Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rare Steve Garvey items out there in collections? Show them off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Sounds like you may have talked to a sourpuss. According to Wiki, Garvey was the first Padre to have his number retired, in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Padres_retired_numbers

This article seems to confirm this as well:

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-04-17/sports/sp-1981_1_steve-garvey

There was a Steve Garvey night with a souvenir that was given out that night, I believe. I'd have to dig up the piece to confirm it was the same date.

The Dodgers did NOT retire his number though.
You are right and that is verified on San Diego's website as well. Maybe I called the Dodgers? I remember that phone call and quote well, and we left him out of the set because of it, but perhaps I simply assumed his number just wouldn't have been retired by the Padres because of his short stint there.

Woudnt be the only mistake I made there!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I assume the Padres retired it because of the impact he had with their first championship year (84) and because he had a few AS years left in the tank before he retired, although he did have a relatively brief stay with the team at only 5 years. Winfield and Gwynn and ultimately Hoffman make sense for sure, but Randy Jones was scratching the bottom. The guy had 2 good years, although one was a Cy Young year. The fact that they had not really had much in the way of great players over the long term probably helped his case as well. Ozzie Smith is one you might think of too, but he was gone before he really started to shine. Man, it really shows you how bad the franchise has been historically and/or how hard it is to get a number retired if you are not the Yankees!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was really excited for Santiago in his rookie year when he had that hitting streak going. He had a brief career in SD too though. I am not even that big a fan of the retiring of jersey numbers anyway. If I had the say, Gwynn would be the only one to have his number retired in SD. He is "Padres" when I think of the team.

I just checked the team records and Jones still holds a lot of the career pitching records and Eric Show still has the most wins career in SD at 100. That is crazy (and a little pathetic at the same time)!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They just don't seem to hold on to anyone good for long enough, except Gwynn and Hoffman. Imagine Winfield and Smith as career Padres.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I just got around to scanning this. It is a short print, doesn't pop up often.

6408708_orig.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Those were tough to find and have not seen one listed in a while. Kinda like the Topps Ring of Honor Autograph. I couldn't even find a scan of one online.

stevegarveyfan

Jan 4, 2015
Oklahoma
I just got these back from Beckett. I believe the MSA lids and Doug Allred cards are the first to be graded by any of the Big Three. Really thrilled to finally have these slabbed.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1977 MSA Cup Lids Steve Garvey (1).jpg
    1977 MSA Cup Lids Steve Garvey (1).jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 1977 MSA Cup Lids Steve Garvey (1) (back).jpg
    1977 MSA Cup Lids Steve Garvey (1) (back).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 1983 KG Glossy Steve Garvey Dodgers BGS 8.jpg
    1983 KG Glossy Steve Garvey Dodgers BGS 8.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1983 KG Glossy Steve Garvey Dodgers BGS 8 (back).jpg
    1983 KG Glossy Steve Garvey Dodgers BGS 8 (back).jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 1987 Douglas Allred Garvey & Allred BGS 9.5.jpg
    1987 Douglas Allred Garvey & Allred BGS 9.5.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 121
  • 1987 Douglas Allred Garvey & Allred BGS 9.5 (back).jpg
    1987 Douglas Allred Garvey & Allred BGS 9.5 (back).jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 1987 Douglas Allred Steve Garvey BGS 9 (1).jpg
    1987 Douglas Allred Steve Garvey BGS 9 (1).jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 1987 Douglas Allred Steve Garvey BGS 9 (1) (back).jpg
    1987 Douglas Allred Steve Garvey BGS 9 (1) (back).jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 120

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Good stuff. Interesting, but it looks like the lip of that lid is pretty roughed up all the way around. I suppose wax soda lids have different standards than cardboard. I'll have to look at my lids to see if they exhibit the same type of appearance on the edges.

MB, you misunderstood. I am down to 1 of the 56 Bo Jackson cards (W-B/W #\5), but I am collecting type sets (all 8 front designs) of all other 99 players (including Garvey). I have 7 of the 8 different frontal variations of Garvey and am missing the White(gray)-B&W(portrait) variation of his. This set was crazy with 8 different front designs and 7 different back designs. I have 9 spares of his that I can trade with to get the one I am missing, or would purchase it at a reasonable price. Thanks, Mark

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
MSA Lids

I just got these back from Beckett. I believe the MSA lids and Doug Allred cards are the first to be graded by any of the Big Three. Really thrilled to finally have these slabbed.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Thanks so much for sharing these. I didn't know anyone graded/slabbed the MSA lids. I'm not really into grading, but I'd like to get my lid slabbed prior to me messing up another one...:eek:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thought I would revive an old thread to show a unique item I stumbled upon almost accidentally. This is an automotive brochure from 1987 featuring the Padres! Steve Garvey makes a backside appearance. Not sure how hard this might be to find in the car literature world (seems to be a buzzing market for that stuff), but certainly I have never seen it before in the baseball collectible world. A young Tony Gwynn also makes an appearance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Garvey Mitsubishi Brochure.jpg
    Garvey Mitsubishi Brochure.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 105

stevegarveyfan

Jan 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Thought I would revive an old thread to show a unique item I stumbled upon almost accidentally. This is an automotive brochure from 1987 featuring the Padres! Steve Garvey makes a backside appearance. Not sure how hard this might be to find in the car literature world (seems to be a buzzing market for that stuff), but certainly I have never seen it before in the baseball collectible world. A young Tony Gwynn also makes an appearance.

attachment.php

Pretty cool. Every so often, something new pops up. A bit like finding a lost treasure.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Here is my lone contribution. 1/1 Genuine Photograph of Me and Garvey in the Dodger's locker room/player tunnel. Super nice guy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• garvey.jpg
    garvey.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts