User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Art Appreciation Thread

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sports Art Appreciation Thread

UPDATE: I know this thread is a few months old, but I decided to add some of my new pieces in a new post rather than creating another thread. Look forward to seeing some art!

I have gained a much larger appreciation for art over the last few months and I've had the opportunity to commission a few pieces and picked up a few others, but let me get this thread started with my utmost favorite sports art and another cool sketch:

Artist: Tim Carroll
    Size: 20"x28"
    Medium: Drinking Straws
    More Info: https://www.timcarrollart.com/mroctober.htm

Let me start off by saying Tim is a fantastic person to deal with and when I saw that he made this Reggie available, I had to have it. I am extremely thankful to have had the opportunity to purchase this item and it will remain a centerpiece in my collection for years to come. Unfortunately, the photo of this piece just does not do it justice. I am astonished with the execution and precision of this piece and it took Tim over 50 hours to complete! Huge thanks to Mr. Carroll!

Artist: Dave Hobrecht
    Size: 5"x7"
    Medium: Pencil

I was happy to come across this piece done by one of the premier sports card artists. Dave has been featured in several sets for Topps, so it was cool to add a piece of my favorite player to my collection.

Anyone else have some cool art to share? Look forward to seeing some nice sports art!

I will try to occasionally add some items to the thread as I pick them up, but I will be hard pressed to find an item that I appreciate more than my new Mr. October.
    Last edited by Y4NK335; 03-02-2014 at 12:37 PM.

CFD1415
     icollectcarp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those Are Nice

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool stuff. I don't have anything to speak of but have considered doing my own portraits to accompany my hof autographs. Big undertaking though to do just one...

Sent from my iPhone

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wkpeters3213 View Post
    Nice!

Sent from my iPhone

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur K. Miller does some great stuff. This is a Ty Cobb I have.

Picked up the Joe Jackson for my brother.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my favorite sports "art" is the baseball ballparks calendar i get every year. A ballpark art dealer puts reproductions of the prints he sells in the calendar. I have yet to pull the trigger on a print - there are so many well done sports art images that I can't make up my mind which one I like enough to buy rather than just enjoy on the calendar.

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite sports artis is Graig Kreindler and I have had the pleasure of speaking with him many times via Facebook and other message boards and meeting him at this years National as well. This guys stuff is amazing and his attention to detail makes his paintings look like photos. He work has been featured in a recent book about baseball by the U.S. Postal Service, the Yogi Berra Museum, the Normal Rockwell Museum and various other places.

I will send Graig an invite to pop over here on FCB. He is on the Net54 boards as well as the PSA boards and is very open to answer any questions anyone may have.

https://graigkreindler.com/

A few examples of his work....

Last edited by mchenrycards; 11-13-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few drawings by this artist..

https://danielmsmithart.com/id2.html

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mchenrycards View Post
    My favorite sports artis is Graig Kreindler and I have had the pleasure of speaking with him many times via Facebook and other message boards and meeting him at this years National as well. This guys stuff is amazing and his attention to detail makes his paintings look like photos. He work has been featured in a recent book about baseball by the U.S. Postal Service, the Yogi Berra Museum, the Normal Rockwell Museum and various other places.

I will send Graig an invite to pop over here on FCB. He is on the Net54 boards as well as the PSA boards and is very open to answer any questions anyone may have.

https://graigkreindler.com/

A few examples of his work....

I have talked with him via FB, and he does some amazing stuff..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wkpeters3213 View Post
    Awesome stuff! I can't wait until you get to add the Pastime APs I'm completing for your collection

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some additions to the list - some of my favorites were already mentioned above.

I think artist Peter Chen's "Jumbotron Art" portrait series was imaginative and interesting.

Ken Branch does really nice sketch cards.

Kadir Nelson's paintings for the book "We Are The Ship" are fantastic. My favorite illustrated baseball book

Mike Floyd does amazing work with baseballs as his canvas.

he did this less expensive version of his usual commission for me of Cap Anson

Last edited by gracecollector; 11-13-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    my favorite sports "art" is the baseball ballparks calendar i get every year. A ballpark art dealer puts reproductions of the prints he sells in the calendar. I have yet to pull the trigger on a print - there are so many well done sports art images that I can't make up my mind which one I like enough to buy rather than just enjoy on the calendar.

Now that you mention it, I actually have a calendar with some awesome art as well from my days at MLBN that was put together by Bill Goff. Has a great assortment of vintage classic ballparks and a nice centerfold:

https://www.goodsportsart.com/cgi-bin...tyoverride=yes (similar to this one, just branded differently)

I love the Royal Wrigley Threads photo from this particular calendar (July 2012).

[MENTION=5862]wkpeters3213[/MENTION] - Love the collection and definitely jealous of those Jeter's!

[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] - I'm also a fan of those jumbrotrons. Love the unique and different pieces. Sweet ball too!

Some great realistic examples shown in this thread as well. Phenomenal work

Hendersonfan
     Hendersonfan24
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this my senior year in high school.

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]

100% on Kadir Nelson. The pictures in that book (children's I might add) are simply stunning and original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast