Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves Finalzing Justin Upton Trade...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
As an unbiased San Diego fan, I can objectively say the Padres should have the divisional crown wrapped up by the fourth of July!

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
The Braves need speed so that doesn't sound too bad. Upton is a free agent after 2015 and the Braves weren't going to be able to sign him which is why they moved him.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
They are not looking up at the Giants as of now. Giants have not replaced Sandoval or the pitchers they lost. Giants are #3 in the division at this point.

Everyone always discounts the Gents too soon.

Plus, you can't pencil in the Padres yet until we see if it all fits together well and if their Pitching holds up...

So, what are the Odds that Upton re-signs in San Diego? As a guy who follows him, I see him trying the market, good year or bad, unless SD offers Stanton-type numbers. Then going to DC...

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
I mentioned this to someone on the board but the Braves got another guy coming off TJ, another Tyler Pastornicky, another Chris Johnson, and another Jose Constanza. If Fried doesn't get back to what he was, they might not get a single everyday guy out of this deal. It is the anti-Teixeira trade - not that a trade like that is likely to happen again - but still maddening the Braves were on the short end of both deals.

I went from hopeful when it looked like Renfroe or at least Gettys would be part of the deal to pissed off in a span of 30 minutes. This team might not score 400 runs in any of the next five years with that offense and system.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I mentioned this to someone on the board but the Braves got another guy coming off TJ, another Tyler Pastornicky, another Chris Johnson, and another Jose Constanza. If Fried doesn't get back to what he was, they might not get a single everyday guy out of this deal. It is the anti-Teixeira trade - not that a trade like that is likely to happen again - but still maddening the Braves were on the short end of both deals.

Well, at least they didn't give up much to get Justin Upton.

Now if only they could find an Independent League team to take on BJ's contract...:cool:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Everyone always discounts the Gents too soon.

Plus, you can't pencil in the Padres yet until we see if it all fits together well and if their Pitching holds up...

So, what are the Odds that Upton re-signs in San Diego? As a guy who follows him, I see him trying the market, good year or bad, unless SD offers Stanton-type numbers. Then going to DC...

Thats not true. Who discounts the giants too soon? They lost startnig pitching, lost offense, lost defense and didn't replace any of it. They better hope Cain comes back well or they will be in trouble. Casey McGehee? Yeah terrible signing to replace Sandoval.

As of now Giants should be expected to finish third. Obviously it's not played on paper, but thats all we can do right now. And on paper, the Padres are much better than the Giants.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
All of I'm saying is that every year the Gents are not picked to make Post-season and do, at least every other year.

I don't think Panda is a big Loss, nor have they lost much pitching, and I'm a big Peavy fan, especially for IP. And IF Lincy and/or Cain return to form and IF they find a true closer, I'd pick them over the improved Padres 7 days a week. And I'm a big Upton fan and like the price they paid for Myers, who could be a perennial MVP candidate in the near future.

IF they keep the OF intact and get a true Ace, or somebody develops into that (Cashner?) then watch out, down the road. Just not sold on them this year...

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
All of I'm saying is that every year the Gents are not picked to make Post-season and do, at least every other year.

I don't think Panda is a big Loss, nor have they lost much pitching, and I'm a big Peavy fan, especially for IP. And IF Lincy and/or Cain return to form and IF they find a true closer, I'd pick them over the improved Padres 7 days a week. And I'm a big Upton fan and like the price they paid for Myers, who could be a perennial MVP candidate in the near future.

IF they keep the OF intact and get a true Ace, or somebody develops into that (Cashner?) then watch out, down the road. Just not sold on them this year...

I would've guessed the Giants were going to make the playoffs as a wild card team this year. Not sure who you are talking to that counts them out every year. I think they almost always will contend for a wild card. However, as of right now, the Padres are flat out better. Peavy is average. Lincy is DONE. Have you watched him at all? Cain needs to return to #2 starter form or the giants are in for a long year.

You really think that McGehee vs Panda isn't a big defense? McGehee is a glorified singles hitter. ZERO pop and average defense. Sandoval at least is an above average 3B with pop.

You don't think they have an Ace? Ross, Kennedy, and Cashner are bettter than the giants 1-3 anyway you slice it at this point.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008

I don't get where the giants lost pitching. The exact same staff minus vogelsong is back. So they're are essentially trading Cain for Vogelsong. Even with cains status he's an upgrade...vogelsong is a bulldog but his stuff has become inconsistent. The bullpen is exactly the same, not one departure. Losing Pablo hurts but McGehee is serviceable. They get a healthy pagan back and maybe belt avoids freak injuries and plays 145 games. Sabean is famous for a mid season trade that gives the giants the perfect piece to make a WS run. For as shiny as all of these names the padres are bringing in, they are just that shiny. You can't put a value on chemistry. That's how these giants that get written off as lucky win...with chemistry. Maybe the padres will be good, but it's foolish to assume they've ascended so much just because they're acquiring big name guys. The padres, like the giants don't have a park that attracts free agents so you have to draft well and develop or trade to bring guys in. If upton resigns and sticks around the padres may be be onto something. But if upton elects to go elsewhere after one year the padres are out a lot of prospects and stuck with kemp, his big contract and balky hips. Good luck.

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I don't get where the giants lost pitching. The exact same staff minus vogelsong is back. So they're are essentially trading Cain for Vogelsong. Even with cains status he's an upgrade...vogelsong is a bulldog but his stuff has become inconsistent. The bullpen is exactly the same, not one departure. Losing Pablo hurts but McGehee is serviceable. They get a healthy pagan back and maybe belt avoids freak injuries and plays 145 games. Sabean is famous for a mid season trade that gives the giants the perfect piece to make a WS run. For as shiny as all of these names the padres are bringing in, they are just that shiny. You can't put a value on chemistry. That's how these giants that get written off as lucky win...with chemistry. Maybe the padres will be good, but it's foolish to assume they've ascended so much just because they're acquiring big name guys. The padres, like the giants don't have a park that attracts free agents so you have to draft well and develop or trade to bring guys in. If upton resigns and sticks around the padres may be be onto something. But if upton elects to go elsewhere after one year the padres are out a lot of prospects and stuck with kemp, his big contract and balky hips. Good luck.

You think Peavy will be as good as he was for the Giants the stretch run? Yeah....... Good luck

And to think McGehee is serviceable is ridiculous. Dude can't hit for any power. Good luck with a singles hitter who will likely bat 250 next year. He had a high BABIP and had a pretty lucky year last year and the Marlins were smart to cash in.

The Padres have a very very good rotation and did last year as well. They didn't sacrifice anything this OF and upgraded drastically on Offense. It's foolish to think that they shouldn't be favored ahead of the Giants right now ON PAPER.

Obviously the game is played on the field but ON PAPER the Padres have a better team, it's pretty hard to debate that.

Padres out prospects? You must not have seen what they gave up. They robbed the Braves. They kept all their top prospects and gave a few mid end guys and a starter who is coming off TJ. The Padres won the entire offseason.

I'll take the Padres ON PAPER over the giants every single day, and you are foolish to think otherwise.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Sounds like me and [MENTION=7946]maxe0213[/MENTION] have a PayPal bet coming up?

Better overall record, SF or SD? For $20 PayPal...

Members online