Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1995 Alta Loma Cigar cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Edit: As the rest of this thread details, after some investigative digging it was found that these cards are not legit or legal cards in any way. Alta Loma Cigars never existed as a company. The eBayer selling these cards also created the source website in my post below to fool collectors (including me) into thinking these were legit. Please read the entire thread before buying any of these cards.

So while scrolling thru eBay last week stumbled upon this card which I had never seen or heard of before---

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1417818067.424192.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1417818077.599124.jpg

Not listed on Beckett's checklist and barely a mention of them anywhere. Took a chance anyways as I always love the oddballs and ended up buying it after finding some info here about them

http://portasite.com/?cat=259

"Alta Loma were made for just one year, 1995. Dimensions are 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
The last known tobacco cards ever issued, one card was found in each retail package of 4 hand-rolled cigars, sold under the brand name “Alta Loma Premiums” during that year.
The company operated during the 1990s in Tampa, Florida.
The cards are thick and sturdy, printed on pasteboard with monochrome fronts and spot color on the backs.
Alta Lomas are all serial-numbered, and only 50 of each card was created. This makes assembling a set of them an impossible feat. At this time, there is no known checklist available."

Explains why I had never heard of them and why Beckett never had them listed, even though they are really "pack" issued.

Really cool card and always love finding undiscovered Doerr stuff to add to my collection! Anybody else have an Alta Loma of their player?

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Something numbered to 50 in 1995 is unheard of. Even if the price didn't break the bank, that's a great rarity to add. Congrats and hopefully some other player collectors can find their guys.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
So while scrolling thru eBay last week stumbled upon this card which I had never seen or heard of before---

View attachment 43586
View attachment 43587

Not listed on Beckett's checklist and barely a mention of them anywhere. Took a chance anyways as I always love the oddballs and ended up buying it after finding some info here about them

http://portasite.com/?cat=259

"Alta Loma were made for just one year, 1995. Dimensions are 2.5 x 3.5 inches.
The last known tobacco cards ever issued, one card was found in each retail package of 4 hand-rolled cigars, sold under the brand name “Alta Loma Premiums” during that year.
The company operated during the 1990s in Tampa, Florida.
The cards are thick and sturdy, printed on pasteboard with monochrome fronts and spot color on the backs.
Alta Lomas are all serial-numbered, and only 50 of each card was created. This makes assembling a set of them an impossible feat. At this time, there is no known checklist available."

Explains why I had never heard of them and why Beckett never had them listed, even though they are really "pack" issued.

Really cool card and always love finding undiscovered Doerr stuff to add to my collection! Anybody else have an Alta Loma of their player?

Thanks,
Jeff

Nice find!

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Something numbered to 50 in 1995 is unheard of. Even if the price didn't break the bank, that's a great rarity to add. Congrats and hopefully some other player collectors can find their guys.

Thought the same thing...was shocked that it popped up with a SP of 0.99--ended up getting for $43 Dlvd which I consider very reasonable!

Another thing to note--Doerr is card #430---have to wonder how many different cards where actually designed and produced by a small Tobacco company here in Tampa. 500?! Who knows unless a checklist is ever released, which almost 20 years later, but you never know.

Thanks,
Jeff

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Thought the same thing...was shocked that it popped up with a SP of 0.99--ended up getting for $43 Dlvd which I consider very reasonable!

Another thing to note--Doerr is card #430---have to wonder how many different cards where actually designed and produced by a small Tobacco company here in Tampa. 500?! Who knows unless a checklist is ever released, which almost 20 years later, but you never know.

Thanks,
Jeff

Looks like they were for all sorts of things, not just baseball.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
They were multi sport. From the website I listed above

" The subjects are baseball players, actresses, boxers, football players, and other famous personalities. Known cards are: Ty Cobb, Floyd Patterson, Rick Casares, Al Lopez, Babe Ruth, Pete Rose, Willie Mays, Carole Lombard, Brooks Robinson, and Paul Hornung."

Thanks,
Jeff

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I don't believe these are from 1995 at all. There are way too many guys making these homemade cards, and it doesn't take much to throw up a made up date on them.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Looks like a decently made custom, like the Millhouse tobacco cards or other similar offerings. I would guess that if they were actually packaged in tobacco products, odds are that they were made w/o obtaining consent from the people, their estates or any other license/trademark owners. I could be wrong, but they just don't seem legitimate enough to have been an authorized issue.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
With the info I found on line, and after verifying with my LCS (local cigar shop) here in Tampa where Alta Loma was based and that they did in fact distribute these in ALTA LOMA packs of cigars, I'm pretty confident these were released in and around 1995.

Now are they authorized cards? No but what's so wrong with that--if your getting technical neither are Paninis

I also make a drastic distinction between those crappy Millhouse cards on eBay and this as they were printed and packed out, whereas Millhouse's are just printed on demand.

General guidelines for inclusion in Beckett is being packed out, and the only reason I believe these aren't really catalogued is because Alta Loma never produced a checklist for some reason. After the holidays slow down, I plan on doing so looking around here in the Tampa Bay Area to see if any shops or dealers have any promo materials or maybe even a checklist laying around!!

Thanks,
Jeff

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
With the info I found on line, and after verifying with my LCS (local cigar shop) here in Tampa where Alta Loma was based and that they did in fact distribute these in ALTA LOMA packs of cigars, I'm pretty confident these were released in and around 1995.

Now are they authorized cards? No but what's so wrong with that--if your getting technical neither are Paninis

I also make a drastic distinction between those crappy Millhouse cards on eBay and this as they were printed and packed out, whereas Millhouse's are just printed on demand.

General guidelines for inclusion in Beckett is being packed out, and the only reason I believe these aren't really catalogued is because Alta Loma never produced a checklist for some reason. After the holidays slow down, I plan on doing so looking around here in the Tampa Bay Area to see if any shops or dealers have any promo materials or maybe even a checklist laying around!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Keep us updated, I m skeptical but intrigued.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I bought some of the millhouse type cards and they are decent cards for what they are, customs. I got tired of seeing a new border design every other week though. I offered the seller a lesser price for all unique garvey cards and said I'd continue to buy them at that price and was ignored. It appears they have since gone unsold each time they were listed. There is a finite market for them, that is for sure. Hence the reason they are making only 3 copies of each design lately.

I would compare these Alta cards to a better made broder that was issued in the 80s as a collector set, like a big Apple Card Co. issue or similar. Being packed out helps legitimize them more, like the Helmar cards that hit the streets a few years back, but anyone can issue a homemade card with a product they sell and as long as it doesn't catch the attention of someone else (if they are not legal), then it will continue as long as they are willing to allow it to continue. I guess I would ask what is stopping someone from making more later, even using the same serial numbers, if they are not licensed and regulated in some manner?

That being said, I would consider buying one regardless if there was a Garvey, if the price were right.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
General guidelines for inclusion in Beckett is being packed out

110% incorrect......if this were true , beckett would have almost no oddball issues , promos , stadium giveaways , etc listed....

i did google alta loma cigar (company) earlier today....pretty much the ONLY results are ebay listings for alta loma cigar trading cards....i found nothing of such a cigar company actually ever existing , let alone a tiny local one actually putting forth the effort to print and pack out such a diverse trading card set.....i'm in total agreement with mrmopar one this one - this has all the looks of another homemade concoction whose sellers are trying to pass off as legitimate issues (which is my big problem with the millhouse and other similar issues - if they were actually DESCRIBED as custom cards instead of ultra rare cigarette cards or whatever other description is used i'd have no problems with them)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I just did some quick digging. Seems this seller is the only one in the world who has these Alta cards and in mass quantities. They are making a pretty penny off them too!

http://stores.ebay.com/grouchyoldmanbaseballcards?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Oddly enough, they also have all kinds of other "custom" cards that look somewhat "legit" made by Miller Press, Monarch Corona Printing, Superior Card Co., etc.

These MAY have actually been printed to be distributed in cigar packages, but the whole thing just seems fishy.

In the end though, it's worth what someone will pay and with the rise in ACEO and other custom cards, there IS a market for them.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
I would compare these Alta cards to a better made broder that was issued in the 80s as a collector set, like a big Apple Card Co. issue or similar. Being packed out helps legitimize them more, like the Helmar cards that hit the streets a few years back, but anyone can issue a homemade card with a product they sell and as long as it doesn't catch the attention of someone else (if they are not legal), then it will continue as long as they are willing to allow it to continue. I guess I would ask what is stopping someone from making more later, even using the same serial numbers, if they are not licensed and regulated in some manner

I agree with you here---they are definitely not legal in any sense besides they were distributed and a remake is a significant concern of mine as well. But I took the chance due to the scarcity of other older regional issues (Bond bread, tip top) from back in the 50/60s. I may eat crow if they turn out to be like Millhouse, but I have to do some more digging before seeing where they stand.

Thanks,
Jeff

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
I just did some quick digging. Seems this seller is the only one in the world who has these Alta cards and in mass quantities. They are making a pretty penny off them too!

http://stores.ebay.com/grouchyoldmanbaseballcards?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Oddly enough, they also have all kinds of other "custom" cards that look somewhat "legit" made by Miller Press, Monarch Corona Printing, Superior Card Co., etc.

These MAY have actually been printed to be distributed in cigar packages, but the whole thing just seems fishy.

In the end though, it's worth what someone will pay and with the rise in ACEO and other custom cards, there IS a market for them.

Hmmmm... The original background website I listed in the OP has info on those exact same branded cards...I am now more concerned and suspect of my cigar shop buddy who told me he remember these happening back in the day. Time to play detective...

Thanks,
Jeff

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
110% incorrect......if this were true , beckett would have almost no oddball issues , promos , stadium giveaways , etc listed..

Sorry typing on my phone at work and didn't elaborate...I know that's not the only requirement for being cataloged, but it's one that always helps. I am aware that many other factors play a role as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Sorry typing on my phone at work and didn't elaborate...I know that's not the only requirement for being cataloged, but it's one that always helps. I am aware that many other factors play a role as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

aww man...i just noticed in your post above that when someone quotes me the censors bleep my user name.....

that's just wrong .....

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Well after all of the comments I wanted to go back and be sure nothing was fishy with the website I used to verify it before buying it. Portasite.com has extensive info on these Alta Loma cards, and was my source to verify before buying it up. Well I'm eating crow now for defending these....let's take a look at the domain info for portasite.com
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1417908843.949773.jpg

So it's based out of Houston, Texas. Okay alright, in what is no surprise the domain registrant is private but now let's look to see where my card was shipped from. Grouchy Old Man Cards ships from Dickinson, Texas. Okay so where the hell is Dickinson, Texas you may ask?! Well funny you should ask because it just so happens to be a suburb of HOUSTON!
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1417909313.535012.jpg

Coincidence? You be the judge. I think it's time to call up my cigar shop and ask him what he was smoking the day I asked him to verify these were real because I think I've been conned. Pretty sure they are being made and sold by Grouchy Old Man Cards and that he even went so far to create this portasite.com website to make them look real. Gotta give props to the guy for going the extra mile to justify the cards, but still very frustrating as hell as it all appears to be just as fishy as you guys thought. Ugh

Thanks,
Jeff

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Well after all of the comments I wanted to go back and be sure nothing was fishy with the website I used to verify it before buying it. Portasite.com has extensive info on these Alta Loma cards, and was my source to verify before buying it up. Well I'm eating crow now for defending these....let's take a look at the domain info for portasite.com
View attachment 43622

So it's based out of Houston, Texas. Okay alright, in what is no surprise the domain registrant is private but now let's look to see where my card was shipped from. Grouchy Old Man Cards ships from Dickinson, Texas. Okay so where the hell is Dickinson, Texas you may ask?! Well funny you should ask because it just so happens to be a suburb of HOUSTON!
View attachment 43623

Coincidence? You be the judge. I think it's time to call up my cigar shop and ask him what he was smoking the day I asked him to verify these were real because I think I've been conned. Pretty sure they are being made and sold by Grouchy Old Man Cards and that he even went so far to create this portasite.com website to make them look real. Gotta give props to the guy for going the extra mile to justify the cards, but still very frustrating as hell as it all appears to be just as fishy as you guys thought. Ugh

Thanks,
Jeff

That's solid POlice work, McNulty and Freeman would be proud.