Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Deflated footballs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
What do you guys think of this controversy? The whole thing ses very strange to me, but id love to see what you guys have to say first...

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I believe the Patriots have been cheating the entire time The hoodie has been coach. There is no real punishment for it even when caught. I have said this about baseball and steroids as well but any team should be immediately disqualified from postseason play if caught cheating. The whole point of sports is Team A vs Team B on an even playing field, and I believe the Pats have not had that experience in 10+ years.

And in response to the "everyone does it" that will certainly come up. If everyone did it, more teams would get caught.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
From what I've read it seems cut and dry to me that they cheated. I've heard Rodgers say refs deflate balls and all that kind of stuff but at the end of the day this is the Patriots we can pretty confidently say that this was an intentional action on their part.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Just what the nfl needs just before the super bowl. cant wait for media day.

aaaaaaabw_zps8e344af1.png

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'd love to see Belichek suspended for the Big Game.

And his past history and mannerisms would play part of it...

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I think the team should be penalized with picks in rds 3-5 AND the HC should be suspended for the season, since he is overall responsible just as the saints had their HC suspended for the bounty program that he knew nothing of, but was still held responsible because is is the HC.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I think the team should be penalized with picks in rds 3-5 AND the HC should be suspended for the season, since he is overall responsible just as the saints had their HC suspended for the bounty program that he knew nothing of, but was still held responsible because is is the HC.

I remember Payton being held responsible because when Payton found out, instead of shutting it down, he tried to cover the program up and secondly when ownership found out, they directed Payton to shut it down and he didn't. It wasn't just because he was the HC.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
As a Colts fan, Indianapolis should be awarded all of the Patriots' draft picks and have it be mandated they they spend them on defensive players.

Maybe then, the Colts could actually stop someone and deflated balls wouldn't matter. :)

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
One thing I don't get, and to add another talking point...

Why does each team provide 12 balls and only use their own when they play, wouldn't the NFL providing balls, or just mixing them up in a big bag to use a simple fix, and something like this couldn't happen? Imagine if each team provided their own baseballs (corked?) or basketballs for a game. Doesn't make sense to me

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
One thing I don't get, and to add another talking point...

Why does each team provide 12 balls and only use their own when they play, wouldn't the NFL providing balls, or just mixing them up in a big bag to use a simple fix, and something like this couldn't happen? Imagine if each team provided their own baseballs (corked?) or basketballs for a game. Doesn't make sense to me

The NFL has always gone with this policy from what I understand. Peyton Manning always brought his own balls to games in Indy from what I've read, this is just how the NFL does it the home team provides the NFL regulation balls.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I remember Payton being held responsible because when Payton found out, instead of shutting it down, he tried to cover the program up and secondly when ownership found out, they directed Payton to shut it down and he didn't. It wasn't just because he was the HC.

But this is one strike too many for Bill; Payton had a spotless record leading up to that and whether or not he actually found out and didn't stop it, you can be sure that there would have been some very serious suspension coming his way as the HC regardless of knowledge/involvement.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
The NFL has always gone with this policy from what I understand. Peyton Manning always brought his own balls to games in Indy from what I've read, this is just how the NFL does it the home team provides the NFL regulation balls.

Yeah, but why? It doesn't make any sense

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, but why? It doesn't make any sense

I guess it's just one of those tradition things I'm not even sure. I mean the owners could certainly afford to chip in at the beginning of the season for the NFL to just buy footballs for the entire year.
I can assure you that after this stunt that will be re-visited.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I was an admirer of the Patriots success and The hoodie as a coach until the first round of cheating came out. The hoodie should be suspended for at least a season. Cheaters however aren't punished in the NFL. Only pot smokers and players who commit domestic violence (as of this year).

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH

I was under the assumption that each team used their own balls while on offense. I've read articles about how much time and effort goes into preparing each and every ball to the liking of the QB.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
But this is one strike too many for Bill; Payton had a spotless record leading up to that and whether or not he actually found out and didn't stop it, you can be sure that there would have been some very serious suspension coming his way as the HC regardless of knowledge/involvement.

I didn't say anything about BB, not sure why you are assuming I'm taking a stance on the matter...

Bob M

Dec 7, 2014
Surfside Beach SC
I wonder how much difference this makes in offensive performance. Is it a minor thing (like the pine tar on Brett's bat was) or is it a game-changer like steroids were? If it makes a huge difference, there should be a huge penalty. Any former players out there care to comment on how much easier it is to pass or catch a deflated football?

A_Pharis

And you think Belichick had no idea about the deflation? WOuld knowing about it and not stopping it be pretty much "covering it up"?

A_Pharis

I was under the assumption that each team used their own balls while on offense. I've read articles about how much time and effort goes into preparing each and every ball to the liking of the QB.

Each team is sent 30 balls the week before to condition within regulation.
2 Hours before game, each team gives the refs 12 balls + some for replacement.
Balls are inspected and given back to the respective team equipment handlers.
Those balls were being deflated somewhere between that last step and going on the field.

Teams provide their own balls, because they are allowed to inflate/deflate within a certain range to accommodate the QB's preference.

Also - this is now being reported. Accurate? Who knows:http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-indianapolis-colts-deflated-footballs-012115

Fox is saying Baltimore showed concern and reported deflated balls, and the NFL was already prepping a check.

If this is true, I think they'll suffer in the form of lost draft picks, fines and a coaching suspension.

Members online