Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC now offering auctions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
What type of cards are you guys having selling success with? AU? GU? Parallels? RCs? Are most of your cards listed at $2 or less on COMC? I have a lot of RCs and parallels I've had for years that I wouldn't mind moving.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
COMC is great for selling inserts and parallels that would sell for just a few bucks. Stuff that is not worth listing on ebay because the shipping charge makes the card not worth it for someone to buy.

All the issues people are complaining about are the result of their well-discussed separation from Beckett. No doubt building their catalogue is taking a lot longer than they expected, but they are making efforts to right the ship. I'm not a seller but I believe they don't charge storage fees for cards with missing data. They've expanded their staff to handle demand and they offer promotions, free credit and free shipping several times through the year.

Check out their blog and YouTube channel and you'll see how well they communicate with their users and how they're working to restore the site to full function. Complaints of correction requests that go unanswered for months are the exception, not the norm. They do all the work of identifying, scanning, and posting your cards for you, but it's the seller's responsibility to verify the info and set the asking price. If someone lands a "steal" it's on the seller, not COMC.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
still have not bought or sold on comc , but i've browsed it quite a bit lately.....my last visit (just last week) i searched for roughly 15-16 different items from my wantlists (mostly 90's inserts and parallels).....literally EVERY ITEM was either unidentified or misidentified....most had a basic set name and then where the insert or parallel name should be was nothing more than this : [???] ......others had completely incorrect labels for the insert or parallel name.....to make matters worse , quite a few even had the wrong basic set name so it took forever to even locate the items at all....

i'd posted on the facebook page a a while back asking about reporting errors in the card ID's and was told to report it on site using the link that pops up when you mouse over a card and they would get it updated right away....i reported 3-4 items immediately....3 months later and the cards i reported are still listed as being from the wrong set and still have the [???] tag where the insert names should be....

furthermore , i still see quite a few people posting on various message boards about how they got another "comc steal" because the card was misidentified....(listed as a base/common version but has a much scarcer/pricier parallel/insert/variation pictured)....how can the site be trusted when there are still so many misidentified or unidentified cards ? i'd like to think i'm wrong , but TO ME , it tells me the site is either run or staffed by incompetent people who don't really know the product they are dealing with far too frequently....

sooo...based on my limited experience , there is NO WAY you can convince me the site is up to date OR ready to add more services....i'd love to try to do a little selling there , but i just can't justify it until they get a lot more ducks in a row....

Just responding to the bolded part. This is the fault of COMC and the seller. I had this happen to me once. I sent in a $20 Barry Sanders holo foil insert but when it was listed it was listed as the regular insert. I didn't catch it when I priced MY card. So it sold right away for $1. I contacted COMC about the error and they credited my account $20 even though it was partially not my fault for catching it.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Just responding to the bolded part. This is the fault of COMC and the seller. I had this happen to me once. I sent in a $20 Barry Sanders holo foil insert but when it was listed it was listed as the regular insert. I didn't catch it when I priced MY card. So it sold right away for $1. I contacted COMC about the error and they credited my account $20 even though it was partially not my fault for catching it.

question :

in such a situation , when comc incorrectly IDs the card and you (the seller) notice it , what do you do ? is there a way for the owner of the card to actually enter the correct information ? if not , do you simply price it based on what it really is and hope potential buyers will be able to see the difference or do you report the error to comc and then have to wait for them to correct it ? if the latter , how long does that usually take ?

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
question :

in such a situation , when comc incorrectly IDs the card and you (the seller) notice it , what do you do ? is there a way for the owner of the card to actually enter the correct information ? if not , do you simply price it based on what it really is and hope potential buyers will be able to see the difference or do you report the error to comc and then have to wait for them to correct it ? if the latter , how long does that usually take ?

When I've had it happen, I report it right away and it has taken anywhere from 1-3 days for them to correct it. It may be longer than that now, as it has been quite awhile since that happened. If you don't put a price on the item, it doesn't get listed as being for sale and just sits in your inventory. So, I just didn't price it (or pulled the price off if already priced) until it was fixed.

Swipe79

Nov 28, 2014
On new stuff, if they incorrectly list it (happened with some of the parallels from Topps Update) and you contact them it gets fixed pretty quickly...like same day. Most of the misidentified stuff has been on the site for a long time and they are working backwards to fix that stuff. I've actually caught a couple of mistakes in other ports. I buy the card and let COMC know about the mistake. They contact the original seller, refund my credit, fix the card, and move it back to the seller's account.

question :

WaxPax

One thing they did improve upon was, when they were finished with a few cards of a newly submitted batch, you had the ability to price those cards and make them available. It used to be, you had to wait for the entire batch to be completed before being able to price and sell. Now, I don't know if that was just preparation for black Friday selling, or a practice going forward, but I liked that improvement......

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
Another question I have about COMC. If I buy a card on there and decide to resell it (which I've never done to this point), does it cost any money? Does it cost money if the card doesn't sell after a certain period of time? How often can you change the price of a card?

Thanks.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's free to relist purchased cards. The only fee you'll be charged is the monthly storage fee of a penny per card listed for sale.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It's free to relist purchased cards. The only fee you'll be charged is the monthly storage fee of a penny per card listed for sale.

Correct, and I think the storage fee applies only if the asking price is more than 75 cents.

People gripe about the 25 cents-per-card fee that's added onto the card price, calling it a hidden shipping charge. It's actually part of the processing fee and is only charged when the card was added to the site. That's why a card can be flipped as many times as people want, but the 25 cent fee is only added to the very first transaction involving the original lister.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
People gripe about the 25 cents-per-card fee that's added onto the card price, calling it a hidden shipping charge. It's actually part of the processing fee and is only charged when the card was added to the site.

i could have sworn other comc regulars had explained it slightly differently....based on what i had been told , the person who submits the card is charged a .25 listing fee for each item (which i assume has to be paid up front before the items are posted) .....then when the items are ready to go live , the owner sets a price which then has an additional .25 added to it....if that is correct , then there really is both a .25 listing fee AND a .25 (hidden shipping) fee on every item.....

if i've been given incorrect information , please tell me....

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
i could have sworn other comc regulars had explained it slightly differently....based on what i had been told , the person who submits the card is charged a .25 listing fee for each item (which i assume has to be paid up front before the items are posted) .....then when the items are ready to go live , the owner sets a price which then has an additional .25 added to it....if that is correct , then there really is both a .25 listing fee AND a .25 (hidden shipping) fee on every item.....

if i've been given incorrect information , please tell me....

It depends on whether you are in simplified shipping mode or advanced reselling mode.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
Maybe they should concentrate on getting their listings correct first before venturing out into other things. My black friday order had an incorrect card sent and all they say was sorry it was a mislabeled card.

Hi, just so you know - if you contacted us about a card that was mis-identified, you would have also received instructions on how to return the card and get a refund, including reimbursement for the postage to mail the card back...thanks.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
Lots going on here, so let me jump in...if we have staff who do their best to identify the cards that are submitted, and for the most part they get it right. We process and deposit thousands of cards on a daily basis, and mistakes are going to happen - no one's perfect. However, it is the ultimate responsibility of the card owner to review their submissions, once they've been deposited into their portfolio, to ensure the accuracy of the descriptions. If there is a mistake, you report it immediately - you don't price it, you leave it alone until the description is correct.

Also, we do have some cards with the "Missing" or "???" tag still attached. A lot of these are either brand new and we haven't gotten the lists from the manufacturer, they're part of a subset we haven't had a chance to finish identifying yet, or it's just something unusual that we can't find any information on. We currently have over 3.1 million unique cards available on our website, and less that 120K with the "missing/???" tag...so less that 4% of the total cards...not exactly the reported "millions".

A lot of the incorrect descriptions are stemming from the COMC Challenges we were running earlier this year, and we're still working on getting those fixed - hopefully, by the end of the year.

if you have any questions or concerns, you can ping me here or at [email protected] - thanks!

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
It depends on whether you are in simplified shipping mode or advanced reselling mode.

going to address this to moe since i'm assuming his answers would be "official" .....(no offense intended to anyone else , but i can definitely say i've seen so much conflicting info posted by comc USERS on various message boards over the past few months that i'd just like to know the answer is coming directly from someone on staff)

not quite that familiar with that aspect of the site so that really doesn't tell me anything ....as such let me pose a hypothetical situation (with my questions along the way)...

1) i submit 100 cards......do i have to pay $25 out of pocket as soon as i send them in ? if yes , that's a $.25 submission fee...if no money changes hand yet , go to step 2.....

2) i get a notice that all 100 cards are ready for me to review and price.....(in this scenario i'll assume all are correctly identified though i know based on my searches for similar items that most of what i have available is NOT labeled correctly right now).....if payment was NOT due at the time of SUBMISSION , then is the $25 payment due NOW ? if yes , then it's essentially a $.25 processing fee....if nothing is due yet , go to step 3.....

3) i review everything and price every card at $1....if no payment has been required up to this point , is is due NOW before the cards get posted or does it come due AFTER they are posted ?

4) all items are posted ....i'm assuming that by now my submission/processing/listing fees have been collected so i've spent $25 and now have 100 cards listed....for BUYERS , will they see the prices as $1 each or $1.25 each ? if they appear as $1.25 , would that not be the second quarter taken in by comc on each item ? also , if i submitted 100 and only priced 80 , would my initial fees be based on the total submission (100 cards) , total processed (still 100) , or total actually priced and posted (80) ?

Last edited:

Swipe79

Nov 28, 2014
You mail the cards in to COMC. They then send confirmation your cards have arrived and give a specific due date for completion.

As the cards "go live" or become available for sale, you are charged the .25 cent processing fee. You then price them and list them for sale.

If you are in simplified mode, a card you price for $1.00 shows as $1.25. If you are in advanced re-seller mode (flipping) the card would show as $1.00.

The .25 added to each item isn't paid by the seller, but the person who purchases the card. The .25 goes towards costs associated with finding a single card in an inventory of almost 10,000,000 cards, packaging, and other associated costs. As someone who has purchased a lot of cards from COMC, the shipping cost is well worth it. In addition, I have had numerous packages shipped to me where the cost (with insurance, signature confirmation, postage, etc.) has ended up being more than I paid.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
more of exactly why i specifically asked for my questions to be answered by a comc staff member....my comments inserted into your post in BOLD RED :

You mail the cards in to COMC. They then send confirmation your cards have arrived and give a specific due date for completion.

As the cards "go live" or become available for sale, you are charged the .25 cent processing fee. You then price them and list them for sale.

seems to be another contradictory statement ....you say that as they go live you're charged and THEN you price and list them for sale......if you tell me it's has "go(ne) live" , that indicates to me it is already priced and listed for sale on the site......your answer offers no clarity for me...am i charged when i'm told they are ready to price , or when they actually DO go live (after i've priced AND listed them) ?

If you are in simplified mode, a card you price for $1.00 shows as $1.25. If you are in advanced re-seller mode (flipping) the card would show as $1.00.

more utter confusion
.....logic tells me buyers would be more likely to buy a card at a lower price.....so by that logic , why would ANY seller opt for a method that tacks on an extra quarter (that does not go to him) to the price of everything ? regardless of the REASON , this would make it clear that EVERY item listed in "simplified" mode would indeed mean an extra .25 to comc as i suggested earlier....i just don't see what benefit a SELLER has to choose this option....

The .25 added to each item isn't paid by the seller, but the person who purchases the card. The .25 goes towards costs associated with finding a single card in an inventory of almost 10,000,000 cards, packaging, and other associated costs. As someone who has purchased a lot of cards from COMC, the shipping cost is well worth it. In addition, I have had numerous packages shipped to me where the cost (with insurance, signature confirmation, postage, etc.) has ended up being more than I paid.

at no point did i say the seller pays the second .25 fee....i only noted that comc was actually getting TWO .25 fees per item as opposed to the one quarter that the other poster suggested....

the mere presence of two different formats gives rise to another question for me (again , directed to a staff member with facts , rather than users with opinions , please)...what percentage of items are listed in each way ? just how many are listed at the asking price of the seller and how many have the extra surcharge ?.....is there any way to distinguish which format is used for a given listing ? are there any actual benefits to a buyer to purchase an item from either format (ie , would cards purchased from a seller in advanced mode qualify for the $3 flat shipping charge or would fees be based on total number of items or package weight ? or if a multi-card purchase included some from advanced mode along with some from simplified mode , does the entire order qualify for the flat-rate shipping ?...honestly , the more USERS try to explain the fine print , the more convoluted it seems to get....

Swipe79

Nov 28, 2014
1 - Maybe "go live" is too confusing of a term to use or one that I use in a different manner than you would. A card being "live" means that it is available for you to price. Once they are ready to sell, you pay the fee for the card.

2 - A buyer with the intent to purchase and have the cards shipped to them would use the Simplified Mode. A buyer in Advanced mode is buying to keep the card on site and attempt to flip the card for profit. The advanced mode buyer would not be looking to pay the .25 per item shipping charge. The seller doesn't choose the mode that the cards are listed, it is something that each buyer decides and can turn on/off at will in their user profile.

All items are listed at a base price, the buyer only sees the .25 additional charge if they are in simplified mode. If you buy all of your cards in simplified mode, the $3.00 flat fee applies at shipping time. If you choose to buy in advanced mode and then decide to ship the cards off site, you will pay the .25 per card at that time.

I guess my almost 20,000 cards purchased/sold on the site doesn't qualify me to attempt to answer your questions - if you really are interested in finding out more about COMC, a phone call or direct e-mail to their customer service department would likely yield the results (COMC staff member with facts) much quicker than posting on an internet forum.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Good answers swipe

and I agree if you want direct COMC explanations please take it to a pm with Moe. He is very helpful and will be able to answer all of your questions.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
1 - Maybe "go live" is too confusing of a term to use or one that I use in a different manner than you would. A card being "live" means that it is available for you to price. Once they are ready to sell, you pay the fee for the card.

2 - A buyer with the intent to purchase and have the cards shipped to them would use the Simplified Mode. A buyer in Advanced mode is buying to keep the card on site and attempt to flip the card for profit. The advanced mode buyer would not be looking to pay the .25 per item shipping charge. The seller doesn't choose the mode that the cards are listed, it is something that each buyer decides and can turn on/off at will in their user profile.

All items are listed at a base price, the buyer only sees the .25 additional charge if they are in simplified mode. If you buy all of your cards in simplified mode, the $3.00 flat fee applies at shipping time. If you choose to buy in advanced mode and then decide to ship the cards off site, you will pay the .25 per card at that time.

I guess my almost 20,000 cards purchased/sold on the site doesn't qualify me to attempt to answer your questions - if you really are interested in finding out more about COMC, a phone call or direct e-mail to their customer service department would likely yield the results (COMC staff member with facts) much quicker than posting on an internet forum.

live can only mean one thing - LIVE...not READY TO BECOME LIVE...that's a big difference...

also , in your first reply to me , you state this "If you are in simplified mode, a card you price for $1.00 shows as $1.25. If you are in advanced re-seller mode (flipping) the card would show as $1.00. "

they way you have that worded would indicate to me the SELLER is setting the mode and determining the pricing.....

as for your closing comment ...over the past 6 months or so i've read tons of threads about comc...invariably a few guys who brag bout doing tons of business there come in and tell everyone how it works ....they are almost always followed up by someone else claiming to have just as much experience who contradicts them....i don't know you and as i said i'm not trying to offend anyone , but because of all the conflicting posts i've read , i was specifically asking for moe (or some other comc staffer) to give me DEFINITIVE answers rather than mere anecdotal ones......

as for the reply by collectorscorner ...i still disagree....and i specifically posted it HERE in THIS THREAD rather than via PM because moe had posted HERE.....you never know - if i'm actually allowed to ask my questions here and have the person i ask to post a reply , that answer may actually serve to help more than just me.....frankly , since this is a legit question , i feel it's quite smack in the face to be told i have to use PM's (which i really don't care so much for anyway)....

Members online