User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you sell your Trout too soon?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, I hate being negative but this card is got nowhere to go but down in value. I can't really think of any examples where prices have stayed this way on anybody. Even Pujols stuff is a lot more affordable. You look at every single guy's stuff and you realize eventually, it has no chance of sustaining it's value. Not like this. Guy's get hurt, have decent but not superstar style stats after a few years, etc. I don't doubt Trout will have a great career but these kind of prices suggest a Ruthian career. One he has yet to have. That's why you never buy in on the hype. I'd like to think most of you understand this...
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    Guys, I hate being negative but this card is got nowhere to go but down in value. I can't really think of any examples where prices have stayed this way on anybody. Even Pujols stuff is a lot more affordable. You look at every single guy's stuff and you realize eventually, it has no chance of sustaining it's value. Not like this. Guy's get hurt, have decent but not superstar style stats after a few years, etc. I don't doubt Trout will have a great career but these kind of prices suggest a Ruthian career. One he has yet to have. That's why you never buy in on the hype. I'd like to think most of you understand this...
    You're right on. I like trout a lot but there's no way these cards can go up
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure people said that when this card hit $1000, then $2000, then $5000, then $10,000. How much could a presumably PED-free modern-day Mickey Mantle's rarest RC be worth in another 2 or 3 years if he just maintains? Couldn't possibly stay static, could it?
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    I'm sure people said that when this card hit $1000, then $2000, then $5000, then $10,000. How much could a presumably PED-free modern-day Mickey Mantle's rarest RC be worth in another 2 or 3 years if he just maintains? Couldn't possibly stay static, could it?
    Yes , in the short term I can see it maintaining a high level , an off year or injury or "new" phenom changes all of that. And there is a good chance one / some / all of those happen. IMO. Lets check back in this thread in 3-5-10 years

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    Paying that kind of money for damn near just about any card, period, is borderline insane. Especially a modern one. Even The Famous Wagner card seems a bit over priced seeing as how it's more of a prestige thing rather than anyone even alive and owning one being a huge fan.

Point is, current sport stars are so easily forgotten and tossed aside value wise once the next big thing comes along, people realize they aren't the second coming of Christ, they get busted for PEDS, they turn out to have a normal or even a really decent career, etc.

Take Hunter Pence for example. Far be it from the truth for anyone to say the guy isn't a hell of a ball player. But once it became understood he'd hit around an average of 25 homers a year and not be the next Ruth, people stopped paying well over $300 for his sp auto'd rookies.

Or when Scott Kazmir was thought of as a beast and his best auto'd rookie was well over a bill and even though he turned out to have a decent career(independent league demotion aside) you can now nab one for the price of a meal at a burger joint.

And Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, David Wright, Cole Hamels, Chase Utley, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Etc.

The joke, in the end, will be on the guy who pays that kind of money for a card numbered to /25 that might not be of his favorite player, and that he might want to one day resell. In that case, he's a fool. And one completely parted from his money.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paying that kind of money for damn near just about any card, period, is borderline insane. Especially a modern one. Even The Famous Wagner card seems a bit over priced seeing as how it's more of a prestige thing rather than anyone even alive and owning one being a huge fan.

Point is, current sport stars are so easily forgotten and tossed aside value wise once the next big thing comes along, people realize they aren't the second coming of Christ, they get busted for PEDS, they turn out to have a normal or even a really decent career, etc.

Take Hunter Pence for example. Far be it from the truth for anyone to say the guy isn't a hell of a ball player. But once it became understood he'd hit around an average of 25 homers a year and not be the next Ruth, people stopped paying well over $300 for his sp auto'd rookies.

Or when Scott Kazmir was thought of as a beast and his best auto'd rookie was well over a bill and even though he turned out to have a decent career(independent league demotion aside) you can now nab one for the price of a meal at a burger joint.

And Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, David Wright, Cole Hamels, Chase Utley, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Etc.

The joke, in the end, will be on the guy who pays that kind of money for a card numbered to /25 that might not be of his favorite player, and that he might want to one day resell. In that case, he's a fool. And one completely parted from his money.
    Kris Bryant has played 1/2 a year at AAA and his red auto /5 sold for, what, $14.5k? He's done absolutely nothing yet at the MLB level and people are willing to drop serious cash on him. I agree it's borderline insane, but if you have oodles of cash on hand, it's just fun-and-games, I'm sure, to the buyer. At least Trout has proven he's an MVP at the top level. Bryant hasn't proven a damn thing......yet.
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1971 View Post
    Kris Bryant has played 1/2 a year at AAA and his red auto /5 sold for, what, $14.5k? He's done absolutely nothing yet at the MLB level and people are willing to drop serious cash on him. I agree it's borderline insane, but if you have oodles of cash on hand, it's just fun-and-games, I'm sure, to the buyer. At least Trout has proven he's an MVP at the top level. Bryant hasn't proven a damn thing......yet.
    Yes I'm hoping its people who have so much $ they won't get hurt if they need to sell it down the line for $5k or $5. It's a whole different level of playing field

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he'll immediately grade it and resell it. I totally agree with [MENTION=4674]bmp1971[/MENTION] on the Kris Bryant point, people are paying crazy prices for a guy they think will be amazing, at least we already know Trout can play at the highest level
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, there are like 60 Honus Wagners and they go from $200,000 to $5 mill. lol

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
    Hey, there are like 60 Honus Wagners and they go from $200,000 to $5 mill. lol
    It's a prestige thing...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1971 View Post
    True. I'm just surprised anyone would pay that much. Even with unlimited funds, it seems like a waste.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree.

Please tell me how a blue /150 can not only maintain $4k, but actually go up? That's four THOUSAND dollars. For a baseball card.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sold for $16,600.00

chump change!
    WTTF/WTB: Looking for Red Sox cards I don't have of players from modern Bowman products. Always open to trade!

boilboil1980
     ripkingsrippin
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't that long ago that we all thought Albert Pujols Rookie Autos would stay at his former prices as well. I am as much of a Trout fan as the next guy, but these prices are out of this world and will be damn tough to stay there.

Want to try out Ripkings? Want a COUPON CODE? Pm me!

Check out our upcoming breaks at https://ripkings.com/?page_id=120

Follow us on twitter - https://twitter.com/RIPKINGSRippin

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ballerskrip View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that we all thought Albert Pujols Rookie Autos would stay at his former prices as well. I am as much of a Trout fan as the next guy, but these prices are out of this world and will be damn tough to stay there.
    I stated it earlier , prices dip by decent % for an injury , an off year , or even consistency. W/O seasons at higher key numbers than he has put up , the market will even get bored with the same good seasons

Ryan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast