User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who needs private industry when the federal govt does a great job of polluting rivers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    This is from the same OP who said race relations today are worse than he can remember...me thinks its more of the Obama hysteria some suffer from...
    Or the OP is like 13 years old.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

"We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – Willard Romney

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Labratt21 View Post
    Or the OP is like 13 years old.
    Maybe its that guy who was trying to give off the wife died let's trade story Hahaha , just wanted a reason to bring him up
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fordman View Post
    Those mines (man made) were a disaster way way before Obama so for someone to compare this to the Katrina (natural) disaster, needs to re-examine their apples and oranges.
    I'm not comparing the cause, I'm comparing the govt reaction to the situation. "Good job, Brownie" is my favorite new phrase for govt f-up! Who can forget Bush 43 praising the FEMA director when FEMA screwed the pooch on how they handled Katrina? The EPA is screwing the pooch on handling the release of the toxic material - probably should have left the abandoned gold mine site alone since it was a very slow leak of toxic material until the EPA got involved with the contractors they had control over.

If you think this is oversensitivity, name a worse EPA-caused (through contractors) event. all that come to my mind are ones that natural disasters exacerbated or ones that private industry caused that the EPA had to come in to help fix.

Too bad you can't roll the clock back to the 1900's and put in the various mine rules that we have now - the mine had its last nugget in the early 1920's and the EPA didn't have the mine rules they have now.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    probably should have left the abandoned gold mine site alone since it was a very slow leak of toxic material
    Probably not, but why let facts get in the way.

For years, the Gold King has leaked toxic water at a rate of 50 to 250 gallons a minute. The agency had planned to find the source of the leak in the hope of one day stanching it.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not comparing the cause, I'm comparing the govt reaction to the situation. "Good job, Brownie" is my favorite new phrase for govt f-up! Who can forget Bush 43 praising the FEMA director when FEMA screwed the pooch on how they handled Katrina? The EPA is screwing the pooch on handling the release of the toxic material - probably should have left the abandoned gold mine site alone since it was a very slow leak of toxic material until the EPA got involved with the contractors they had control over.

If you think this is oversensitivity, name a worse EPA-caused (through contractors) event. all that come to my mind are ones that natural disasters exacerbated or ones that private industry caused that the EPA had to come in to help fix.

Too bad you can't roll the clock back to the 1900's and put in the various mine rules that we have now - the mine had its last nugget in the early 1920's and the EPA didn't have the mine rules they have now.
    "Screwing the pooch" is not even the same scale. Trying to bring FEMA and Katrina into a discussion of a mine leak to so absurd it just further reveals how little you know about the situation. If the EPA would have " left the abandoned gold mine site alone", the breech would have likely happened anyway. It was an acidic solution that was working on the mine. It's just as likely that there was no way this breech was never going to happen in the course of the clean-up.

Thousands of Americans died, arguably, because of FEMA's weak response to Katrina; no one, unless they are a Darwin Award candidate, will die here. If this is the worst physical damage the EPA is ever responsible for (which, again, it's debatable they are), then they are the greatest government organization ever.

I like how you won't address any of the points that are fact-based.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

JayBruceFan32
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I dont know how old you are but there wasnt an EPA when the mine was active. Back then, it was pump n dump wherever. Private industry has caused a lot of issues in the 20th century and the EPA was made because of those issues. Pittsburgh, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo, Akron-OH, LA and many more were all polluted because industry decided it pollute the water, soil and air. Most of those companies are out of business because they choose to pollute and didnt want to change their business for clean up, they went into bankruptcy protecting themselves from prosecution for polluting. I believe the pollution from 1900-1985 is the direct cause of lots of illness (cancer-tumors) with people today and it has genetically altered our genes to carry on those health issues.

I work for a major auto manufacturer that was as guilty as anyone for pollution but they at least acknowledged they did it and cleaned a lot of their pollution up. They have also found out that its way cheaper to capture and dispose of the toxins properly rather than spill it everywhere and worry about it later.

Fordman

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a turning point for the country with respect to clean air laws.
    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103359330
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aarne13 View Post
    This was a turning point for the country with respect to clean air laws.
    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103359330
    Defund.

Defund.

Defund.

Defund.

Defund everything, no matter the 'cost.'
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been said that behind every great fortune is a great crime. Well, behind every great regulation is a great malfeasance. Nowhere is that more true than environmental regulations.

amosrusie
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-gover...211954305.html

According to the EPA Chief, the river seems to be cleansing itself.
    Scott

Did your favorite player ever hit 5 home runs in a doubleheader?

tse-investments
     phillyfan0417
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this isnt the EPA's katrina?
    [MENTION=2726]rsmath[/MENTION]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    --Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyfan0417 View Post
    So this isnt the EPA's katrina?
    @rsmath

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Just because you don't have any proof that thousands of people didn't die doesn't mean it hasn't happened. FEMA and the EPA are hauling the bodies into the mountains and burning them. All those "wildfires" ....... body burnings conducted by FEMA and the EPA to save the Obama administration from impeachment.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson

"We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love." – Willard Romney

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Colbert 17 View Post
    https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-gover...211954305.html

According to the EPA Chief, the river seems to be cleansing itself.
    The tried and true method for dealing with acids and bases is: dilution is the solution.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hive17 View Post
    The tried and true method for dealing with acids and bases is: dilution is the solution.
    I am a Chemist and I agree with this message. Alternatively, there is neutralization but that will depend upon the medium that is experiencing the higher levels of acidity/basicity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast