Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hi from a new card collector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
Hi, I'm Kayla and I am 21 years old and a Senior at the University of Minnesota where I am studying Nutrition to become a Dietitian. I am from Maryland and a Die Hard Ravens Fan. So how did I get interested in collecting Football Cards. Well I attended college with Maxx Williams who was drafted this past off season in the 2nd Round by my Baltimore Ravens. So since I followed Maxx in his college career I thought it would be interesting to try and get as many as his sports cards as I can. So as you can tell I am new to all of this so I will need some resources from all of your card collecting experts on what is a good price and where is the best place to shop for cards. One problem is at least for the next two semesters is I will be in Minnesota for the majority of the time in my apartment. I will only be at my Parents Place during breaks. The only card I have purchased so far is a 2015 Topps Inception Auto Patch Card off of Ebay. I got it for $14.95 and $3.50 shipping. Do you think that was a fair price? So that is how I got myself into the Football Card collecting business. Some other things I enjoy are jogging, classic rock music, watching Ravens Football, and partying with my friends. OK that's enough about me. Hope to chat and learn more about card collecting from everyone.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Hello Kayla... Welcome to FCB.

As for determining fair value, the best way to check out fair market for any card is to search the ended/Sold auctions on eBay and that should give you your best indicator. Obviously cards will always go up or down depending on how good the player is doing at any moment and there popularity. The one thing I have noticed is that when new products hit the shelves the cards always hold a slight premium initially but if you are patient most of the time you can get them for less money down the road. Just a few thought for you. Happy collecting and good luck

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
Hello Kayla... Welcome to FCB.

As for determining fair value, the best way to check out fair market for any card is to search the ended/Sold auctions on eBay and that should give you your best indicator. Obviously cards will always go up or down depending on how good the player is doing at any moment and there popularity. The one thing I have noticed is that when new products hit the shelves the cards always hold a slight premium initially but if you are patient most of the time you can get them for less money down the road. Just a few thought for you. Happy collecting and good luck

I will keep that in mind. The next time I bid or buy a Maxx Williams card I will look to see what a finish auction sold for. Thanks

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
First, Kayla welcome to FCB..

Second, are you only collecting his cards or are you going to collect other Ravens cards as well..

If you decide to collect other Ravens cards, I'm sure I probably have some laying around that I would be more than happy to get your collection going..
Just send me a PM with your address and I'll send them to you..

Enjoy your stay,
Kevin

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
Thanks everyone for the welcomes. For now I am only trying to collect Maxx Williams cards. I will also keep in mind the prices at comc.com.

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
JEBJJA: Thanks for the welcome. It looks like you sold the card. It was a nice one.

AmishDave: Hell Yeah!!!!! That cheer has been around for a long time in Golden Gopher land.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Hi, I'm Kayla and I am 21 years old and a Senior at the University of Minnesota where I am studying Nutrition to become a Dietitian. I am from Maryland and a Die Hard Ravens Fan. So how did I get interested in collecting Football Cards. Well I attended college with Maxx Williams who was drafted this past off season in the 2nd Round by my Baltimore Ravens. So since I followed Maxx in his college career I thought it would be interesting to try and get as many as his sports cards as I can. So as you can tell I am new to all of this so I will need some resources from all of your card collecting experts on what is a good price and where is the best place to shop for cards. One problem is at least for the next two semesters is I will be in Minnesota for the majority of the time in my apartment. I will only be at my Parents Place during breaks. The only card I have purchased so far is a 2015 Topps Inception Auto Patch Card off of Ebay. I got it for $14.95 and $3.50 shipping. Do you think that was a fair price? So that is how I got myself into the Football Card collecting business. Some other things I enjoy are jogging, classic rock music, watching Ravens Football, and partying with my friends. OK that's enough about me. Hope to chat and learn more about card collecting from everyone.

Welcome, I thought I had posted here before but I will jump in late.

The most important thing in collecting is completely fitting in, which either means looking the same as everyone else or acting that way.
Since you're not 370 pounds with neckbeard I will let you know how collectors act. ;) (especially at other forums)

Always stay alert for when new Topps products come out... so you can take a big dump on them. Too boring of a design, not boring enough, not enough value, sticker autos etc. Always say "thanks Topps"

You also hate redemptions. . .even if you knowingly buy redemption products again and again. Have a MS Word document on hand for all the times Topps has screwed you out of a good redemption, and post it anytime people bring up redemptions.

Everyone who is a player collector is a fanboy and their player is overrated... and certainly on steroids.

Everyone who is a set collector is living in the past and is wasting their time . . minus collectors of 96 Select Cert., T206, T210, 98 Donruss Crusades, etc. Those guys are cool I guess. :rolleyes: (secretly hate those guys too because they are spending too much money.)

That's about it, much easier to just grow neckbeard.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
JEBJJA: Thanks for the welcome. It looks like you sold the card. It was a nice one.

AmishDave: Hell Yeah!!!!! That cheer has been around for a long time in Golden Gopher land.

Absolutely. Went to my first game last year (vs. Eastern Illinois). Such a fun time. Hoping to get to the TCU game this year (since I dislike cold weather games).

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
JVHaste: That is some funny **** right there. I will most certainly keep all that in mind.

AmishDave: Yep, I was there. As I remember it was a pretty explosive 4th Quarter for the Gophers. Maxx had a few catches as well.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
JVHaste: That is some funny **** right there. I will most certainly keep all that in mind.

AmishDave: Yep, I was there. As I remember it was a pretty explosive 4th Quarter for the Gophers. Maxx had a few catches as well.

Just one tip, its not a big deal but if u put a @ in front of a username they get an alert u mentioned them if they're on a PC. No biggie either way

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN

Yeah, the first three quarters were bleh. Plenty of errors by the 'Phers to keep EIU in it. Maxx had one of his leaps of the season in the game and I got a decent picture of it. I was sitting in the open end zone, nearest the Gophers bench, 4 rows up I think.

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, the first three quarters were bleh. Plenty of errors by the 'Phers to keep EIU in it. Maxx had one of his leaps of the season in the game and I got a decent picture of it. I was sitting in the open end zone, nearest the Gophers bench, 4 rows up I think.
Did you happen to see Maxx hurdle the Saints player in the Ravens pre-season game? That was vintage Maxx going all out.

Members online