User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 1994 Collector's Choice Variations

  1. #1
    Junior Member Bjacox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    52
     b_jacox
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1994 Collector's Choice Variations

    Does anyone have information on the 1994 Collector's Choice Gold Signature White Letter Variation? I see Beckett recently added it to the Pop Report. Just looking to see if anyone owns one or knows how many exist. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  

  2. #2
    Junior Member Jhileman79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen one and I thought they were a myth

  3. #3
    Senior Member Gwynn545's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Seattle
    Posts
    5,402
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be curious about this tan variation, too:


    Normal black and silver:

  4. #4
    Senior Member BBCgalaxee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,364
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the tan variations were in factory sets.

    A few years ago I bought a set and all the Up Close cards were tan.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  5. #5
    Senior Member jszczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    I think the tan variations were in factory sets.

    A few years ago I bought a set and all the Up Close cards were tan.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    This is correct.
    Kirby Puckett Collection: 2148/2990 71.84% (As of 5/13/14)
    Current Most Wanted Kirby Puckett's (As of 2/5/17):
    1. 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
    2. 1992 Ace Novelty #307
    3. 2015 Panini Prizm Blue Baseball Retail Parallel
    4. 2016 Donruss 1982 Test Proofs Magenta/10
    5. 2015 Panini Cooperstown Golf

  6. #6
    Junior Member Bjacox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    52
     b_jacox
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they were a myth too. I'd love to see one.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjacox View Post
    Does anyone have information on the 1994 Collector's Choice Gold Signature White Letter Variation? I see Beckett recently added it to the Pop Report. Just looking to see if anyone owns one or knows how many exist. Thanks.
    Beckett has confused the collecting market regarding these cards. So I'll try to clarify on the FF subset variations:

    Known:

    Base, white lettering on front (first letter on back text in white)
    Base, white lettering on front (first letter on back text in gray)
    Silver Sig, silver lettering on front
    Silver Sig, white lettering on front
    *back text variations may apply*
    Gold Sig, gold lettering on front

    To date, I've never seen or heard of a gold sig with white lettering on front and I have player collected a card in the subset and watched over these since 1997.

    When it comes to Jeter's card, Beckett has listed a "white letter" version for the base issue in reference to the back text, but he does not have a "gray letter" version so it's a pointless signifier on their part.

    Now, where "white letter" becomes relevant is with the Silver Sig cards as all FF subjects can be found in this variety and they are much rarer than their corrected counterparts.

    Hope that helps clarify.

  8. #8
    Member Will Style 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    929
     Watcher033
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've asked this before and I don't recall if I got a true answer. Are these a true variation or just a print error or promo? You can see The Hershiser on the right and the others below are missing the pinstripes. Only ones I've seen so far sorting my collection.
    Will Style 13
    Brady Anderson Collector currently 932/1245 75%

    www.comc.com/Users/Watcher033

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Style 13 View Post
    I think I've asked this before and I don't recall if I got a true answer. Are these a true variation or just a print error or promo? You can see The Hershiser on the right and the others below are missing the pinstripes. Only ones I've seen so far sorting my collection.
    I could be wrong but I think they are print flaws where the border color didn't strike. Or that color combination was out while the others printed correctly. It's obviously isolated to the border area.

    I've never seen any others bedsides yours on a few threads and I have looked often since you posted them.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    Beckett has confused the collecting market regarding these cards. So I'll try to clarify on the FF subset variations:

    Known:

    Base, white lettering on front (first letter on back text in white)
    Base, white lettering on front (first letter on back text in gray)
    Silver Sig, silver lettering on front
    Silver Sig, white lettering on front
    *back text variations may apply*
    Gold Sig, gold lettering on front

    To date, I've never seen or heard of a gold sig with white lettering on front and I have player collected a card in the subset and watched over these since 1997.

    When it comes to Jeter's card, Beckett has listed a "white letter" version for the base issue in reference to the back text, but he does not have a "gray letter" version so it's a pointless signifier on their part.

    Now, where "white letter" becomes relevant is with the Silver Sig cards as all FF subjects can be found in this variety and they are much rarer than their corrected counterparts.

    Hope that helps clarify.
    Agreed I have looked for many years, I have personally not seen a grey letter back for Jeter and I am not sure if that exists beckett really has no clue on the 90's cards as there missing a lot of variations and Promos. I personally helped them add items on there website mostly to help others know there are cards out there they don't know about. I for one still don't know if I have a master Jeter list of his 1992 to 1996 cards. I have not even built a missing lost from 1997 to 1999 but I know some that are out there. I would like to think I am a subject matter expert on Jeter cards from the 90's.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  11. #11
    Junior Member MatthewN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Coralville, IA
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reminded again that there is value in taking some time and picking through player lots on eBay that initially appear to be a waste.

    This is not a hugely exciting addition to my collection, but within a 40 card lot of Puckett Junk, I was able to spot the 1994 Collector's Choice Up Close and Personal tan/white variation for Puckett that I did not have.

    Collector of Kirby Puckett, Benj Sampson, Scott Stahoviak, Billy Beane, Al Newman, T206 Wash/Minn/StP, and Metrodome game/stadium used artifacts.

  12. #12
    Senior Member RStadlerASU22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,873
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Very nice. I've been tempted on many occasions to buy bulk lots of "could have variations" but haven't pulled the trigger. Think I might on some Stadium ones first and see if it was worth the $. Nice find regardless of how valuable it is.

    Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •