery store that had a small hobby shop-like display case section. Yes that's how widespread cards were in 1989.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I bought the third magazine Beckett ever put out. This was after buying their annuals, which were the only price guides available at the time. I wish I still had the first Beckett magazine I bought as well as the first two he put out.

stokelydokely

Oct 21, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
The January 1996 issue. I must have bought it at a card show at the mall, and I imagine it was at least a month or two old at that point. I remember being struck by the cool photo collage, especially Carlos Baerga looking so casual diving toward second base. The reds, whites, and blues of the Braves' and Indians' uniforms, framed by thick black lines, captured the October drama that I had felt as a 12-year-old Yankees fan in the fall of '95.

The following December, my parents got me a subscription. My very first issue was January '97, with my Yankees and the words "RETURN TO GLORY" on the cover. I thought I was subscribed for at least 3-4 years, but a quick Googling of old covers plus a search of my memory leads me to believe I only got the magazine until October or November '99.

Members online

No members online now.