Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeff Samardzjia/Michael Ynoa Traded to the White Sox For Semien, Bassitt, Phegley & Ravelo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jane Lee ‏@JaneMLB
A’s acquire RHP Chris Bassitt, C Josh Phegley and INFs Rangel Ravelo and Marcus Semien from White Sox for Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I have been on board with the other moves that the A's have done but this is puzzling to me. Help me JP you are my only hope.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
My take
Samardzjia would want a extension from the A's, and way more then the A's would go for him. So they decided to just trade him away, and get some re-tooling players and see if they can land starting pitching once John Lester signs with the Cubs. ;) Then all the other free agent pitchers will fell into place on teams that are waiting for the big money to be throw away.
[h=2][/h]

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Said the same thing in 2012 when they sold off their entire pitching rotation. They won the AL West that year.

Every preseason fans are scratching their heads and screaming "he's an idiot, what is he doing, we have no chance". Every year he refuses to make the obvious moves. Every year the A's are competitive with a lineup that makes no sense. Every year, half way through the year the same people calling him an idiot are chanting "in Beane we trust". Every year Beane puts together a team that is so much fun to watch. Every. Year.

Do I get these moves? Nope! Does he? Yup, and that's all that matters. He has a plan and because of his plans the A's have been one of the most consistently successful teams since Beane has come along. He knows what he's doing. He is infuriatingly brilliant, the only obnoxious facet of this at the point are the fans pretending like they didn't see this coming. I don't get by now why people won't just let it play out and see where he goes with it.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Hard to believe Ynoa turns 17 years old next season! ;)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Said the same thing in 2012 when they sold off their entire pitching rotation. They won the AL West that year.

Every preseason fans are scratching their heads and screaming "he's an idiot, what is he doing, we have no chance". Every year he refuses to make the obvious moves. Every year the A's are competitive with a lineup that makes no sense. Every year, half way through the year the same people calling him an idiot are chanting "in Beane we trust". Every year Beane puts together a team that is so much fun to watch. Every. Year.

Do I get these moves? Nope! Does he? Yup, and that's all that matters. He has a plan and because of his plans the A's have been one of the most consistently successful teams since Beane has come along. He knows what he's doing. He is infuriatingly brilliant, the only obnoxious facet of this at the point are the fans pretending like they didn't see this coming. I don't get by now why people won't just let it play out and see where he goes with it.

I agree completely but I usually work through a trade and try to evaluate it. With his other moves, they may not be popular sentiment but they seem to always have reasoning behind them. To me, this has been the case with his moves this off season except this one. For the life of me, I just can not work it out. I am just not seeing any value from the Shark return. They had to be able to get better package from another team and failed to do so.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin

+1

The players BB picked up in this deal are not fillers by any means. From what I have read they are solid players. Not high profile prospects but players that could be MLB regulars. Keep in mind that league avg players have plenty of value. The loss of (1 year of Shark + an injured Moss) shouldn't make or break the team.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012

That and they're written off as having no chance of making the playoffs each year but somehow seem to make it in.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
+1

The players BB picked up in this deal are not fillers by any means. From what I have read they are solid players. Not high profile prospects but players that could be MLB regulars. Keep in mind that league avg players have plenty of value. The loss of (1 year of Shark + an injured Moss) shouldn't make or break the team.

Phegly - likely back up catcher
Seimen - did you watch him play last year? Pathetic
Bassett - could be okay.
Last guy throw in.

This was an AWFUL trade. Between this trade and Fister why are big pitchers getting traded for pennies?!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
+1

Exactly. Also once Moss was gone the butler signing finally made sense. He already knew he was cashing in on a 31 year old that two years prior was a non-factor that just had surgery and (assuming) because of that injury had a terrible second half - but garnered more because he had an All Star tag. That trade probably made the most sense of all of them to me.

That said, I'm going to miss Moss, I loved that guy.

The question is now, do kazmir and doolittle join the exodus? I thought kazmir would have been the first to go because of his awesome turn around year.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Phegly - likely back up catcher
Seimen - did you watch him play last year? Pathetic
Bassett - could be okay.
Last guy throw in.

This was an AWFUL trade. Between this trade and Fister why are big pitchers getting traded for pennies?!

Trust me when I say, Rangel Ravelo was no throw-in.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Wasn't Inoa, at the time, had biggest signing bonus for latin american player? After TJ surgery he sure fallen off as one of "top prospect"

Members online

Latest posts