Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you guys do with random oddball stuff that comes in collections.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I only deal in regular sized cards but get random stuff in collections from time to time. Well today I am doing some early spring cleaning which includes going through this pile o stuff. What do you guys do with this type of stuff that you don't want?

All printed except maybe the Millwood. Came with some letter from the Phillies organization saying it is signed.

Grbac looks like it could be signed in pen but all the other are printed.

Blurry picture but you get the idea. Some complete set of uncut sheets from some kind of magazine.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'd keep most of it. I really don't get rid of anything for the most part, especially baseball stuff. It might make OK trade material for fans of those players or teams, especially oddball stuff.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i prefer cards and really prefer standard size cards , but i also love the oddball stuff just because it's something a bit different so i generally just expand my collection even if it the items are of minimal "value" and even if it means having to come up with creative places/ways to store it .....

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
hard core super collectors want stuff like that.. they may not be big money makers per say but you can probably get something out of them and also help a player collector knockoff something odd or that they never knew existed. are those top pic team postcards or something to that affect?

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
hard core super collectors want stuff like that.. they may not be big money makers per say but you can probably get something out of them and also help a player collector knockoff something odd or that they never knew existed. are those top pic team postcards or something to that affect?

Not sure, I didn't look at them to closely. I will pull them out again at some point. I never figured out what to do with them so they got put back haha. I hate shipping stuff like that but I doubt I would find someone local that would want Phillies stuff.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Not sure, I didn't look at them to closely. I will pull them out again at some point. I never figured out what to do with them so they got put back haha. I hate shipping stuff like that but I doubt I would find someone local that would want Phillies stuff.

you may be surprised though what some might bring you to the right collector who's been searching high and low for it. I've shipped many oversized oddball items like that.. oversized toploader sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard in a thick padded envelope has always gotten it done for me at buyers added expense of course. maybe another option is to box everything odd you have up and offer one solid price to a guy like [MENTION=2659]tpeichel[/MENTION] on here as he deals with oddball stuff specifically.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The key on this stuff is to find the real unique/limited stuff. When everyone has more than they need (1980 Topps supers, 1987 Donruss Action All-Stars, 84 Fun food buttons, etc), then it is just junk taking up space. Some of the regional sets, SGAs, team issue can be tough to find not too long after issue and then player and team collectors go crazy over them later.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
When everyone has more than they need (1980 Topps supers, 1987 Donruss Action All-Stars, 84 Fun food buttons, etc), then it is just junk taking up space.

and then there are guys like me who never had access to these items when they were new and have still never bothered to pay to have so many "worthless" items shipped , meaning despite having over 2 million cards here , i have exactly ZERO of any of these 3 items - though i admit i LOVE stuff like that and would really like to pick them all up ....anyone ever wants to blow that "junk" out , feel free to send me offers....

(fwiw - despite the BV's and how most people value those kind of heavily produced oddball items , i actually hold the opposing view and think they are so widely disregarded by today's collectors that they are probably UNDERVALUED now)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I can see your point and in fact just went through something I believe may be a similar case. I had never really cared much about mid 80s Dodgers police sets because Garvey was gone by then. I went back a few weeks ago and figured out that through singles and sets from lots I had bought before, I was still missing a half dozen of them between 1984-1990. Most could be found for a few bucks each, but nobody seemed to have more than 2 different sets I needed and everyone wants $3-4 to ship small sets. I ended up biting the bullet and bought all of the remaining sets i didn't have already, as cheaply as I could find then with combined s/h in mind. The last set (87), only one set was listed and it was in the UK! How could only 1 full set of Dodger police cards be listed? Those seem to be everywhere when you don't need them. I think I paid close to $8 for it but rather than wait and see if another set would list at a lesser price and wait weeks or moths more, I just went ahead and completed the run.

Are you looking for certain players or full sets of that kind of thing? I realize that offering singles of players who aren't the likes of Ripken, Ryan and Rose in the 80s is often not worth the time and effort and helps explain why guys can't nail down certain cards w/o paying a premium and buying from multiple sellers.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Are you looking for certain players or full sets of that kind of thing? I realize that offering singles of players who aren't the likes of Ripken, Ryan and Rose in the 80s is often not worth the time and effort and helps explain why guys can't nail down certain cards w/o paying a premium and buying from multiple sellers.

though they are a fairly low priority want for now , i am ALWAYS interested in almost ANY old oddball complete sets and i also need singles for any and all my south carolina (the university) player collections (unlimited dupes welcomed on these) as well as my south carolina (the state) player collections....i see quite a few of the old singles from the late 70's to early 90's , but most dealers who break up a $5 BV set ask $1-3 each (and 1 ebay regular often asks 8-12 each) plus shipping for the singles ...to get my good old mookie wilson , don gordon , randy martz , gary hanc0ck , ed lynch , skeets thomas , dave hollins , etc , i can either buy the set or pay nearly the same thing for a single card....while i'll glady take singles and partial sets , i'd prefer to pick up multiple sets and keep 1-2 in tact plus break 1-2 for my PC singles , and then use the rest for my own resale inventory (ebay store , trading sites , flea market , etc)....in short though , if the price is right , i'll take almost anything...

Last edited:

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Every once in a while these types of sets gain value suddenly. It usually is driven by a particular Rookie card though. I just noticed that the 1987 Reds Kahn's sets that were stadium giveaways have really shot up recently. It is easily Larkin's toughest rookie to find, and I guess people realized that a PSA 8 is the highest graded one in existence. 2 sets just sold on EBAY in the last week for just over $100/each. These were never worth more than about $10 until recently.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
though they are a fairly low priority want for now , i am ALWAYS interested in almost ANY old oddball complete sets and i also need singles for any and all my south carolina (the university) player collections (unlimited dupes welcomed on these) as well as my south carolina (the state) player collections....i see quite a few of the old singles from the late 70's to early 90's , but most dealers who break up a $5 BV set ask $1-3 each (and 1 ebay regular often asks 8-12 each) plus shipping for the singles ...to get my good old mookie wilson , don gordon , randy martz , gary hanc0ck , ed lynch , skeets thomas , dave hollins , etc , i can either buy the set or pay nearly the same thing for a single card....while i'll glady take singles and partial sets , i'd prefer to pick up multiple sets and keep 1-2 in tact plus break 1-2 for my PC singles , and then use the rest for my own resale inventory (ebay store , trading sites , flea market , etc)....in short though , if the price is right , i'll take almost anything...

I did a search in my database for some of your guys and came up with these. I know I have other singles for these players, but getting them all in a database is a daunting task.

PLAYERYearDESCRIPTIONPRICE
MARTZ,RANDY1982All-Star Program Insert.75
WILSON,MOOKIE1982All-Star Program Insert.75
WILSON,MOOKIE1982Fleer Stamp #86.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1982Fleer Stamp Panel of 2 (Carl Yastrzemski #162/Mookie Wilson #86)2.00
MARTZ,RANDY1982Topps Team Leader Variation #456(thin stock/light back - Bill Bucker/Randy Martz)1.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1983All-Star Program Insert.75
WILSON,MOOKIE1983Donruss Action All-Star #32.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1983Fleer Stamp.50
MARTZ,RANDY1983Fleer Stamp.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1983Fleer Stamp Panel of 4 (Mookie Wilson/Jerry Reuss/Braves Logo/Angels Logo).50
MARTZ,RANDY1983Fleer Stamp Panel of 4 (Randy Martz/Al Williams/Rangers Logo/Blue Jays Logo).50
MARTZ,RANDY1983Fleer Sticker #129.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1983Fleer Sticker #233.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1983Fleer Sticker Panel (Mookie Wilson #233/Twins Logo).50
WILSON,MOOKIE1983Fleer Sticker Panel (Mookie Wilson #233/White Sox Logo).50
MARTZ,RANDY1983Fleer Sticker Panel (Randy Martz #129/Rick Cerone #43).50
WILSON,MOOKIE1983OPC Sticker #266.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1984All-Star Program Insert.50
LYNCH,ED1984All-Star Program Insert Pitching & Write-In Candidates (Lynch/Wynne).50
WILSON,MOOKIE1984Fleer Sticker #91.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1984Topps Test Sticker Strip(Leon Durham/Dennis Lamp/Dwight Evans/Bo Diaz/Mookie Wilson)2.00
WILSON,MOOKIE1985All-Star Program Insert.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1988APBA Game Card (no pic).75
LYNCH,ED1988APBA Game Card (no pic).75
WILSON,MOOKIE1988Panini Sticker #342 (Strawberry/Teufel/Mookie Wilson)1.00
WILSON,MOOKIE1989Score Traded #16T.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1990Donruss Best AL #28.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1990Panini Sticker #174.50
WILSON,MOOKIE1990Publication International Trivia Sticker.50
HOLLINS,DAVE1991Fleer Football/Baseball Error (Burt Grossman front/Dave Hollins #399 back)1.00
WILSON,MOOKIE1991JKA Vincentown Button(red/1 Inch).75
WILSON,MOOKIE1992Red Foley Cartoon History of Baseball Team Page (Darryl Strawberry/Hojo/Mookie/Cone/Gooden)2.00
HOLLINS,DAVE1993Baseball Card/Sports Card Magazine Insert #13('68 Topps Replica).75
HOLLINS,DAVE1993Dennys Hologram #18.50
HOLLINS,DAVE1993Upper Deck Diamond Gallery #18.50
HOLLINS,DAVE1994Chris Martin Pro Mags #1031.00
HOLLINS,DAVE1998Panini Sticker Book Page - Stickers Adhered (Dave Hollins/Todd Greene/Darin Erstad/Aaron Small/Ben Grieve/Scott Spiezio/Bill Taylor)4.00
AA-All Items

Members online

Latest posts