User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Arod 3,000 hit!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris19978 View Post
    Shoeless Joe actually changed the outcome of a game in a negative way him and his teammate purposely lost a word series. Is on a whole different level than Pete Rose betting on games and it seemed he was not really betting for or against his team. The PED users are different as well and people will come to realize what they did was wrong but also saved baseball.
    They did nothing wrong but break the rules of baseball... thats all...and they didnt "save" baseball
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    https://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo870 View Post
    They did nothing wrong but break the rules of baseball... thats all...and they didnt "save" baseball
    One writers opinion that disagrees with you, as do I.
    The Steroid Era Saved MLB; It’s Time They Recognize It

By Jason Fletcher [MENTION=11777]Jason[/MENTION]Fletcher25 on April 30, 2015
    Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The strike-shortened season of 1994 could have been the beginning of the end for Major League Baseball. Fans were angry and fed up that MLB and the MLBPA couldn’t get a deal worked out to save the season. It was a season in which the Montreal Expos, a team that had only one playoff appearance under its belt, had the best record in baseball, and Tony Gwynn had a shot at becoming the first hitter since Ted Williams to hit .400 in a season. But it was all for naught, as both as the players went on strike and wiped out the entire 1994 season.

When the two sides finally worked out an agreement in 1995, it was too late to play an entire season, so they played yet another shortened season. Fans were still angry, and it showed in attendance numbers and revenue. Attendance was down 20 percent in 1995 when compared to the last full season played in 1993. Revenue fell from $1.87 billion in 1993 to $1.4 billion in 1995.

In 1996, attendance was still down 10 percent compared to 1993 and revenue still hadn’t quite reached the levels of the 1993 season. Things were looking bleak for MLB and there wasn’t a whole lot they could do. There was one trend in 1996 that seemingly came out of nowhere and would eventually end up saving the entire league. By the end of the season, there were 17 hitters who had produced 40 or more home runs. In 1993, the season prior to the strike, there were only five batters to hit 40 or more home runs. This would catch the interest of fans and would provide light at the end of the tunnel for MLB.

The 1998 season was the greatest in the history of America’s pastime. Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa would enter into the greatest home run race of our generation. It was a display unlike any other, and, whether you are opposed to steroids or not, it was the most memorable summer in baseball. Both guys would go on to break Roger Maris‘ 37-year-old record of 61 home runs in a season. McGwire would finish with 70 and Sosa with 66. The race captivated, not only the entire baseball community, but the entire country. MLB couldn’t have asked for better timing, and they were soaking it up as revenue jumped all the way up to $2.5 billion.

McGwire’s 70 home runs seemed like a record that would last forever, but then came the 2001 season and a guy by the name of Barry Bonds. Bonds would put together what was widely considered the greatest season of any hitter in history, as he finished the season with a major-league record 177 walks. He also had a .515 on-base percentage and another major-league record .863 slugging percentage. Bonds also hit .328 and had 137 RBIs. It was a brilliant season and one that will never be duplicated. Oh yeah, he also broke McGwire’s all-time single season home run record after smashing 73 homers and etched his name in the record books. Bonds would go on to later break Hank Aaron’s career home run record of 755 on Aug. 7, 2007, a night I will never forget, and finish his career with 762 bombs.

From 1995 to 2001, attendance rose 44 percent at MLB games and revenue rose from $1.4 billion to $3.7 billion. Those numbers prove that steroids saved baseball from disappearing from the national pro sports landscape. Everyone wants to punish the players who took steroids when what they accomplished could be considered the most important era of all time.

MLB was the one that didn’t put any steroid testing in place until 2003. MLB was ecstatic raking in the dough while these home runs were being hit. No one ever even stopped to think, wow, I wonder why there’s such an astronomical spike in home runs? Everyone enjoyed the ride and lost themselves in the pure excitement of the era. For MLB to then come back and punish these guys and try to expunge all their records is hypocritical. If the steroid era guys can’t go into the record books for what they achieved, then MLB should have to forfeit the revenue they made off the players due to steroids.
    Sent using my two hands, ten fingers, a keyboard and an internet connection.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo870 View Post
    I love the quote [MENTION=1953]Musial Collector[/MENTION] posted and you should realize and appreciate that what they did though was cheating but it also saved baseball and with all the money they made off of Sosa and McGwire during that season they turned away and pretended nothing was going on. Once everything went back to normal they didn't need those monster stats so they dropped the hammer on all the players accused of cheating in a time when they saved baseball. Again you can hate them call them cheaters then you need to call all the players for the last 70 years cheaters and take everyone during that time out of the HOF. It should not be a pick and choose of this guy was a good player and we let him in but this guy was great but cheated so he will not get in. Seems like a double standard to me. Again the only reason why players are getting caught now is that it's impossible to hide secrets now where in the 1950's till now it was easier to get away with it. We have had HOF players from back in the day admit using greenies which helped them out and considered cheating back then but there in so why not let the people who saved baseball in the 90's in as there numbers deserve to be in. It funny how they punished them long after they saved baseball from extinction.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I have wanted un unredeemed redemption card, but it was never a high priority. i looked around from time to time, but have not for years now.

The card was from 1994, the 94 Score R/T or update set and was probably actually issued late 94 or early 95 via redemption process. i got mine on the secondary market, so I am not sure when they were mailed out. With an expiration date of 1/31/95 (thanks to the scan provided), they were not available for much more than a year and with the strike ending the baseball season early, many probably hid undiscovered in boxes that sat on Kmart shelves and by the time people really started buying again, the redemption cards already expired!

I think the card still brings a couple hundred dollars now, bunt have not shopped for one in years. Most I saw available were graded, probably to try to capitalize on the condition sensitive borders and the fact that high graded copies were selling for insane money at one point.

From a collecting standpoint, nothing will ever cause me to stop collecting a certain player or type of card, despite what they may have done or been accused of doing. I may not buy a certain product or brand crest from the packs, but secondary cards are always fair game.
    Was Rodriguez the only player that was redeemed?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was the only subject of the redemption card. I don't think he was named originally, but maybe he was the first guy called up in Sept, so he became the subject? Not totally sure either way.

Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    Was Rodriguez the only player that was redeemed?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    He was the only subject of the redemption card. I don't think he was named originally, but maybe he was the first guy called up in Sept, so he became the subject? Not totally sure either way.
    I want that card for some reason.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want that card for some reason.
    I've been wanting one for a while but they still go over a hundred and I just won't spend that much on it
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    I've been wanting one for a while but they still go over a hundred and I just won't spend that much on it
    Wish his other rookies were wanted like that.Is the Yankees fan who caught the ball still keeping it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1435443519.595717.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	52361

Mr. Enfuego
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac McGwire View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1435443519.595717.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	52361
    Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    "Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in Baseball!!" - Tom Hanks.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good ARod is getting his baseball.

I think it's a crock of **** though that the Yankees aren't paying Alex his owed 6 million and have worked out an arrangement for a charitable donation instead. Pay him his money a-holes.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Good ARod is getting his baseball.

I think it's a crock of **** though that the Yankees aren't paying Alex his owed 6 million and have worked out an arrangement for a charitable donation instead. Pay him his money a-holes.
    He is working on his PR so I am sure it was a slight victory for him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mr. Enfuego
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is donating 3.5 million

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    "Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in Baseball!!" - Tom Hanks.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ARod reaches base 5 of 6 times and with 3 walks. Impressive game all around... Yanks need him more than he needs them I'd say.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast