Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rare Steve Garvey items out there in collections? Show them off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I can't imagine that this will turn into a popular thread, or it may not even get any responses for that matter, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any tough Steve Garvey cards tucked away in their collections either as part of a set they are building/built, just because they liked the card, bought a collection and haven't gotten around to selling yet or maybe because you don't trade/sell anything you get. I know of a few on this site already, such as the (2) 1/1 Sport King patch cards and pinbreaker has a Garvey leather and lumber cut /5.

If you have one of these tough cards and don't mind scanning and sharing, I'd like to see what I don't have in my collection. Ideally, my target is anything numbered less than 25 copies or something non-numbered that seldom shows up like the Topps Ring of Honor autograph for example. I'd love to know the serial numbers too, where applicable. I have been tracking low numbered copy sales from ebay for years now and although I often didn't track who ended up with them (except a few known rivals), I can account for many of the cards I didn't win by serial number if the original seller disclosed it in the auction or answered my question before the card sold.

If you have any non-card items you think are unique, show those off as well. I probably have most of it, but you never know. Show off those Garvey items and make me jealous!!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Steve Garvey...the Padres' second best 1st baseman ever!

http://youtu.be/PMIJ3QRMQIw

That video kills me everytime I see it. Watching that ball fly over the fence (as well as watching the ground ball go through the wickets of Leon Durham) was like literally watching my World Series ring leave the park. I was in line to get one if the Cubs went to the series. The thought of it still ticks me off.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
My only Garveys..
2013 TOPPS MILLION DOLLAR CHASE AUTO #CA-SG (171/268)
GARVEYSTEVE_zps1b440011.jpg

2005 TOPPS PRISTINE VALUABLE PLAYER #VP-SG
GARVEYSTEVE1.jpg

Last edited:
They aren't "rare", but I have 9 of the 2005 Studio Portraits Steve Garvey cards that vary in serial number from 25 to 70. I am still looking for the White -Black&white variation of this Steve Garvey card (it has a gray border and a black & white portrait) and would trade with my spares or purchase it for a reasonable price. Plmk, thanks, Mark

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I was lucky to sit with Garvey for a couple of hours as he signed for Topps in 2002. Really pleasant guy. He had some postcards of himself with him, and he signed and gave one to me. The only player I sat with that did that, which was very nice.

Kinda strange story though: I had been the editor for 2001 Topps Tribute - Retired Jersey Edition, and while I was setting the checklist I had seen conflicting reports online that Garvey's number had/hadn't been retired by the Padres. I called the club to ask and was told by someone in media relations "Not under this regime!" I remember that line quite well. A few months later while sitting with Garvey, he asked about what I'd been working on. I mentioned the retired number set and he said "The Padres were nice enough to retire my number." I didn't have the heart/balls to tell him about that phone call to the Padres. Odd.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sounds like you may have talked to a sourpuss. According to Wiki, Garvey was the first Padre to have his number retired, in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Padres_retired_numbers

This article seems to confirm this as well:

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-04-17/sports/sp-1981_1_steve-garvey

There was a Steve Garvey night with a souvenir that was given out that night, I believe. I'd have to dig up the piece to confirm it was the same date.

The Dodgers did NOT retire his number though.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
So you are down to needing just 1 of the 56 Garvey variations? Impressive! That is probably the one numbers to 5, 10 or 15 (Can't remember now which is the lowest).

They aren't "rare", but I have 9 of the 2005 Studio Portraits Steve Garvey cards that vary in serial number from 25 to 70. I am still looking for the White -Black&white variation of this Steve Garvey card (it has a gray border and a black & white portrait) and would trade with my spares or purchase it for a reasonable price. Plmk, thanks, Mark

Members online

Latest posts