Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another "I just don't understand this" COMC seller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jun 30, 2010
All the people saying he is cheap fn kill me.

First off it's a garbage card and he's lucky someone even made an offer. If you don't like offers don't accept offers. I make the lowest possible offer on EVERY card I buy and it gets accepted 95% of the time. Most of the stuff people sell on Comc wouldn't move well anywhere else and they are just glad to clear it out. That 1.30 offer is prob .85c more than it's worth.

Then, according to your logic only you are the intelligent one here.

Jun 30, 2010
I'll also say this; if you even look at it from the perspective that at the end of the day you can respect a good hardball negotiator who will fight for every last penny you have to accept that you don't make friends that way. If you're going to offer people $.40 lower for their cards you have to accept that you'll get some hardball sellers in response to that. The seller was definitely being a d**k but again the buyer wasn't a whole lot more right in this case. Neither the seller nor the buyer in this case are making friends in this hobby I'll leave it at that

+1

Jun 30, 2010
No one was playing a hard-nosed buyer role. Not sure where that description even comes from??? That's what your not understanding. I don't know how many times I can state that nobody said he should have accepted the offer , and that nobody should be mad if he declined the offer. The seller didn't come back "hard" , he came back (this is assuming he did it in purpose) like a DB. You realize how many sellers have an auto accept , or accept offers on COMC even with low dollar items? Again it's dumb not to offer , but that is not the same as saying the seller has to accept the offer. I don't recall anyone in this thread saying the seller should have taken it and smiled , however there was information provided to why the potential buyer offered the price he did instead of paying full list price, which just like its the sellers right to decline an offer , it's the buyers right to offer if that option is provided to them.

We're really going round and round and I've summed up my side as clear as I could.

Ryan

Your point is made. Some of us just disagree with you.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
We can all understand it's .40 we're talking about. However from a buyer's perspective, in addition to Ryan's month long savings example, I will say this: There are THOUSANDS of cards I would not mind adding to my collection. These are clearly not cards I need for any set or anything just cards I'd be happy to add. I might want that $1.75 card but nothing is pushing me to purchase that card over one of the thousands of others. If I suddenly realized I could get a very small discount that might be all the motivation I need to buy that card instead of a different one of my almost limitless choices. It may seem cheap, but it might just be how I decide to buy that card instead of the $1.50 one that I also wouldn't mind but also don't NEED. Seller should just say no thanks and move on, no reason to take offense

Jun 30, 2010
And I guess I'll allow that ;)

Ryan

We all are allowed our viewpoints. Most of us are on the same page as you. You don't need to hammer away at a difference. To summarize:

Seller has a best offer.........maybee should or shouldn't have or was a mistake
Buyer made offer on 1.75 card..........some people think it OK, some think it was a ****move
Seller makes counteroffer......Everyone thinks it is a ***move

We all have differences in the way that we conduct business as a buyer and seller. We have opposing views on cheap cards and have expressed said viewpoints. Those who side with the buyer think it is OK. Those who don't side with buyer think otherwise and think that it is not a good way to establish a repectful way to do business. The differing viewpoints are strong on both parts.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Nobody condones being that way to a buyer. However, there is a HUGE difference with being an inexpensive buyer who likes to buy dollar cards and a cheap hardball negotiator buyer who wants to hammer away at you on Dollar cards. I love buyers who buy dollar cards, hate hardball dollar card negotiators.

daffy.jpg

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Do those who are crying foul over making a lower offer on such an inexpensive card even familiar with COMC? Many of the sellers on the site have auto accept set at a set percentage. Those who opt into having their COMC account cross listed on Amazon frequently price their cards 20% higher, since sales through Amazon take a cut of the profit...they are often happy to give a discount to COMC purchases, since that is the price they had hoped to get in the first place. To address the OP's topic, it happens frequently on COMC. There are a couple bigger sellers who are well known for doing this. Of course these are the same people who have 1990 Donruss commons listed at $5. I make a mental note of guys who pull that crap, and I refuse to buy from them. Over my time on COMC, it has probably cost some of the bigger sellers a couple hundred dollars in sales from me - I simply move on to other cards that I'm interested in, or pay a few cents more for a copy from a different seller. I still come across many of those cards that the seller tried to hold hostage, in some cases now 4 or 5 years later. The seller would have saved more money taking my offer that was a few cents lower than the $.40 or .50 in storage fees they've paid since then.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
We all are allowed our viewpoints. Most of us are on the same page as you. You don't need to hammer away at a difference. To summarize:

Seller has a best offer.........maybee should or shouldn't have or was a mistake
Buyer made offer on 1.75 card..........some people think it OK, some think it was a ****move
Seller makes counteroffer......Everyone thinks it is a ***move

We all have differences in the way that we conduct business as a buyer and seller. We have opposing views on cheap cards and have expressed said viewpoints. Those who side with the buyer think it is OK. Those who don't side with buyer think otherwise and think that it is not a good way to establish a repectful way to do business. The differing viewpoints are strong on both parts.
According to what I can decipher from your posts...
Buyer offering 80% of asking price = dick move
Seller counter offering 400% of original asking price = ok

If you can't see the problem with that you never will (as a seller that does this for a living vs a hobby I assume)??

Jun 30, 2010
According to what I can decipher from your posts...
Buyer offering 80% of asking price = dick move
Seller counter offering 400% of original asking price = ok

If you can't see the problem with that you never will (as a seller that does this for a living vs a hobby I assume)??

That is an incorrect assessment of my personal opinion.

My personal opinion once again is this.

Disrespectful move on both buyer and seller's part.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Good Thing This Isn't Back In The Good Old Beckett Days.......................
OOPs.. I Said The "B" Word ;)

2a2bb5f728ab18f3a2b4c7a62ce8692d.png

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
"Disrespectful" move by me? Huh??

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
That is an incorrect assessment of my personal opinion.

My personal opinion once again is this.

Disrespectful move on both buyer and seller's part.

Wait...so what's the threshold price wise that a buyer should set as the floor for being able to make an offer? What percentage should that be?

Jun 30, 2010
"Disrespectful" move by me? Huh??

One last time then it is time to move on. It not as if you asked to purchase say, 10 or more cards and asked for a little discount. You decided to be cheap and try to pull pennies away from a seller. It was 1.75 not 17.50. When you don't want to allow a seller to sell a card for 1.75, in my opinion, you are being cheap and disrespectful and not the kind of buyer I want to deal with. In your case the seller was disrespectful as well. You see, both parties, you and the seller got your feelings hurt and the transaction became no win instead of a win/win. If you want to justify because the seller had a best offer feature or any other reason, then so be it. Some feel the same way as I and some don't. Either is OK. If the price doesn't meet your objective then move on, instead of being upset that the seller didn't meet your terms and got upset just the same way you got upset. He decided to brush you off by blowing you out of the water with his counter( not the way I would have done it) and you decided to blast the seller on this forum. And it all started over a cheap 1.75 card that you decided to see if you could get it cheaper instead of giving a seller that 1.75.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I didn't get upset because he didn't accept my offer. I get countered or rejected frequently on there, as does everyone else who makes a lot of offers on the site. Comes with the territory and is totally expected.

But what got me annoyed was the "duck you" gesture made by the seller. Very un professional and the number one way to drive customers away from your port.

There's a couple other sellers on there who have done the same thing to fcb members and they have been posted about on here.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I just posted a card on eBay this evening with a 35 BIN and got an offer for 15, I didn't even bother countering it but I didn't feel angry or anything by it. Its a piece of cardboard, its a hobby, it shouldn't be that serious

Members online

Latest posts