Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why would anyone use those 2 piece sliding plastic boxes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Just picked up a nice stack of bowman chrome prospects and forgot I didn't have the HINGED plastic boxes to store them.

So reluctantly I went to the scrap heap for one of these "gems" to use for now 1430577790971.jpg

I stopped using these years ago because they suck and always...always...come apart when picked up and the cards fall while you're left holding the lid.

The big one pictured above is bad but the small ones should be banned!

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I don't buy those types of boxes myself but like you I have a few kicking around. I use them for cards that I haven't yet properly sorted and put away.

This one is actually pretty good. The sides are cut out to make it easier to take cards in and out. Also, the lid sort of "clicks" down to prevent that dreaded coming apart when lifted. I've never seen these for sale, and I think I got this during a trade.

1430581166688.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I've seen yours before, very infrequently though but have to say that as long as it snaps close, those are awesome.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I use them for putting small sets(100 or less cards) in. I tape them shut and usually put them in a three row super shoe box holding much the same. They work well.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I put my cards in them in such a fashion that you are grabbing/touching each of the pieces together when you pick up the box to transport it, rather than putting cards in the box such that you are grabbing the sliding lid when picking up the box, causing an accident with your cards.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I hate the hinged holders. The round corners will ding the card's corners. I never understood why anyone uses them, hate getting them in the mail, and should be banned. I use the two piece ones for mid to high end cards till I have time to sort and they help a lot!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I hate the hinged holders (...) hate getting them in the mail,

everyone should hate getting them in the mail. The worst thing that happened to me was buying a 25 or so lot of cards each numbered /2001 in 2001 and in transport, the plastic case was crushed and the shards dug into the cards damaging all but like 5.

That's why I cringe when I receive cards in cases nowdays even if the cards are fine because it brings back that awful memory of what can happen if the plastic case breaks in transit.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wrap an elastic around mine.

I used to on the slider types where you are more likely to pick it up by the lid (rather than a type where you can put the cards in it another way so you are likely to pick it up not by the lid).

the problem with elastic is that it dries out, cracks and breaks over time so you are back at square one. I use masking tape to tape the halves together since it seems to last better over time for sliders that I put aside and don't get to working with for months.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Best use of the 2-piece boxes is for storing buttons, marbles, and other small 3D oddball items. I put the item in a sealed teambag, roll the bag around the item for cushioning, and then put in one of the smaller 2-piece boxes.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
I used to on the slider types where you are more likely to pick it up by the lid (rather than a type where you can put the cards in it another way so you are likely to pick it up not by the lid).

the problem with elastic is that it dries out, cracks and breaks over time so you are back at square one. I use masking tape to tape the halves together since it seems to last better over time for sliders that I put aside and don't get to working with for months.

yeah they seem to snap by themselves. you can use regular scotch tape also by making tabs for easy removal.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Best use of the 2-piece boxes is for storing buttons, marbles, and other small 3D oddball items. I put the item in a sealed teambag, roll the bag around the item for cushioning, and then put in one of the smaller 2-piece boxes.

Oddly enough I do the exact same. Plus they are good for booklet cards which I have a fetish with. I'll put the booklet card in with enough decoy cards(thick white cardboard pieces) to keep the card from moving around. Then tape the sides. Works like a charm.

Members online