Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deflated footballs...

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    The NFL has always gone with this policy from what I understand. Peyton Manning always brought his own balls to games in Indy from what I've read, this is just how the NFL does it the home team provides the NFL regulation balls.
    I was under the assumption that each team used their own balls while on offense. I've read articles about how much time and effort goes into preparing each and every ball to the liking of the QB.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards, 1/1's And Game Used Bats!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    But this is one strike too many for Bill; Payton had a spotless record leading up to that and whether or not he actually found out and didn't stop it, you can be sure that there would have been some very serious suspension coming his way as the HC regardless of knowledge/involvement.
    I didn't say anything about BB, not sure why you are assuming I'm taking a stance on the matter...
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much difference this makes in offensive performance. Is it a minor thing (like the pine tar on Brett's bat was) or is it a game-changer like steroids were? If it makes a huge difference, there should be a huge penalty. Any former players out there care to comment on how much easier it is to pass or catch a deflated football?

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onionring9 View Post
    I remember Payton being held responsible because when Payton found out, instead of shutting it down, he tried to cover the program up and secondly when ownership found out, they directed Payton to shut it down and he didn't. It wasn't just because he was the HC.

And you think Belichick had no idea about the deflation? WOuld knowing about it and not stopping it be pretty much "covering it up"?

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Gris View Post
    I was under the assumption that each team used their own balls while on offense. I've read articles about how much time and effort goes into preparing each and every ball to the liking of the QB.
    Each team is sent 30 balls the week before to condition within regulation.
    2 Hours before game, each team gives the refs 12 balls + some for replacement.
    Balls are inspected and given back to the respective team equipment handlers.
    Those balls were being deflated somewhere between that last step and going on the field.

Teams provide their own balls, because they are allowed to inflate/deflate within a certain range to accommodate the QB's preference.

Also - this is now being reported. Accurate? Who knows:https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d...otballs-012115

Fox is saying Baltimore showed concern and reported deflated balls, and the NFL was already prepping a check.

If this is true, I think they'll suffer in the form of lost draft picks, fines and a coaching suspension.

maxe0213
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstraps9 View Post
    I was an admirer of the Patriots success and The hoodie as a coach until the first round of cheating came out. The hoodie should be suspended for at least a season. Cheaters however aren't punished in the NFL. Only pot smokers and players who commit domestic violence (as of this year).
    You do realize they got punished for the first round of cheating? 500 k fine on Bill, 250 k fine on Pats, Lose of either 1st rounder or 2and3.

Thats pretty hefty punishment. Will be interesting to see what they say now.
    Always buying chrome slabs from 2012-2014 at up to 100% of ebay!

Always buying raw chrome from 2013-2014 at up to 90% of ebay!

All subject to players, condition, prices, sellers, among other variables.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I've been hearing something about the balls being checked at halftime, so if they were checked and found to be bad, were they refilled and then redeflated, or was nothing found at halftime....

This story just gets more and more confusing

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They changed them out with spares at halftime.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Pharis View Post
    They changed them out with spares at halftime.
    And the spares were deflated too? Or only the footballs from the first half?

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    And the spares were deflated too? Or only the footballs from the first half?
    Only those used in the first.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say we get the Colts and Pats to replay the AFC Championship game on Sunday! There are two weeks and the championship game will be more entertaining than the Pro Bowl.

since you know the NFL won't do that, at least keep the Pats from drafting anyone in the next 2 years as a penalty so their team really gets stung for cheating.

I also feel there is a lot more cheating going on with the Patriots than what they have been caught doing. Thinking back to the graphic CBS displayed during the game, the Patriots have had a boatload of success on the field since Robert Kraft took over, more than I think any team would have in that amount of time. I can't help but think cheating that hasn't come to light under Kraft's ownership must be a big reason for that.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you think Belichick had no idea about the deflation? WOuld knowing about it and not stopping it be pretty much "covering it up"?
    Again, I did not say a single word about BB.

What the heck is with you guys and assuming by talking about topic A, I am talking about topic B.

See my response to homerun...
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

amosrusie
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smell a "Special Investigative Report" in the future...

Scott

Did your favorite player ever hit 5 home runs in a doubleheader?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Colbert 17 View Post
    I smell a "Special Investigative Report" in the future...

I hear there is a ESPN Sports Science segment about it (heard it on ESPN radio so I didn't get to see the visuals or remember a lot of the facts. IIRC, other than for gripping the ball (QB or RB), the slight underinflation doesn't make a significant difference (given the same passing release speed or length of throw) to allow a wide receiver to have an advantage or for a defender to intercept or knock the ball away since I believe the difference between the two types of ball configurations was just one inch.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only those used in the first.
    If only the balls used in the first half were deflated the Pats still put up 28 points in the second half, and the Pats D still held the Colts to just 7 points all game....doesn't really seem like it affected the outcome of the game that much at all did it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast