Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Franchise Impactful Deaths

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
With the Cubs and White Sox losing impactful players recently (Banks and Minoso), it got me wondering about starting this thread about who would be an impactful death for many of the franchises.

I know any death is sad, but I think each club might have someone whose death would be more felt not just among baseball fans or fans of that team, but would be big news in the non-sports world amongst casual fans.

To kick things off, here are some of my thoughts:

Red Sox - Carl Yastrzemski or Bobby Doerr
Dodgers - Sandy Koufax
Giants - Willie Mays
Marlins - can't think of one - don't think Charlie Hough would make much of a
media mention outside baseball unless it's because he was a knuckleballer
Diamondbacks - Randy Johnson perhaps
Rockies - Todd Helton
Rays - not sure
Yankees - Yogi Berra or Whitey Ford
Blue Jays - Dave Steib?
Indians - not sure
Mariners - Edgar Martinez? or Griffey Jr.
Royals - George Brett
Cardinals - Bob Gibson, Ozzie Smith or Red Schoendienst
Brewers - Robin Yount
Astros - Nolan Ryan
Rangers - Nolan Ryan
Braves - Hank Aaron
Reds - Johnny Bench or Barry Larkin
Angels - Rod Carew or Nolan Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Pretty good list . Some others that come to mind

Lou Brock STL
Mike Schmidt PHI

And Steib n Edgar I prob wouldn't say have that effect , even Randy in AZ , I'm not sure he's thought of as that ambassador as he played for 2-3 teams after

Ryan

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
definintely concur with Mike Schmidt PHI.

Arizona is a hard team to come up with they are a young franchise. I suppose if it's not Randy Johnson with what he did for the success of the franchise in his limited years there, it may likely be Luis Gonzalez since he is probably the best player with a long tenure in an AZD uniform (8 seasons out of AZ's 17 or so years of franchise history).

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Orioles - frank / brook Robinson. Eddie. Cal. Dempsey Powell

Sent from my SM-G900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
To kick things off, here are some of my thoughts:

Red Sox - Carl Yastrzemski or Bobby Doerr

Definitely agree with Yaz, but I fear that Doerr will pass with only light mention. While on a personal level it will be an extreme loss, the overall awareness of who Doerr is and what he did back in his day has been lost on the current generations I fear. One of the reasons I started collecting Doerr was the vast under appreciation of him compared to Ted Williams by Red Sox fans (not saying they are on the same level-but Doerr was absolutely a HOF and deserved to be in well before he was).
I hope I am wrong, but fear I am not.

Thanks,
Jeff

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
When I read the title I immediately thought of Yogi Berra for the Yankees as mentioned. A military veteran, HOF, 10 WS rings. Well known even for the casual fan.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
I think Rocky Colavito passing away would stop the presses in Cleveland. He was an icon in the late 50s and early 60s and has an entire "curse" built around his trade to the Tigers.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hmmm. The Pads lost Tony Gwynn and Jerry Coleman last year. Those were huge blows to the city and franchise. After that probably Trevor Hoffman, Randy Jones and Dave Winfield. Steve Garvey might be a stretch.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I think I would also add Richardson & Kubek to the Yankee list, due to their ties to the early 60's teams.
DANNY