User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Clear tv" antennae

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Clear tv" antennae

Silly me forgot that you can't just plug a tv in and get basic over the air stations anymore.

Saw this antennae on tv a while ago and noticed rite aid pharmacy selling it (cost me $13).

For anyone here just wanting basic stations (no cable or satellite stations) without any monthly cost, this is for you.

It'll depend on your area but I getabout 60 stations.

Nice having tv for the store and not getting another monthly bill.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, where do you live that has 60 channels within 40 miles?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I bought an HD antenna at Target for like $20 and I get ~ 30 channels in the South Sacramento area. As with cable or satellite, I don't watch like 75% of those channels, but I get the major networks and that's fine by me.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

"We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – Willard Romney

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had cable in 7 years because I can find what I need over the air or online. Cable TV will be like what home phones are compared to cell phones in a decade from now.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards, 1/1's And Game Used Bats!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    Geez, where do you live that has 60 channels within 40 miles?
    Bronx is where my store is

Haven't gone through them all but I'm thinking a "channel" is counted as two if it's HD and SD (as in ABC HD & ABC SD)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Gris View Post
    I haven't had cable in 7 years because I can find what I need over the air or online. Cable TV will be like what home phones are compared to cell phones in a decade from now.
    A friend of mine is a big marketing hack for cable/satellite companies. He said the only way for these guys to survive is to offer people more a la cart options. Like, rather than packages like they are now, cable would need to sell channel by channel. So, the package would go, for $30 or whatever, you can get access to 20 channels of your choice (sans HBO) per month.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

"We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – Willard Romney

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been saying for years that Cable should be sold by Channel. Only a matter of time and Premium channels are gonna move to Streaming. Biggest problem is that the sports packages will be the most expensive by far...
    [MENTION=6581]BBCgalaxee[/MENTION]: I thought the "Clear TV" attennae did NOT get HD? You're saying it does?
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

JayBruceFan32
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Cincinnati, we can get about 100 HD channels with one of those. We can get Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Lexington and sometimes (depending on weather) a few stations out of West Virginia, Louisville and Indianapolis. A lot of the stations are network stations for their respective cities and lots of PBS stations. Each city seems to have one of the local news stations dedicated to weather or oldies TV.

Fordman
    Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    I've been saying for years that Cable should be sold by Channel. Only a matter of time and Premium channels are gonna move to Streaming. Biggest problem is that the sports packages will be the most expensive by far...
    [MENTION=6581]BBCgalaxee[/MENTION]: I thought the "Clear TV" attennae did NOT get HD? You're saying it does?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1428600249025.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	48779

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BBCgalaxee: I thought the "Clear TV" attennae did NOT get HD? You're saying it does?
    I got this one at Target - https://www.target.com/p/ge-slim-flat...FZSEfgodH4gAZg

I can't tell the difference between the HD I get from the antenna and the HD I got when I had cable.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the "Clear TV" attennae did NOT get HD? You're saying it does?
    As long as your tv is hd and the signal is hd, you could still use old rabbit ears and get local hd tv.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I pay over $200 a month to Comcast for internet/cable/phone which I think is crazy. And their customer service sucks. Thinking about switching to ATT but I hear their internet is slower than Comcast, and that their customer service stinks too.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by u2me57 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I pay over $200 a month to Comcast for internet/cable/phone which I think is crazy. And their customer service sucks. Thinking about switching to ATT but I hear their internet is slower than Comcast, and that their customer service stinks too.
    Honestly, from what I've heard all the big name Providers are turrible. I do know from my own experience that Verizon and Comcast BOTH SUUUUUCK...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Nice having tv for the store and not getting another monthly bill.
    you know you'll only get about 50 Mets and Yankees games, right?

can't beat free, tho, if you want something to break the silence of the store or watch what few free sports events exist on broadcast tv during evenings/weekends.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Haven't gone through them all but I'm thinking a "channel" is counted as two if it's HD and SD (as in ABC HD & ABC SD)
    well, you won't get ABC HD and ABC SD in the same signal (bandwidth-wasting). In your example, WABC will have a HD signal and then it's up to your converter box (older TV) to make it SD for viewing on your older TV or your HD-ready set will display the WABC HD signal.

I count channels like this. Say you have WABC HD as the main channel and they might have Live Well Network and GET TV and Antenna TV on their subchannels, so in this case I would count it as 4 channels.

You're pretty lucky to live in the NYC DMA - it seems every mom and pop has a TV station in the DMA so just about every channel slot in the spectrum has something, and many of those channels will have subchannels so you probably get most or all of the digital multicast networks available like LAFF, ME-TV, Antenna TV, GET TV, RTN, TUFF TV, pbj, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast