Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A classic "who's right, who's wrong"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's plenty of sellers on eBay who misrepresent items and there's plenty of buyers who have no clue of what they are buying.

Anyone remember this one from the past?

About fifteen years ago, SAGE made this card 1425938428695.jpg

Yes, that's a Michael Jordan autograph and no, it's not the mj that everyone thinks.

So back in 2000, it was extremely common for eBay auctions to NOT have pictures.

You see where I'm going with this question which is.....

If a seller listed the above card as follows without a scan, who's at fault when auction ends at $200?

"2000 SAGE Michael Jordan autograph"

"Winner will get this Michael Jordan autograph card"

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Same thing happened all the time with the Bears Adrian Peterson selling at high prices even with the correct scan.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Earl Averill, Willie Davis, Ken Griffey, Frank Thomas, Eddie Collins and Perdo Martinez are a few that come to mind, as there are two (or more) people with those names (minus the Jr). One is typically MUCH more famous than the other.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
When Ryan Braun actually sold well, there was the Royals pitcher by the same name which created a handful of "photo-less" auctions

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
But if it says 2000 Sage specifically in the auction, (and I don't know if the real Jordan has a 2000 sage auto, and if he does that would make my point moot) the buyer needs to know what they are going after also right?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I hate the unwarranted competition I get on the real and first Adrian Peterson (Georgia Southern's NCAA multi-record holder - Chicago Bear - just lost his son a couple of weeks ago); I collect him because I was a freshman at Southern his final season and I collect NFL players from my Alma mater. Folks just don't realize what they're fighting for.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
But if it says 2000 Sage specifically in the auction, (and I don't know if the real Jordan has a 2000 sage auto, and if he does that would make my point moot) the buyer needs to know what they are going after also right?

i echo this opinion 100%.....

unless there are cards of two different players of the same name in a product that could lead to confusion , i really think a buyer should be informed enough to know what he is purchasing.....if he doesn't KNOW , then he could likely find out for sure if a certain player is in a givven set with a simple visit to beckett or a quick internet search.....

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Earl Averill, Willie Davis, Ken Griffey, Frank Thomas, Eddie Collins and Perdo Martinez are a few that come to mind, as there are two (or more) people with those names (minus the Jr). One is typically MUCH more famous than the other.

I have seen plenty of Pedro Martinez auctions for the "bad" Pedro that were clearly written as if they were cards of the good Pedro. Especially minor league issues; I saw one recently for a bad Pedro from the Padres' Wichita farm team sell for a ton of money because it was said to be rarer that Pedro's other minor league cards with Great Falls (the Dodgers team, which of course is the real Pedro). Once or twice, I have seen the "other" Luis Gonzalez (failed mid 2000's prospect) passed off as the "real" Luis, but that potentially could have just been ignorance on the seller's part (especially with the small dollar amounts involved).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Ramon Martinez & Luis Lopez are a couple others with 2 or mores guys with the same name, one of which at least per set has Dodger ties as well.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I feel the same way. If someone posts a "SP Legendary Cuts DiMaggio auto", you better believe I'll message the seller and ask if it's Joe or Dom.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I got duped on ebay bidding on a 1989 Topps Traded Ken Griffey card - didn't even occur to me to give the checklist a look and see that both father and son were in the set.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
There was a lesser known "Pujols" in one of the 2000-2001 minor league autograph sets. I think Jose Pujols. His first name was conveniently left off of many pictureless auctions during Albert's dominating decade.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009

I agree except in cases like one I remember well when a seller used no picture and was misleading by saying something like "I don't know how they got around Upper Deck to get this autograph" which implied even more it was the better MJ

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
When Joe Mauer first got hot, there was an auction selling a RC lot of him with a bowman chrome auto.

The scan showed like a 10 card lot (all rookies) neatly scattered on a table.

But front and center was an 02 bowman chrome auto which oddly was partially covered by another card exactly on Mauer's name.

Turned out the autograph rookie was JAKE Mauer.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
someone i know did very well selling autographed Alex Gordons back in the early 2000s. Of course it was the Orioles minor leaguer, but people would still buy them even with pictures.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts