User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Join me LIVE in going to Super Collector Status ... plus ... customs!

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    Bittersweet for me, too, as @1st4040 is one of my favorite people around. However, I am happy the cards are going to someone SO appreciative of what he has. If there was someone who would love my Gwynn cards as much as I do (or as much as @mouschi and the Cansecos), I'd consider selling!!
    Once again, great story telling. Waiting for the UPS truck brings me back to my 7-8 year-old self, waiting for my Sports Illustrated posters to come (6-8 weeks for processing and delivery). As soon as 6 weeks hit, I was at the living room window every day.
    Thanks for the kind words [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION] yes the collection will be missed but I have scans/memories that can never be taken from me! Me and my bro bonded over many card shows and have tons of stories to prove it!

I used to wait patiently too for the postman to bring me my oddball haul from Southpaw Cards back in the day before there was internet and he used to mail out lists yearly with all the new stuff. We met him by chance at a Boston National show(he is in Wisconsin if I remember correctly) and that mailing list was like crack to a super collector looking for regional stuff you couldn't get here on the East Coast.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION] thank you for the kind words. [MENTION=2239]1st4040[/MENTION] I think I mentioned this to you before, but you were the absolute first Canseco collector I talked to ever online, if I recall correctly. Not only am I stoked about having these cards, it is good to know that there is a very storied history behind it. It is great to have a large portion of a collection of you personally, which makes it extra special.

When coupled with my existing collection, I simply have not seen so many different unlicensed/regional/odd-ball Canseco cards in one place. Well, I'm sure [MENTION=7109]RAZOR-Z[/MENTION] may have half a billion of them, come to think of it! The odd stuff brings me back to my childhood wading through quarter boxes at local card shows ... though, not being able to afford everything I saw. I was able to sit down with them with my son this evening and tell him about how companies would put these cards in loaves of bread, cereal boxes, cookies, etc. and tell him why some had air brushed the logos out, while others didn't, etc. It sure was fun.

Mother's Cookies was a big thing for me. We (me and my dad) knew what box to get in the pallet for Nolan #2 of 4. Our pantry was always stocked with them. One time, my friend came over with a Canseco Mother's Cookies card I didn't have. He was parading it around like crazy. Then my dad came home with one of my friend's favorite player ... Will Clark! We did a trade and I got my Canseco card I wanted Now, I can say I have all of them BWAHAHAHAHA ... next up: WORLD DOMINATION!
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOU GOT A SCORE RULES JUMBO!

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    YOU GOT A SCORE RULES JUMBO!
    thats one card I know I had a few discussions about on here before finally landing it to complete my run for 1995! they are one of the hardest to find high numbered early cards out there(much like the way the Donruss Elites once were pre internet)

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, what are the stats for the haul? Like # of cards, % outstanding, etc. Just wondering because it looks amazing and a lot of fun to go through. Thanks for posting all the pictures... I can imagine how fun it has been going through it all.
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,627/2,891 - 90.9%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MansGame View Post
    Just curious, what are the stats for the haul? Like # of cards, % outstanding, etc. Just wondering because it looks amazing and a lot of fun to go through. Thanks for posting all the pictures... I can imagine how fun it has been going through it all.
    It has definitely lit a fire under me to start looking for more! It is cool to see that I have several runs that are only missing a 0-2 cards, whereas before, it was just... open. There is so much oddball stuff, I'm not sure how much I have that is considered a card in beckett. Heck, I have TONS of Star cards between Paul's stash, and what I already had ... oddly enough, Beckett only recognizes a few of the sets. I currently sit at 2,285 different cards.

Heck, here is my checklist if anyone has anything I don't have! https://www.mycollectionofcards.com.p...osecanseco.htm
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That list is so much tougher to go through then just printing out the full Beckett checklist by year.. but looking over it there are still lots of things I have still that your showing as needing that weren't in our deal. go through everything and we can put something together to fill in things you missed.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, that's an insane nice pickup! So @1st4040 are you passing on the torch, sharing extras?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to answer the question but not takeover Tanner's thread

I started selling off my collection last year and the intention is to move it all. but I will always be a collector at heart just on the sidelines. My brother is still a very active collector of another player and I can live on in the hobby through that and I still have contact with a few of the other big Canseco collectors too and the other members here I've chatted with for years.
    Last edited by 1st4040; 01-27-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's an amazing, instant collection! Certainly do not underestimate the 95 Score Rules! Jumbo. Took me quite a long time to track down a Bonds!
    Barry Bonds PC 5,000+ different and counting! Check out my Barry Bonds Collection on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/weight333

James52411
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on all the additions. In one day your Canseco collection went from good to great.

jerik20
     @KeyserSozeCard
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great stuff, as always. However, you need to be less excited about the 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirrors and more excited about the 1996 Select Certified Mirrors above it. Much rarer and much more valuable.

You headed to Tri-Star in a few weeks?
    Currently looking for the following:
    -90's Bagwell and Biggio rare inserts & parallels
    -Carlos Correa, George Springer
    -2015 Heritage HN Action RCs of Correa, Bryant, Lindor, Syndergaard, Gallo, Buxton, Russell, Rodon

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Great stuff, as always. However, you need to be less excited about the 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirrors and more excited about the 1996 Select Certified Mirrors above it. Much rarer and much more valuable.

You headed to Tri-Star in a few weeks?
    The 1996 Certified mirrors are really just because I love the look of them. The gold '97 would be GREAT to get my hands on but am not sure if/when it'll ever pop up again.
    [MENTION=2239]1st4040[/MENTION] - really, i missed a lot? That is good news that I can still get a bunch from you hopefully.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went on Becketts website submitted a few photo's, error corrections, omissions etc. for example they brought back the 1987 sportflics superstar discs but had Joe Carter as #1 when Jose is number 1 in the set. I have the disc don't know if you do. there is definately other stuff on your list that I'm positive I still have as well like starting lineups etc.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me. I don't think I have any sportflics discs other than the 7-11 stuff. For the starting lineups I'm only looking for the cards, so if you have those ... awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st4040 View Post
    I just went on Becketts website submitted a few photo's, error corrections, omissions etc. for example they brought back the 1987 sportflics superstar discs but had Joe Carter as #1 when Jose is number 1 in the set. I have the disc don't know if you do. there is definately other stuff on your list that I'm positive I still have as well like starting lineups etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12