User Tag List

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 197

Thread: Neo-Nazi kills 16 year old because he made sexual advances on his brother

  1. #181
    Senior Member homerun28aa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,099
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    You read what i typed, right?

    Are you saying you dont believe that the ROI on my personal Investment account if at 143% is unrealistic?
    If you invested a little bit of money in a couple securities then it's definitely possible. I wouldn't expect a middle aged family man to have such an un-diversified and risky portfolio. If you keep a small personal stash that you invest in for ****s and gigs then maybe, you would have had better odds selling everything you had going to the casino and putting your life savings on black. I'm sorry, but a 143% ROI is like winning the lottery intelligence is not a factor when the market average is 7% and you're making 143% (unless you're a genius, then why are you not making billions of dollars at some investment bank).

  2. #182
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,807
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    If you invested a little bit of money in a couple securities then it's definitely possible. I wouldn't expect a middle aged family man to have such an un-diversified and risky portfolio. If you keep a small personal stash that you invest in for ****s and gigs then maybe, you would have had better odds selling everything you had going to the casino and putting your life savings on black. I'm sorry, but a 143% ROI is like winning the lottery intelligence is not a factor when the market average is 7% and you're making 143% (unless you're a genius, then why are you not making billions of dollars at some investment bank).

    So i'm trying to be clear, you dont believe that i could take some money that i've made selling and buying stock and turn a 143% ROI on the money i've actually invested. you dont see how some simpleton like me could do some research, take some money and start building it on his own?
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  3. #183
    Senior Member homerun28aa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,099
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    So i'm trying to be clear, you dont believe that i could take some money that i've made selling and buying stock and turn a 143% ROI on the money i've actually invested. you dont see how some simpleton like me could do some research, take some money and start building it on his own?
    I'm saying a couple things:
    1) If you truly have a small stash that you invest in risky assets and that's all you're talking about here, then it's possible. My interpretation initially was that on your entire investment portfolio you made 143%, to which I called BS. If you're talking about a small subset of your overall portfolio, then I guess it's possible. You initially said my ROI was 143% with no qualms, so you can understand where my confusion came from.
    2) An ROI of 143% has little to do with intelligence. The smartest investors in the world (hundreds of times smarter than you and I with math PHD's and all that) would not expect to make anywhere near the same continent as that in a given year. The market has spoken; over the course of history individuals can expect 7%. A really bright guy who spends a lot of time doing research, takes good advice from friends, etc. could expect to beat the market by a few percent but to beat it by that much is not that case.

    So yeah, technically you can create an account, invest $.01 in a penny stock and in a year that stock can be worth $1 per share and you'd have an insane ROI. I just didn't think we were talking in those specifics, I thought we were talking about overall portfolio. It has nothing to do with you being a simpelton

  4. #184
    Senior Member homerun28aa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,099
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=1810]phillyfan0417[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]hive17[/MENTION]

    I've been debating telling this story on this board just because I don't want 100 people telling me I told you so, but I thought I'd share just for the heck of it. Last night was a birthday of my co-workers so we got drinks after work in New York City. After most people went home, we decided to stay out and have a few more drinks (always a good idea). I had already spent about $100 at the bar and I absolutely did not want to continue to pay $15 per drink and we all agreed that we would just buy some beer and hangout since the rain stopped and the weather was really nice, kind of see where the Wednesday night would take us. When buying beer in the deli, we got into an argument about whether or not we would get hassled if we bought beer, put it in a brown paper bag, and kind of walked around with that brown paper bag. With my understanding, as long as you're not visibly wasted and the beer is covered up that's fine, but my co-workers were a bit more cautious than me. When we walked outside, two police officers were walking around - one of them was Caucasian the other was African American. As we approached them, the African American cop had stopped to write a parking ticket, so I asked the white police officer if it was legal to drink a beer in NYC with the brown paper bag over it and his response is kind of the punchline. He said "Well, I don't really know but you guys don't look like the kind of guys we would hassle. You guys aren't the kind of guys we're looking to give trouble to". I'm not even paraphrasing, that's what was said word for word. We were three white guys wearing button down shirts, slacks, and dress shoes so maybe he could have meant that we're well dressed and unlikely to cause trouble or it certainly could have been that we're white.

    Moral of the story for me: I see why this ticks some people off, but I still think this is something that's specific to a small subset of officers. The problem is that I wouldn't have a clue how to address this issue for the small % of bad cops, I think that would be very difficult to enforce. Nonetheless, I still feel that not complying with police officers is a no-no but like I said I understand where some people are coming from. My take now is kind of just that a small subset of people are still racist, they can be business owners, they can be cops, they can be executives, they can be homeless people and maybe we should be attacking racism in general and that will lead to less racism from police officers as a result - but I really don't know.

    Thought I'd share this story, it's a bit ironic...

  5. #185
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,807
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    I'm saying a couple things:
    1) If you truly have a small stash that you invest in risky assets and that's all you're talking about here, then it's possible. My interpretation initially was that on your entire investment portfolio you made 143%, to which I called BS. If you're talking about a small subset of your overall portfolio, then I guess it's possible. You initially said my ROI was 143% with no qualms, so you can understand where my confusion came from.
    2) An ROI of 143% has little to do with intelligence. The smartest investors in the world (hundreds of times smarter than you and I with math PHD's and all that) would not expect to make anywhere near the same continent as that in a given year. The market has spoken; over the course of history individuals can expect 7%. A really bright guy who spends a lot of time doing research, takes good advice from friends, etc. could expect to beat the market by a few percent but to beat it by that much is not that case.

    So yeah, technically you can create an account, invest $.01 in a penny stock and in a year that stock can be worth $1 per share and you'd have an insane ROI. I just didn't think we were talking in those specifics, I thought we were talking about overall portfolio. It has nothing to do with you being a simpelton

    So, Lets do this exercise. In every case I bought significantly more than I'm stating but not to put all my business out there, start with this...


    In april of 2013, i bought 100 shares of Facebook for 28.31- I sold that stock in july of 2014 for 66.34 (got inpatient and missed out on alot more)
    In feb of 2012, i bought Giant interactive for 4.93- I sold that stock after they announced they were going private for 11.23 in Febuary of 2014 (got out early but not as bad)
    I've owned SIRI since late 2010 and my average buy in is 1.40 and I still own that at 3.94
    I bought BAC for in october of 2011 for 7.32 and still own it at 15.78

    I buy and stay long. Its a strategy that has served me well but patience sometimes gets in my way.

    I used 100 shares as an example but in every case here i own/owned significantly more than that. I have good friends who are wise investors and like to share information.

    My ROI is down because a couple of my investments, TTNP (up 13.28) and GLUU (up 19.73%) have "dragged me down" in terms of their growth but those are my longs as well.

    Like everyone, I've had dogs but I'm thinking I've explained myself more than many would...


    Need more or are we good?
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  6. #186
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,807
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    @phillyfan0417 @hive17

    I've been debating telling this story on this board just because I don't want 100 people telling me I told you so, but I thought I'd share just for the heck of it. Last night was a birthday of my co-workers so we got drinks after work in New York City. After most people went home, we decided to stay out and have a few more drinks (always a good idea). I had already spent about $100 at the bar and I absolutely did not want to continue to pay $15 per drink and we all agreed that we would just buy some beer and hangout since the rain stopped and the weather was really nice, kind of see where the Wednesday night would take us. When buying beer in the deli, we got into an argument about whether or not we would get hassled if we bought beer, put it in a brown paper bag, and kind of walked around with that brown paper bag. With my understanding, as long as you're not visibly wasted and the beer is covered up that's fine, but my co-workers were a bit more cautious than me. When we walked outside, two police officers were walking around - one of them was Caucasian the other was African American. As we approached them, the African American cop had stopped to write a parking ticket, so I asked the white police officer if it was legal to drink a beer in NYC with the brown paper bag over it and his response is kind of the punchline. He said "Well, I don't really know but you guys don't look like the kind of guys we would hassle. You guys aren't the kind of guys we're looking to give trouble to". I'm not even paraphrasing, that's what was said word for word. We were three white guys wearing button down shirts, slacks, and dress shoes so maybe he could have meant that we're well dressed and unlikely to cause trouble or it certainly could have been that we're white.

    Moral of the story for me: I see why this ticks some people off, but I still think this is something that's specific to a small subset of officers. The problem is that I wouldn't have a clue how to address this issue for the small % of bad cops, I think that would be very difficult to enforce. Nonetheless, I still feel that not complying with police officers is a no-no but like I said I understand where some people are coming from. My take now is kind of just that a small subset of people are still racist, they can be business owners, they can be cops, they can be executives, they can be homeless people and maybe we should be attacking racism in general and that will lead to less racism from police officers as a result - but I really don't know.

    Thought I'd share this story, it's a bit ironic...
    Here's what i'm going to say. 99 percent of police officers are good, hard working people who care about the communities they work in. We all at some point in our lives run into one that isnt the greatest or is just having a bad day. My story with that kind of cop is the day an officer impounded my car because of a typo on my insurance card. He left me in the street at 11:30pm and it took my until 3am to get home. When i went to court the judge, his first question was "have you really been driving for 12 years with a single ticket of any kind?" when i answered yes, he turned to the officer and said to him "you should be ashamed of yourself for leaving this person in the street for something that was obviously an error by the insurance company"

    That police officer came and found me after court and apologized to me on his own and told me he knew he was wrong almost from the start. We shook hands and that was it.

    the problem with this conversation is that people jump on sides and dig their heels in. There is a problem with police departments but it isnt widespread across all of them. there needs to be honest conversation...
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  7. #187
    Senior Member hive17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    20,086
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    [MENTION=1810]phillyfan0417[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]hive17[/MENTION]

    I've been debating telling this story on this board just because I don't want 100 people telling me I told you so, but I thought I'd share just for the heck of it. Last night was a birthday of my co-workers so we got drinks after work in New York City. After most people went home, we decided to stay out and have a few more drinks (always a good idea). I had already spent about $100 at the bar and I absolutely did not want to continue to pay $15 per drink and we all agreed that we would just buy some beer and hangout since the rain stopped and the weather was really nice, kind of see where the Wednesday night would take us. When buying beer in the deli, we got into an argument about whether or not we would get hassled if we bought beer, put it in a brown paper bag, and kind of walked around with that brown paper bag. With my understanding, as long as you're not visibly wasted and the beer is covered up that's fine, but my co-workers were a bit more cautious than me. When we walked outside, two police officers were walking around - one of them was Caucasian the other was African American. As we approached them, the African American cop had stopped to write a parking ticket, so I asked the white police officer if it was legal to drink a beer in NYC with the brown paper bag over it and his response is kind of the punchline. He said "Well, I don't really know but you guys don't look like the kind of guys we would hassle. You guys aren't the kind of guys we're looking to give trouble to". I'm not even paraphrasing, that's what was said word for word. We were three white guys wearing button down shirts, slacks, and dress shoes so maybe he could have meant that we're well dressed and unlikely to cause trouble or it certainly could have been that we're white.

    Moral of the story for me: I see why this ticks some people off, but I still think this is something that's specific to a small subset of officers. The problem is that I wouldn't have a clue how to address this issue for the small % of bad cops, I think that would be very difficult to enforce. Nonetheless, I still feel that not complying with police officers is a no-no but like I said I understand where some people are coming from. My take now is kind of just that a small subset of people are still racist, they can be business owners, they can be cops, they can be executives, they can be homeless people and maybe we should be attacking racism in general and that will lead to less racism from police officers as a result - but I really don't know.

    Thought I'd share this story, it's a bit ironic...
    Hey, as some who works in counter-terrorism, I understand the fine art of profiling. And the NYPD are the leaders of profiling, both in a good way, and in a crooked way. That's what those cops were doing.

    I don't think the rash of cops killing unarmed black people has as much to do with profiling, as it does with cops making bad decisions. However just because there is fear and incompetence, that doesn't excuse it. It also doesn't mean that the minority that is feeling the overwhelming bulk of the harm should be expected to "trust" said same agency that there is nothing to worry about. The trend says that there IS something to worry about: the next time an unarmed civilian is killed by a cop, he or she will probably be black.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

    Trade album Personal Collection

  8. #188
    Senior Member Nate Colbert 17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,692
     amosrusie
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post

    My ROI is down because a couple of my investments, TTNP (up 13.28) and GLUU (up 19.73%) have "dragged me down" in terms of their growth but those are my longs as well.
    Most people would be happy to be dragged down that much.


    This guy's portfolio is way down.



    Confederated Slave Holdings
    Transatlantic Zeppelin
    Amalgamated Spats
    Scott



    Did your favorite player ever hit 5 home runs in a doubleheader?

  9. #189
    Senior Member homerun28aa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,099
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    So, Lets do this exercise. In every case I bought significantly more than I'm stating but not to put all my business out there, start with this...


    In april of 2013, i bought 100 shares of Facebook for 28.31- I sold that stock in july of 2014 for 66.34 (got inpatient and missed out on alot more)
    In feb of 2012, i bought Giant interactive for 4.93- I sold that stock after they announced they were going private for 11.23 in Febuary of 2014 (got out early but not as bad)
    I've owned SIRI since late 2010 and my average buy in is 1.40 and I still own that at 3.94
    I bought BAC for in october of 2011 for 7.32 and still own it at 15.78

    I buy and stay long. Its a strategy that has served me well but patience sometimes gets in my way.

    I used 100 shares as an example but in every case here i own/owned significantly more than that. I have good friends who are wise investors and like to share information.

    My ROI is down because a couple of my investments, TTNP (up 13.28) and GLUU (up 19.73%) have "dragged me down" in terms of their growth but those are my longs as well.

    Like everyone, I've had dogs but I'm thinking I've explained myself more than many would...


    Need more or are we good?
    Yeah I mean I could easily continue to probe you on this topic but I'm just not going to for both of our benefits. I don't feel comfortable asking you for personal information about your investment account that's no one's business but your own to be shared on a public discussion forum. Furthermore, I'm legally bound to not discuss anything related to one of the stocks you mentioned, so just to be safe I'd like to not really comment on this post lol.

    So in short, this smells INCREDIBLY fishy but we are good.

    Edit: Just want to clarify that this isn't something shady, but I was employed by Morgan Stanley in 2012 when they were hit with all the investigations for mishandling the facebook IPO.
    Last edited by homerun28aa; 04-23-2015 at 02:29 PM.

  10. #190
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,807
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    Yeah I mean I could easily continue to probe you on this topic but I'm just not going to for both of our benefits. I don't feel comfortable asking you for personal information about your investment account that's no one's business but your own to be shared on a public discussion forum. Furthermore, I'm legally bound to not discuss anything related to one of the stocks you mentioned, so just to be safe I'd like to not really comment on this post lol.

    So in short, this smells INCREDIBLY fishy but we are good.

    Edit: Just want to clarify that this isn't something shady, but I was employed by Morgan Stanley in 2012 when they were hit with all the investigations for mishandling the facebook IPO.
    Of course its fishy. Its interesting you leave it alone with your parting shot. Question in my mind is why is it so fishy? Just your belief i shouldn't be smart enough to pick more good stocks than bad?

    Its so odd that you can't just leave the subject without one more condescending shot.

    Im sorry i havent lived up to your low expectations...



    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  11. #191
    Senior Member homerun28aa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,099
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    Of course its fishy. Its interesting you leave it alone with your parting shot. Question in my mind is why is it so fishy? Just your belief i shouldn't be smart enough to pick more good stocks than bad?

    Its so odd that you can't just leave the subject without one more condescending shot.

    Im sorry i havent lived up to your low expectations...



    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Please find below my response from a couple posts ago...do you really just not read any of my posts?

    2) An ROI of 143% has little to do with intelligence. The smartest investors in the world (hundreds of times smarter than you and I with math PHD's and all that) would not expect to make anywhere near the same continent as that in a given year. The market has spoken; over the course of history individuals can expect 7%. A really bright guy who spends a lot of time doing research, takes good advice from friends, etc. could expect to beat the market by a few percent but to beat it by that much is not that case.

  12. #192
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,807
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    Please find below my response from a couple posts ago...do you really just not read any of my posts?
    I read your posts but it seems in this case your goal is to be insulting and condescending. Then hints of worse things thrown in. As you can see from the stocks i posted, those are well over 143% so there have been dogs as well. But by all means, continue talking down to me. Im sure you're a nice enough guy but this thread isnt your shining hour.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  13. #193
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,807
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Colbert 17 View Post
    Most people would be happy to be dragged down that much.


    This guy's portfolio is way down.



    Confederated Slave Holdings
    Transatlantic Zeppelin
    Amalgamated Spats

    To be fair, I talk about my successes and forget my failures. I find a short memory can be a good thing.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  14. #194
    Senior Member homerun28aa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,099
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    I read your posts but it seems in this case your goal is to be insulting and condescending. Then hints of worse things thrown in. As you can see from the stocks i posted, those are well over 143% so there have been dogs as well. But by all means, continue talking down to me. Im sure you're a nice enough guy but this thread isnt your shining hour.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    You're right, I derailed this thread with all my insults and memes about someone mixing up whether the victim was 16 or whether the suspect's brother was 16. It's fair to point the finger at me here.

  15. #195
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    40,807
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    You're right, I derailed this thread with all my insults and memes about someone mixing up whether the victim was 16 or whether the suspect's brother was 16. It's fair to point the finger at me here.
    Well, that wasnt me. So whatevs.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •