Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Well...this is something I've never seen before...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
That spot is where one of the latching pieces is, but I've seen these prime cuts encased cads with some wear there that I believe came from the machining process.

And for the Jackie jumbo - here's a Dodger fan site that posted a pic of it from early 2010, when it was still a new product:
http://www.dodgersblueheaven.com/2010/01/more-sterling-jackie-robinsons.html

I've looked through all of the HOF jumbos I could find from 2009 numbered out of 10. Mantle, Munson, Ted Williams - all were plain jerseys:

http://www.sportscardforum.com/articles/2009/10/2009-topps-sterling-baseball-card-preview/ - Mantle pic here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thurman-Mun...142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb447796 - Munson

Can't get link to work for Ted atm but it's a plain relic

A_Pharis

I've looked through all of the HOF jumbos I could find from 2009 numbered out of 10. Mantle, Munson, Ted Williams - all were plain jerseys:

http://www.sportscardforum.com/articles/2009/10/2009-topps-sterling-baseball-card-preview/ - Mantle pic here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thurman-Munson-09-Topps-Sterling-JUMBO-Game-Worn-PATCH-Card-SP-3-10-NY-Yankees-/230775093142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb447796 - Munson

Can't get link to work for Ted atm but it's a plain relic

If the Jackie was faked, then it was faked pre-2010.

Edit: And that Mantle is a rendering. not an actual card.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
If the Jackie was faked, then it was faked pre-2010.

I am not claiming that this guy faked anything. He is currently selling fakes, but I doubt he participated in the faking of any of them quite honestly.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Can you believe it, I had a huge response on my opionon and I accidentally hit refresh as I'm on mobile app, lol. This is short version of what I had.

Jackie jumbo patch real, we have a Jackie robinson patch collector that may know something about it and maybe will see this and mrwhitesox30 is super knowledgeable about patches and he may have more insight in to these also.

The doerrs are real as I own the 5/5 timeless treasure version of the one he has will the number 4 stitching like his so they are related and came from same part of jersey. I have own a absolute like his with similar stitching.

The clemente is real and I would love to own if only he was willing to sell at market value or even a little above.

The gehrig dual is real as I own 2 dual gehrigs with the same material that behind the tag on his. Came from same area only he scored the sick piece.

I don't know the football stuff so I won't comment on those but the basketball stuff is legit as I remember those quad tags being super popular and they came out of breaks like that.

As for the Munsons, I am not sure about those but I do know paul oneill had 3 seperate tags like that but they were on 1/1s. If you want to be skeptical about any of his items it would be the munsons.

As for the ruth button hole and gehrig red stitching, I just don't know, they could be real even with the numbering or they could be not. I mean I have see patches on cards come out of boxes that had high numberings that should have been on 1/1s. With that said and because there is not enough information on those cards meaning other ones from the same set to compare them to I would just stay away entirely. I have not interest in those. All in all I think more are real with a handful being suspect.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I have followed those Munson jumbos since they came out in 2006
no way those /10 are real

I would say many of his other hof patches imo are real but he ain't doing himself or the real cards any favors by listing them together

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I believe the Gehrig is
imagejpeg

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Can you believe it, I had a huge response on my opionon and I accidentally hit refresh as I'm on mobile app, lol. This is short version of what I had.

Jackie jumbo patch real, we have a Jackie robinson patch collector that may know something about it and maybe will see this and mrwhitesox30 is super knowledgeable about patches and he may have more insight in to these also.

The doerrs are real as I own the 5/5 timeless treasure version of the one he has will the number 4 stitching like his so they are related and came from same part of jersey. I have own a absolute like his with similar stitching.

The clemente is real and I would love to own if only he was willing to sell at market value or even a little above.

The gehrig dual is real as I own 2 dual gehrigs with the same material that behind the tag on his. Came from same area only he scored the sick piece.

I don't know the football stuff so I won't comment on those but the basketball stuff is legit as I remember those quad tags being super popular and they came out of breaks like that.

As for the Munsons, I am not sure about those but I do know paul oneill had 3 seperate tags like that but they were on 1/1s. If you want to be skeptical about any of his items it would be the munsons.

As for the ruth button hole and gehrig red stitching, I just don't know, they could be real even with the numbering or they could be not. I mean I have see patches on cards come out of boxes that had high numberings that should have been on 1/1s. With that said and because there is not enough information on those cards meaning other ones from the same set to compare them to I would just stay away entirely. I have not interest in those. All in all I think more are real with a handful being suspect.

For the most part I agree with you, here was my predictions based on the fact that I found out this guy was a cosigner and not a collector:

Clemente Prime Cuts - likely genuine
Doerr Timeless Treasures + Doerr TOTT - likely genuine, they look like they're from the same jersey which would make sense both 2005
2008 Munson jumbos (3) - fake. to me this is clear as day I mean the third Munson nameplate is from the pants...it's not even a jersey nameplate I think there's a 1% these are legit because I've been able to find 2 others from that year that are plain jumbo jerseys
2014 Mantle ITG - genuine
Ott/Gehrig - genuine
2006 Triple Threads Mantles - 50/50 - I have seen these around A LONG time if they were faked it was awhile back - I'd maybe even say 70% genuine just because I'm not sure I can see someone taking apart a card with a Josh Gibson bat piece
Babe Ruth button hole - my best guess would be fake just by looking at it but I really can't tell
Robinson jumbo - fake. I have looked at the HOF jumbos from this year numbered /10 with guys of Robinsons caliber and have not found patches it's essentially all jumbo jerseys
Thorpe - genuine
Whitey Ford (3) - genuine
Gehrig lettering patch - fake. dozens of examples of Ruth's & Gehrig's from these years that are faked in a similar way. I believe that's the original jersey with the red stitching added on.

I'd be extremely surprised if the Jackie turned out to be authentic, I think it must have been faked very close to the release of this product. That one I'm going to continue digging on because it has me intrigued but with the Munson you have a pants nameplate mixed in there from what I can see, lol!

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I say the Jackie is not genuine imo

that Gehrig he has I believe to be real
compared to this looked good

image_zpsx1nbegbp.jpg

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I say the Jackie is not genuine imo

that Gehrig he has I believe to be real
compared to this looked good

image_zpsx1nbegbp.jpg

That's a 1/1 compared to a card #/80 though. The jersey piece of the Gehrig I believe to be real, but I think the red stitching was just added in addition. You can easily just add red stitching and it will look similar, there have been a few Gehrig cards with that stitching that were on eBay all 1/1s. I have seen 2 others, both in the 2003 Leaf Limited Emerald set or whatever you call it. They knew what they had with those cards I can't see them putting it into a card #/80 it would be too easy to just add a little red stitching to the existent jersey piece and have it go from a $150 to a 4 figure card. I'm actually very confident the Gehrig is fake.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
The 2009 Jackie Robinson is part of the "Sterling Jumbo Swatch Relics" subset, which had the following players:

Just as an FYI I talked to the seller, he had informed me that Topps confirmed there are 10 Jackie Robinson nameplates in this set so the seller is essentially saying that he called Topps and they confirmed that all 10 of those are nameplates (can provide screenshot proof of conversation), so firsthand I know that this conversation never happened and it's a lie because Topps does not data base those kind of things otherwise like someone else pointed out it would make our lives a whole lot better, lol.

Mariano Rivera, Ernie Banks, Jackie Robinson, Ichiro, Carl Yastrzemski, Mickey Mantle, Thurman Munson, Cal Ripken, Reggie Jackson, and Dice-K. Below are some worthpoint links (all that I can find of players in this set):

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2009-topps-sterling-jumbo-patch-119608731

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2009-topps-sterling-thurman-munson-170563174

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2009-topps-sterling-jumbo-swatch-52363186

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ernie-banks-2009-topps-sterling-jumbo-109591101

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2009-topps-sterling-reggie-jackson-500497877

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/daisuke-matsuzaka-2009-topps-sterling-149038773

All I did was search 2009 Topps Sterling Jumbo. Could one have slipped through the cracks? Of course. Couple that with the conversation I had with the seller where he said Topps confirmed all 10 are nameplates and well A) the seller is a liar and B) I still don't see any reason to believe this patch is authentic. My guess is that the first time it popped up online it was already faked, and it looks like a decent fake job the guy wasn't an idiot who put the entire logo into the window so I think that's what's turning some people onto it the typical fake you would see is a guy putting the entire logo in the window and we know those are fake. This one (if fake) was done much smarter and done very close to the time of release, so it's difficult to tell for sure.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The Gehrig is numbered to 80???? Lol that changes things a bit
i can't recall one numbered that high like that
even /25 is a stretch
someone did a splendid job on that one.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
The Gehrig is numbered to 80???? Lol that changes things a bit
i can't recall one numbered that high like that
even /25 is a stretch
someone did a splendid job on that one.

Yep; he cleverly puts 1/1 in the listing but when you examine the pics it's numbered 55/80 haha

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yes , I doubt Topps would confirm that , and that would have been done in 2009 if there was any chance they said that. So has he been the holder of the card since ?

I can't find another image other than the 5/10 , but I'm sure there has to be another comparison for the Jackie.

Ryan

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Yes , I doubt Topps would confirm that , and that would have been done in 2009 if there was any chance they said that. So has he been the holder of the card since ?

I can't find another image other than the 5/10 , but I'm sure there has to be another comparison for the Jackie.

Ryan

Same trouble I've been having, I can't find a single other jumbo from that year that's Jackie. I've been able to find multiple for Banks, Munson, one Mantle, but nothing on Jackie.
Everything else that I've found (except those 3 ridiculous Munson nameplates) has been plain jumbo jersey swatch from this year from this subset.

Members online

Latest posts