Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My new PC pickup - CRAZY logo patches and a possible jersey auction match!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I just received what might become one of my favorite patch cards for my PC yesterday and thought I would share it with it's own thread :) Scans are below, but I wanted to take a moment to post about where I think the jersey used in the card came from. Most know me as a Felix Hernandez collector and some also as a Veteran/HOF patch collector. Panini over the last couple of years has been knocking it out of the park with the old timer wool patch and logo patch cards.

Earlier in the year I purchased a 2013 Panini Pastime Satchel Paige/Felix Hernandez/Yu Darvish jersey card for my PC. This is a neat paring of 3 excellent pitchers and the non logo isn't too bad with how they put the card design together in my opinion. These cards have a parallel /5 with prime pieces and I have been eager to see what the prime version of this card would look like. A couple of weeks ago one of the /5 cards was listed on eBay and the seller was nice enough to work something out with me. The jersey card looks like this:

2013 Panini Pastime Satchel Paige/Felix Hernandez/Yu Darvish 28/50:
feb3.jpg

And without further ado...my first big pickup for the year and potentially one of my favorite patch cards going forward...

2013 Panini Pastime Satchel Paige/Felix Hernandez/Yu Darvish logo patch/logo patch/hat hole 1/5 :)
paigefelixdarvish1.jpg
paigefelixdarvish2.jpg

Onto the logo patch match and what auction I suspect the jersey to be from. The Felix patch is from the middle of the compass from the Mariners sleeve logo. The Darvish piece I believe is a hat hole since the material is thicker than a jersey card and the normal jersey card listed above is a white jersey. For the Satchel, I cropped the Paige patch and rotated it 90 degrees like so:

be5e539c-6485-4ecd-9901-ff59d5a9441f.jpg

This looks to be the inside parts of both eyes and the nose and nostrils of the Braves logo patch head like this one:

paige1.jpg

I then cropped the same spot where I think my patch was from and sure enough it looks exact!

paige2.jpg

Then I searched the internet trying to find a Satchel Paige Atlanta Braves jersey. He went to the Braves as a pitcher and ended up coaching his first year in 1968. I found a Hunt Auction where a Satchel Paige 1968 Atlanta Braves road jersey sold in 2003 for $6,500 which can be seen here: Hunt Auctions

Finally I researched all of the Satchel Paige jersey cards issued around that time. Only Upper Deck and Donruss/Playoff/Leaf/Panini have Satchel Paige jersey and pant pieces that I was able to find. Upper Deck has the yellow/brown style as found with 2005 Sweet Spot Classic as well as 2006 UD Artifacts and 2009 Ultimate. All the rest are grey jersey swatches and black bordered red patches spread throughout multiple years of Donruss/Playoff/Leaf/Panini between the years of 2004 and 2014 where the brand has changed names over time.

I suspect the auction I showed above is where all of the jersey's stem from. Here is a great example of what leads me to believe that...2004 Leaf Certified Materials was one of the first jersey cards of Satchel Paige. Here is a scan of the card, and the back mentions "The enclosed piece of jersey was cut from an Authentic Jersey personally worn by Satchel Paige as a coach in an official Major League Baseball game. The authentic Game-Warn Jersey was obtained and is guaranteed by Donruss Playoff LP.".

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

Most of these earlier sets show Satchel Paige in his Braves jersey while pitching but other newer sets are worded from his Monarch team days as well as his Indians days. I still think all of those are from the one jersey but I could easily be wrong.

I will be reaching out to Panini next week and hope they have enough historic data and are willing to support my question to see when they acquired the jersey as well as if it is the same one they have used since 2004 :)

Thank you for looking and sorry for such a long read! As always, comments are always appreciated and thanks for making it this far!

Alex

Last edited:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I love seeing people's pickups, but the story and research behind it what really makes them special, great stuff

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
This is how you do research people. If you don't do research dont buy patch cards! Now does this make it full proof that it's 100% from that jersey or real? No, but this is as good as it gets. Very well done Alex as I do the same thing on my patch purchases and most of the time I can pinpoint what jersey it is or more than likely be from. Great job and I hope people read this and take note on how you do research. If your not sure just ask around at some of the patch collectors, myself included, will try and help out on identifying if a patch is legit or not. Awsome awsome card man!

Yes it's a little work but the life of a patch collector, lol.

Members online

Latest posts