User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 100

Thread: Bus Messages Called Offensive When Read Backwards

  1. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,296
     tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If academia is so open-minded and tolerant, why do comedians now avoid it?

    https://ricochet.com/jerry-seinfeld-...-comedy-pause/

    Tell a joke to a liberal. Between your punchline and his laughter, there is a Progressive Comedy Pause. In this second or two, the liberal will process the joke to make sure he is allowed to laugh. Is that joke racist? He mentioned Obama, but didn’t make light of him, so to speak. He also mentioned Michelle, but I didn’t notice sexism. Is it dismissive of the LGBTQIA community? Latinos? Muslims? Vegans? Will this joke hurt progressive causes? Will my laughter trivialize oppressed communities? Will I appear intolerant? I think it’s okay if I laugh. Yes, I’ll laugh now to signal my appreciation and to indicate that I’m not a joyless liberal scold.
    “Ha ha.”
    I first noticed the Progressive Comedy Pause while sharing my hilarity at office staff meetings. The majority would laugh but the committed lefties would stare blankly, each eye like that spinning wheel your smartphone shows while an app is loading. (The PCP might be why progressives just hoot and clap at Bill Maher’s jokes; the laughter reflex is considered problematic.)
    What’s an annoyance in a business meeting is deadly to stand-up comedy. Social Justice Warriors regularly screech about thoughtcrime on Saturday Night Live, The Daily Show, and anywhere else jokes are told. Comedians are now afraid to set foot on campus — traditionally the preferred venue to test material and build a following — because political correctness has become so toxic.
    Jerry Seinfeld told ESPN Radio’s Colin Cowherd that his friends Chris Rock and Larry the Cable Guy have stopped performing at colleges:
    ”I don’t play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me, ‘Don’t go near colleges. They’re so PC,’” said Seinfeld.
    He continued, “I’ll give you an example: My daughter’s 14. My wife says to her, ‘Well, you know, in the next couple years, I think maybe you’re going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.’ You know what my daughter says? She says, ‘That’s sexist.’”
    Seinfeld said college students don’t understand racism and sexism. “They just want to use these words: ‘That’s racist;’ ‘That’s sexist;’ ‘That’s prejudice.’ [sic] They don’t even know what the [expletive] they’re talking about.”
    It’s harder to laugh when you’re scared and much of the left is terrified. They know that an inappropriate chuckle, the wrong tweet, or last year’s term for an aggrieved minority can lessen their standing with progressive peers, if not get them fired from a job. Lefties also have turned the negative of humorlessness into the positive of moral superiority. Sniffing “That’s not funny!” at an inoffensive Caitlyn Jenner joke signals that you are more evolved than the average cis-het-white-oppressor. The same people who laughed at Dana Carvey’s “Church Lady” now aspire to be her.
    Unfortunately for Seinfeld, I expect this trend to get worse. Progressive conferences instruct their attendees about all the jokes that are off-limits. At last year’s Netroots Nation, professional “humorists” offered to review jokes to ensure they didn’t harm disenfranchised communities. At the three-day event, I rarely saw an attendee crack a smile, let alone laugh.
    More and more, comedians are realizing that their progressive allies are the ones trying to silence them, not those unsophisticated conservatives comics love to mock. Perhaps comics should seize this opportunity to joke about humorless liberals before it’s too late.
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

    www.supercollectorcatalog.com

    Here is a link to the cameo section:

    https://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

  2. #77
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    41,534
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love when you point out "proof" from far right sources. It adds a certain credibility.

    Are you saying with this piece of literary brilliance people now also dont have the right to decide whats funny or not?

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  3. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,296
     tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    I love when you point out "proof" from far right sources. It adds a certain credibility.

    Are you saying with this piece of literary brilliance people now also dont have the right to decide whats funny or not?

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Yes, noted far-right conservatives like Chris Rock are really skewing the issue.

    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6110

    Comedian and actor Chris Rock has decided he is going to stop playing college campuses because they are “way too conservative.”

    Rock doesn’t mean the students are conservative in their political views, as he told New York Magazine, but he feels students are too sensitive and are unable to take jokes.

    "You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive."


    “Not in their political views—not like they’re voting Republican—but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody,” said Rock. “Kids raised on a culture of ‘We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.’ Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say ‘the black kid over there.’ No, it’s ‘the guy with the red shoes.’ You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.”

    Rock said that such sensitivity can be seen when students protest every time they don’t like a featured speaker, pointing to demonstrations against civil liberty activists, noted progressives, and staffers from the Huffington Post.
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

    www.supercollectorcatalog.com

    Here is a link to the cameo section:

    https://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

  4. #79
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    41,534
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    Yes, noted far-right conservatives like Chris Rock are really skewing the issue.

    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6110

    Comedian and actor Chris Rock has decided he is going to stop playing college campuses because they are “way too conservative.”

    Rock doesn’t mean the students are conservative in their political views, as he told New York Magazine, but he feels students are too sensitive and are unable to take jokes.

    "You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive."


    “Not in their political views—not like they’re voting Republican—but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody,” said Rock. “Kids raised on a culture of ‘We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.’ Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say ‘the black kid over there.’ No, it’s ‘the guy with the red shoes.’ You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.”

    Rock said that such sensitivity can be seen when students protest every time they don’t like a featured speaker, pointing to demonstrations against civil liberty activists, noted progressives, and staffers from the Huffington Post.

    So my question again. Are people now unable to decide what they think is funny or not? I dont have the right to choose not to listen to someone I may find offensive?

    Full disclosure, i love all comedy and have almost zero in terms on boundaries but that doesnt mean I dont get why some people arent.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  5. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,296
     tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    So my question again. Are people now unable to decide what they think is funny or not? I dont have the right to choose not to listen to someone I may find offensive?
    I don't care. People questioned if academia has become a hotbed of puritanical scolds and I am supplying evidence for them.
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

    www.supercollectorcatalog.com

    Here is a link to the cameo section:

    https://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

  6. #81
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    41,534
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    I don't care. People questioned if academia has become a hotbed of puritanical scolds and I am supplying evidence for them.
    its a hotbed on both sides.

    and both sides are about imposing their will on the other. Lets not make this about "progressives" because it insults peoples intelligence since the same happens in conservative schools.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  7. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,296
     tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    its a hotbed on both sides.

    and both sides are about imposing their will on the other. Lets not make this about "progressives" because it insults peoples intelligence since the same happens in conservative schools.
    You are so predictable. Your arguments from the last five minutes:

    1) Like we should believe anything from a conservative source

    When that doesn't work because it is liberals making the point...

    2) Well okay, but people are allowed to have their own opinions on what is not funny.

    When he realizes he basically confirmed what I was saying, he went to the old standard...

    3) Well, conservatives are doing it too.

    Here he tries to move the goalposts again. I'd be curious what conservative students are complaining about "microaggressions", "triggering" and demanding "safe spaces" to avoid being exposed to unpleasant ideas and other "badthink" being imposed by cis-gendered, white priviliged males.
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

    www.supercollectorcatalog.com

    Here is a link to the cameo section:

    https://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

  8. #83
    Administrator phillyfan0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    41,534
     tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    You are so predictable. Your arguments from the last five minutes:

    1) Like we should believe anything from a conservative source

    When that doesn't work because it is liberals making the point...

    2) Well okay, but people are allowed to have their own opinions on what is not funny.

    When he realizes he basically confirmed what I was saying, he went to the old standard...

    3) Well, conservatives are doing it too.

    Here he tries to move the goalposts again. I'd be curious what conservative students are complaining about "microaggressions", "triggering" and demanding "safe spaces" to avoid being exposed to unpleasant ideas and other "badthink" being imposed by cis-gendered, white priviliged males.

    Sorry, you arent exactly a wild card on these types of subjects.

    i feel like your arguments have pushed points that are obvious.

    your point seems to be people should have to be forced to listen to things they dont want to. Maybe comedians realize they cant sell tickets. What does that mean?
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

  9. #84
    Senior Member All The Hype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    10,250
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This country is turning into the biggest bunch of pussies on the planet.


    This might literally be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.


  10. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by All The Hype View Post
    This country is turning into the biggest bunch of pussies on the planet.


    This might literally be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
    Exactly. Since everyone is SO sensitive now let's give everyone a trophy.

  11. #86
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,099
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we can all agree conservative fundamentalist are hilarious.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

  12. #87
    Senior Member BBCgalaxee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,371
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently speaking to a lawyer regarding suing FCB because when I read it backwards, it reminds of when I got sick at a Yao Lo Ming restaurant.

    B...BAD
    C...CHINESE
    F...FOOD

  13. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    I think we can all agree conservative fundamentalist are hilarious.

    Thank You. Trophy please....

  14. #89
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,099
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennesawsportscards View Post
    Thank You. Trophy please....
    Step on up to the podium. Come on now, no need to be shy.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012NMEAWardsNoelGallagher400PA290212-300x200.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	51796
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

  15. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    Step on up to the podium. Come on now, no need to be shy.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012NMEAWardsNoelGallagher400PA290212-300x200.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	51796

    Been up to your podium many times. You don't like my type. I feel like Kanye, only white....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •