Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jason Heyward/Jordan Walden Traded to the Cardinals For Shelby Miller/Tyrell Jenkins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Cardinals only win the trade if they re-sign Heyward. Miller could be a middle of the rotation guy for the next decade, with potential upside to be better than that.

Dont forget, if they dont resign Heyward the Cards receive a first round pick in exchange.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I like the trade for both teams. I don't think Shelby was going to live up to his hype in STL and Heyward has plateaued in ATL. A win / win, where both teams fill needs.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Dont forget, if they dont resign Heyward the Cards receive a first round pick in exchange.

Good point. So one year of Heyward, Walden for the bullpen, and a first round pick, in exchange for 4 years of Miller, who will be arbitration eligible for most of the contract. I guess there is the chance that Miller pays the Braves a pick in 2019 if he leaves. It's a defensible trade for the Cardinals if Heyward leaves, particularly since STL is dealing from a strength and it's tough to get a bat these days.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If heyward didn't play gold glove defense he would be a platoon player.
his splits were terrible. His bat has never lived up to the power projections. Maybe the change is what he needs

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
All I know is someone apparently snapped up the 2011 Museum Edition Heyward that'd been sitting on ebay for a long time. I kept waiting for the seller to drop the price. Should've taken negotiation offline.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
All I know is someone apparently snapped up the 2011 Museum Edition Heyward that'd been sitting on ebay for a long time. I kept waiting for the seller to drop the price. Should've taken negotiation offline.

How much was it?

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I had this back in the summer of 2010 and got $575 for it. I doubt it will ever get that again.

Cardinals filled a void, so they are content, I'm sure. Braves are stocking up on pitching, so they are content, I'm sure. I'd rather have a solid starting pitcher (nevermind Jenkins) than an average hitting (with below-average power numbers) outfielder. Maybe the Red Sox can trade Jackie Bradley Jr. to St.Louis now for Carlos Martinez or Marco Gonzales? :D

Even Pedro Martinez' numbers showed some "regression" for his first several years in the majors, and then? Obviously the Braves see more potential in Miller than Heyward. I guess we shall all find out soon...

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
If heyward didn't play gold glove defense he would be a platoon player.
his splits were terrible. His bat has never lived up to the power projections. Maybe the change is what he needs

Sorry but no. You seem fixated on his power projections. His wRC+ in contrast was middle of the pack for all qualified OF'ers and RF'ers alike, above power hitters like Cespedes. His best tool is his defense but his speed and OBP provides value in run creation.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Sorry but no. You seem fixated on his power projections. His wRC+ in contrast was middle of the pack for all qualified OF'ers and RF'ers alike, above power hitters like Cespedes. His best tool is his defense but his speed and OBP provides value in run creation.
Does he play GG D though?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Does he play GG D though?

Not only is he the best defensive RF'er by a wide margin, he also is a top 5 defender among all OF'ers and perhaps a top 10 defender in all of MLB. You being a Cardinals fan?......................Trust me, you will like.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Not only is he the best defensive RF'er by a wide margin, he also is a top 5 defender among all OF'ers and perhaps a top 10 defender in all of MLB. You being a Cardinals fan?......................Trust me, you will like.

He can bat .250 at the plate and win a GG and Cardinals fans will adore him

wildcat4

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Illinois
No one is talking about the other player the Cardinals got in the deal. In my opinion Heyward for Miller is a fairly even deal, but the Cardinals got a proven late inning reliever also for a prospect. That prospect has potential, but all he is at this point is a prospect that has proven absolutely nothing at the major league level. The Cardinals get the better end of this deal because they got Walden. If they don't get him then I'd call the trade a push.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I'm impressed someone of his size can move well enough in the OF to even be considered for a Gold Glove.

WaxPax

Good point. So one year of Heyward, Walden for the bullpen, and a first round pick, in exchange for 4 years of Miller, who will be arbitration eligible for most of the contract. I guess there is the chance that Miller pays the Braves a pick in 2019 if he leaves. It's a defensible trade for the Cardinals if Heyward leaves, particularly since STL is dealing from a strength and it's tough to get a bat these days.

Also not mentioned here is the Braves shed roughly 10M in payroll for 2015 in this swap as well. Heyward 7M and Walden 3M vs Miller's around league minimum rate. Taking on payroll is also a consideration to be factored into the trade....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

The Braves get Miller for 2015, just like the Cardinals get Heyward for 2015 under control at a reasonable rate, but Miller will be arbitration eligible going into 2016. So the control will be there but will the rate be reasonable going forward? I would like Miller at the back end of my favorite team's rotation but if you are looking toward a top spot I do not see Miller being that at all. He has a two pitch mix, with a mid-90's four-seam fastball and an often flat curve that he has a hard time throwing for strikes.

Also not mentioned here is the Braves shed roughly 10M in payroll for 2015 in this swap as well. Heyward 7M and Walden 3M vs Miller's around league minimum rate. Taking on payroll is also a consideration to be factored into the trade....

It was addressed a couple of times. While the Braves will shed some money this up coming season, are they rebuilding? What are they trying to sell to the fans? What are they needing to free up this money for? Their staff as a whole was top 10 in efficiency, their offense was bottom 5. Adding a replacement level pitcher will not raise their staff position but removing Heyward will certainly lower their offensive production. Puzzling move in my opinion by the Braves, as they did not address any needs by this move.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
What im fixated on is his splits cause theyre horrendous if you cant see that whats the point. He cant hit lefties at all which lends value to my statement. You dont put much into power numbers but plenty of GM's do. I dont see Heyward anymore valuable then Brett Gardner.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
What im fixated on is his splits cause theyre horrendous if you cant see that whats the point. He cant hit lefties at all which lends value to my statement. You dont put much into power numbers but plenty of GM's do. I dont see Heyward anymore valuable then Brett Gardner.

His splits against lefties are of concern but consider that is only around a 1/3 of his at bats. I did not say I did not put much into power numbers either. I said you can still be productive without hitting home runs. Not sure if your Gardner comment is supposed to be a slight but if Heyward plays at that level he will continue to have high value.

Members online

No members online now.