Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super Bowl discussion thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
If they were gunning for Lynch, they should have had Russell Wilson fake and bootleg to the opposite side. that would have been a great play.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Couple things...

It was a genius call. QUOTE]

It wasn't genius. It was idiotic. How can you not see that? Leaving any potential for an interception in that situation is pure idiocy. Give Lynch the ball 4x if you have to, and surely he gets in on one of the carries. I love it though. "Genius" in theory is not genius.

It's idiotic because you are viewing it from a results standpoint. It's genius from a play vs scheme presented standpoint. If you can't understand that, then you're not looking at the play from an organic play caller's point of view.

Was this a idiotic call too?
9211400-large.jpg

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
lisa,

Yeah he didn't exactly run a great route, but I guarantee you that Russell is not happy with the throw. He's even more unhappy with Kearse's effort in driving Browner off the LOS. Browner was the key. If they would have split their TE out to that side it would have been a walk-in 6.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think the timing was bad , the execution was bad, the result was bad. They had to give ML the ball at a least one more time before a pass play. With a TO you have to run it and try a pass play or a bootleg (run/pass option) after you give the chance to ML once. No one would question the play if ML had fumbled, but they didn't give him the chance.

Ryan

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
lisa,

Yeah he didn't exactly run a great route, but I guarantee you that Russell is not happy with the throw. He's even more unhappy with Kearse's effort in driving Browner off the LOS. Browner was the key. If they would have split their TE out to that side it would have been a walk-in 6.

agreed - i honestly think the best play there would have been a play action bootleg right for Wilson with everyone gearing for Lynch. Worst case is that he could throw it away.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I think the timing was bad , the execution was bad, the result was bad. They had to give ML the ball at a least one more time before a pass play. With a TO you have to run it and try a pass play or a bootleg (run/pass option) after you give the chance to ML once. No one would question the play if ML had fumbled, but they didn't give him the chance.

Ryan

It was perfect timing. NE was stuck in a goal line defense.

The clock stops with an incompletion, or a touchdown basically wins the game. If incomplete, they can run Lynch on 3rd down, then take a TO if he fails to get into the end zone. Leaving them with 4 seconds left for a 4th and goal that would mean they control their own outcome. NE would not get the ball back.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It was perfect timing. NE was stuck in a goal line defense.

The clock stops with an incompletion, or a touchdown basically wins the game. If incomplete, they can run Lynch on 3rd down, then take a TO if he fails to get into the end zone. Leaving them with 4 seconds left for a 4th and goal that would mean they control their own outcome. NE would not get the ball back.

I think it wasn't good timing because I think u have to , meaning on that play , give the ball to ML once before doing anything like that which could lead to a sack / interception. If ML gets stopped you have the time to run two pass plays still because you have that time out. i feel at the 1-2 yard line to win the Super Bowl and you have time on your side , you have to take the lesser of two evil tries first which is ML running. Just difference of opinion. I also was shocked NE kept the clock going , seemed strange , but they obviously came away ok. But has SEA scored, NE would have been questioned for letting 20-30 seconds off the clock for a FG try. Anyway , all hindsight , just think it wasn't the right time to throw a pass.

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
amazing how the world is giving Kearse a pass. Kearse jumble-caught the ball, got up and ran out of bounds to stop the clock rather than running into the end zone. I think other than the butler's INT, the second part of Kearse's play also cost the Seahawks the W.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
amazing how the world is giving Kearse a pass. Kearse jumble-caught the ball, got up and ran out of bounds to stop the clock rather than running into the end zone. I think other than the butler's INT, the second part of Kearse's play also cost the Seahawks the W.

He was as surprised as everyone else he caught it , and there was 3 Patriots there. He wasn't getting into the end zone...

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts