Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stanton - Marlins agree 13 YR/$325 million pact

brewtowncardboard
     jordo2323
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reports saying this deal is also backloaded - which is good for the Marlins if he opts out in the middle.
    https://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...ily-backloaded
    ----------SIGNATURE STARTS HERE-----------

FOLLOW SHEETSKOUT ON TWiTTER!

PHOTOBUCKET PROSPECTS

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheetskout View Post
    Reports saying this deal is also backloaded - which is good for the Marlins if he opts out in the middle.
    https://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...ily-backloaded
    "According to a major league source who had seen the terms, Stanton's salaries over those first three seasons will be only $6.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017, far less than he could have earned through arbitration in 2015 and 2016 and then via free agency. He would earn $77 million over the next three seasons and could opt out of the contract after 2020, following his age 30 season."

Not a coincidence that this is also when the current television contract is up.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

James52411
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have known that with Loria involved, there is a catch related to his personal enrichment. The Marlins TV deal is up in 2020 and they plan to begin negotiations in the next 2-3 years. This is an attempt to improve local ratings, which are the worst nationally, and improve their bargaining position to offer his TV partners a team with a star attraction. Winning and signing his star player will make Loria money, so now he's willing to do those things.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James52411 View Post
    I should have known that with Loria involved, there is a catch related to his personal enrichment. The Marlins TV deal is up in 2020 and they plan to begin negotiations in the next 2-3 years. This is an attempt to improve local ratings, which are the worst nationally, and improve their bargaining position to offer his TV partners a team with a star attraction. Winning and signing his star player will make Loria money, so now he's willing to do those things.
    Did you think baseball wasn't a business? No owner EVER makes ANY move unless he believes it will make him more money somehow. That is why they own the teams. Owners only care about championships because they tend to result in more money through merchandise, tickets, and TV deals. Now are they always the right moves? No, but they are made to improve profits. Maybe this is the cynical accountant in me, but I think not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does no one learn from the Yankees stupid mistakes/big contract signings?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the Marlins are trying to now lock down their core of young players.

https://m.mlb.com/news/article/102880...ins-core-group
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My customer is happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1417573946321.jpg  

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    My customer is happy
    Is your customer a Marlins fan?
    Because if not, I don't know why the owner of a Stanton superfractor would be happy, since he'll be playing in a relative obscurity, compared to if he had signed to a team with a huge fan base, which translates to much higher prices.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Is your customer a Marlins fan?
    Because if not, I don't know why the owner of a Stanton superfractor would be happy, since he'll be playing in a relative obscurity, compared to if he had signed to a team with a huge fan base, which translates to much higher prices.
    Maybe the Marlins super fan sitting behind the plate for all the World Series games bought it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123