Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1976 Topps Card #95- an Essay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
1976 Topps Card #95- Brooks Robinson

The 1976 Topps Brooks Robinson is and has always been my favorite baseball card. I once owned a copy in the early 80's; a hand-me-down version from an old brother (not sure which one) that has long since disappeared. Did it end up in the trash-a victim of my mother? Perhaps a long forgotten corner of the attic above the garage? Most likely though-the greedy grips of the neighborhood bully and older kid that picked through my cards before things like "value" soiled the pure and innocent love and joy of a piece of Topps cardboard that we all enjoyed in simpler times.

I'm the youngest born of 8, from Queens, New York to a splintered line of Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankee fans. The Yankees side are all Irish; the Dodgers side a boiling hellbroth of Welsh and Mixed Irish. Not a single ancestor in this country before the turn of the last century. My father worked in medical billing and by the time of the late 70's, Elmhurst, Queens was too far gone and decayed for us and we all left the only neighborhood we knew (except my mother who was from Nassau) and moved to North Jersey. A few years there and my father received a job offer he wouldn't refuse. We would move to West Chester, PA and he would start his new job that he would hold till the day he retired, over 20 years later.

I look at my nieces and my nephews-all children of the 90's and 00's. Cable, Satellite TV, internet, ESPN. Somehow it's hard for these kids to imagine a time, the time when I was a young kid, that you had only local access to watch. Like every other boy in America I loved baseball. I loved playing it and watching it and watching it I did. This was 1982 and Mike Schmidt was king of the TV. This youngest son of Yankees and Dodgers fans became a Phillies fan and the only one (still to this day) of the entire family. Fair play to my father-He took me to The Vet many a time to see my beloved Phils. Those were the days....yellow seats up top. Green astroturf, sodas in wax covered brown cups, jumbo-trons, The Phanatic.....

I had a lot of older brothers and like boys in the 60's and 70's they collected baseball cards. They grew out of them and by the time I was 6 or 7 I had "inherited" them- Topps cards from all over the 70's all jumbled in one of those old cardboard boxes you used to get from the pick-your-own orchards. I went through them 10,000 times-sorting them by color, year, team, position. I read every back, learned the names of players I'd never see live and learned the real names of players I only saw as initials in the box score in the morning paper. Cardboard in the 70's was different. It was thick and sturdy. I could wrap 40 cards with a rubber band and carry them to school. We would flip for cards, trade them. I can only imagine what they looked like then as I shuffled, stacked and organized them untold amount of times.

Who was Brooks Robinson? That was my question- the guy who may or not be better at third base then Mike Schmidt-AKA the best player to ever play baseball to me. Brooks Robinson? He plays in the AL I never heard of the guy, never saw him play. I'm ten. Mike Schmidt is like God. My father is teasing me that Mike Schmidt is no Brooks....Well as it happened I had a Brooks Robinson card. A 1976 Topps Brooks Robinson. Cards from the 70's are the best. Distinct colors and designs, you can pick them out in a second. The 76 set was always my favorite-great color combos and a cartoon character with a funky disco outline. And here was that guy Brooks. Funny name; and kinda cool. I knew a Brooke, she lived down the street. This guy had a girls name but it was different-it was plural. And he played third, where Mike Schmidt plays, the most elite of all positions in the field. And he looks like a boss, he's shading his eyes from the sun, a player that was just too cool. I didn't know it then of course but Brooks Robinson wasn't even playing baseball anymore. He was already retired and most likely already in the HOF.

I loved that card. I wouldn't trade that card. I loved Brooks Robinson and soon the early 80's became the late 80's and I discovered girls and Led Zeppelin and those cards are long lost. The one thing I never lost was the love of baseball and through high school and college and then grad school and life I had always held onto my Phillies and baseball. I returned to the hobby in 2006 by accident-a wayward eBay search and was shocked and confounded to see where cards had come. I'm certain I will never leave card collecting ever again-I love my pre war stuff- modern Phils patches and various chrome and of course my Mike Schmidt Collection. Mike Schmidt, the best third baseman ever.

Cards used to be simple and pure. It was American. Topps cards. Cardboard pieces with pictures of heros with their accomplishments listed on the backs. Playground rules applied-two cards for a single card from an older year. We all had our favorite sets. I loved looking through that peach box of cards that had belonged to my brothers and were then mine. I learned the game of baseball by reading those 70's baseball cards. I can picture myself sorting them on my bunk bed. I had a happy childhood. I loved to play sports, I had many and great older siblings and a great neighborhood of families that created a community that collectively raised everyones children. The one thing that connects those memories are those cards. My brothers, my father, that great street I grew up on, The Vet, summers down the shore, trading and flipping cards with friends, playing ball in the street. I was never lucky to have a Mike Schmidt card back then but I have since been able to rectify that. I have clear and vibrant memories of holding that 1976 Brooks Robinson card in my hands and admiring it. It brings me back to simpler times and a happy childhood. Things are too easy these days.

It is still my favorite card of all time I do not have a copy in my collection. I think I'm going to keep it that way.

eBay sample:

1976Topps95BrooksRobinsonPSA9046.jpg

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Great story. I think a lot of us can relate to days prior to electronic gizmos and cable tv. Im glad you're not getting another copy for your collection because it's not going to be the one you had. Sure, you can buy one, there are plenty of them out there, but it's not the same when it's not the one you had.

Fordman

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Lancemountain,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share stories of your youth. By the way if your not a writer for a living you should be. The wording is very well thought out.

I grew up in MD so had similar experiences as you just an earlier time frame and the best 3rd baseman in baseball was Brooks. Of course the only one I heard them compare him to was Pie, but as Brooksie's career progressed the comparisons started to fade and even Pie said that Brooks was the best there is.

I love the '76 Topps card as well; of course I love all of Brooks' cards. My favorite card currently is the '75 Topps. Of course if asked on a different day it may be different; I keep changing. Now my opinion you should pick a '76 Brooks up. No, it won't be the same card, but it would bring back the same memories.

Who was Brooks Robinson you ask? He was a hero to us O's fans. "Brooks (Robinson) never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, people named their children after him." - Gordon Beard (My sons name is Brooks). I'm sure if you'd have saw him play you'd know there was no one like Brooks at the hot corner.

Schmidt was a great 3rd sacker, but I believe your dad had it correct "Mike Schmidt is no Brooks."

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Truly fantastic essay, Lancemountain. I wasn't alive when Brooks played but the stories I've heard, such as in the Ken Burns documentary Baseball, lead me to believe he was the best 3rd baseman of all time. I went to the final day of the 2014 National Sports Card Convention this past summer and after I made my way to the signing area I took this picture. I had goosebumps seeing a legend like Brooks in person.0802141139.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I collected Brooks for a while in my early days and always wanted that high number 67 Topps card. It was not until I was an adult that I finally got one, but he was definitely one of my favorite non-Dodgers for a while. I acquired most of his regular Topps cards when I was a kid and I think it was mainly because he wasn't a top tier expensive player like a Mantle, Musial, Clemente or Koufax. Love several of the action shots and his Topps run between 71-76 are all great except for the boring 72 (in my opinion). I also had a Brooks book from Scholastic that disappeared at some point in my childhood and I eventually want to replace. Third base is my home.

http://www.amazon.com/Third-base-home-Brooks-Robinson/dp/B0006CAB4C

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Thank you for the essay, I really enjoyed it and I think it really expresses why a lot of us have a passion for collecting little pieces of cardboard.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Lance - guess I missed this when it was posted. Great write up. Us kids of the 70's seem to remember those single-set Topps years with appreciation. I've got a special bond with the 1980 Topps Fred Lynn card much like your 76 Brooks. Just the way he looked on the card, professional and cool. It was a different, pre-screen time. And baseball was king for boys - so many backyard and neighborhood games. Nostalgia is a huge factor in baseball card collecting!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Great recollections. I had a similar childhood, except my dad was gone and I'm not Irish and I didn't have brothers to inherit cards from. But being in awe of Schmidt while having a natural affinity for and sort of preferring Brooks is spot-on. Even though I probably never say him play live, as he retired when I was about 6, there was something about his gentle card images and name with the great stats and reputation that I connected with. He actually has several really cool card pictures. When I discovered the actual card collecting hobby in the 70s-80s, I put together runs of 2 players, Nolan Ryan and Brooks Robinson. Never got a Brooks rookie, but I had a Ryan rookie. Those cards all got sold off in my teens, but I remember fondly continuously studying and resorting them in stiff plastic pages.

Two things pop into my mind. This thread I posted a couple years ago about his abbreviated batting helmet. And at the Houston Tristar show last month I met a guy who had a baseball cap signed by Brooks Robinson and Cheech Marin. It was from a golf club, I think, and Brooks and Cheech played together with a VP of Nabisco, who was the dealer's friend, in some kind of fundraising tournament. I thought it was an extremely odd pairing, but I was real close to buying it because who wouldn't want that. The dealer told me Brooks and his friend became friends after that, going fishing and golfing several times. I have to wonder what he would've done if he'd befriended Cheech. I was also wondering if Brooks knew who Cheech was, or if Cheech knew who Brooks was.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
After reading the post, I read the comments and came to mine and that is when I realized that I had forgotten the original thread (and my reply). I reread it today, still a great story and I definitely could substitute myself into the story as I had a very similar experience. The main difference is that I was on the West Coast, but much of it was similar. Wish I had inherited cards from older siblings though...that never happened for me.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
My father would have thrown out most anything that sat around in the house too long. Or if it bothered him for some reason. I came home from school in Jr. high one afternoon, my father was up in the bedroom that I shared with my young brother by two years. My father was throwing clothes out of the bedroom window. I turned around and took off over to a friends house until after 9pm. I got my ass handed to me for that and supposedly not putting the close away. While my brother just got away with nothing being said to him. As per usual. He could do no wrong ever. While I never did anything right. :(

Members online

Latest posts