Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB Hot List 10-23-15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
FCB Hot List 10-23-15
Author: Tyler Short

Much to the delight of cardboard collectors everywhere, the official FCB Hot List is back! Starting today, we will continue the series on a bi-weekly basis. The goal of the Hot List is to be an accurate representation of the 8 (at least) hottest players within the past two weeks; measured in trade volume and percentage increases in sell value. Initially, the Hot List will be baseball specific. Big thanks to Phillyfan and the rest of the FCB mods to allow me to do this. As always, feedback is appreciated, and my plan is to periodically include a contest associated with the Hot List to help drive comments and interaction.

Harvey.jpg
1) Matt Harvey
Key Card(s): 2010 Bowman Chrome Draft Autographs
Status: Your not misreading this at all. The first few spots are occupied by 3 young fireball arms that just so happen to be playing for a World Series championship. Young talent plus a New York Market plus the first NL pennant for the Mets in 15 years equals a perfect storm for baseball card prospectors. The Dark Knight of Gotham is doing everything he can to make this dream season a reality, and the baseball card market is noticing.
Movement: 2010 Bowman Chrome Draft Refractor Auto BGS 9.5 $199 on 9/22 --> $425 on 10/22

deGrom.jpg
2) Jacob deGrom
Key Card(s): 2014 Topps Heritage Real One Autographs
Status: The 2014 NL ROY has been nothing short of phenomenal in his sophomore campaign. deGrom sported a 2.54 ERA with 205 strikeouts in 191 innings in 2015. deGrom is one of the few stars that aren’t not depicted on a Bowman Chrome Autographed card. His 2014 Bowman Chrome
Movement:2014 Topps Heritage Real One Autographs $61 on 9/6 --> $125 on 10/22

Noah.jpg
3) Noah Syndergaard
Key Card(s): 2010 Bowman Chrome Draft Autographs
Status: Amazingly, 2010 Bowman Chrome products just keep on giving in 2015. “Thor” is quickly grabbing the attention of prospectors as the Mets continue to make a World Series push. In every step along the way, Syndergaard continues to gain hobby momentum. Given his youth, a 1.04 WHIP and 166 strikeouts in 150 innings, it’s possible that Syndergaards’ hobby career has the potential to mimic the likes of Matt Harvey. That has those currently holding excited for the future.
Movement: 2010 Bowman Chrome Draft Autographs $34 on 10/11 --> $89.99 on 10/18

Bryant.jpg
4) Kris Bryant
Key Card(s): 2013 Bowman Chrome Autographs, 2014 Bowman Chrome Autographs
Status: What 2015 baseball card hot list wouldn’t have the name Kris Bryant plastered somewhere in it? Well, at one point in July, one could argue that the Cubs slugger would have been more fitted for a Not-So-Hot list. Bryant hit a mid summer slump that dropped prices and left many jumping ship for newer MLB faces in Lindor and Correa. But Bryant finished his 2015 campaign on a high note, posting a 1.042 OPS in August and then a 0.944 OPS in September. Unfortunately, critics will dwell on his 6/34 performance in the post season, so expect prices to soften over the offseason. But at this point, with each new 2015 release, Bryant continues to be the hot commodity.
Movement: Volume

Correa.jpg
5) Carlos Correa
Key Card(s): 2013 Bowman Chrome Autographs
Status: Correa dominated the top of this list for approximately 1 hour during the past two weeks. Had fate been on Correa’s side, or in other words, had his glove been 1 inch closer to the deflected ground ball up the middle in the AL Divisional Series, Correa might have moved one step closer to the upper echelon that is dominated by Mike Trout and Bryce Harper. After coming off a historical rookie year, Correa followed it up with what should have been a game winning/series-winning pair of home runs, which, for a short period of time, did catapult his value into new heights….Then he burned it all down to the ground with the error. Despite this, Correa has solidified himself as a legitimate rookie of the year contender, and expected perennial all star for many years to come.
Movement: Volume

Donaldson.jpg
6) Josh Donaldson
Key Card(s): 2010 Bowman Chrome Autographs
Status: In 2010, I honestly would have never expected this card or player to be relevant in 2015. Really, who saw this coming 5 years ago? I wasn’t even happy to have Donaldson auto-drafted on my fantasy team for 2014! My how the times have changed. What was once trash has turned to gold, and for me, Donaldson and his 2010 Bowman Chrome Autograph represents potentially one of the biggest short term investment opportunities for the 2015 World Series. It’s all but solidified that Donaldson will dethrone the All-Mighty-Trout for the AL MVP. That alone should confer a price increase. Any hot streek against 4 of the best arms in baseball during the World Series could make these explode.
Movement: 2010 Bowman Chrome Autographs $64 on 10/10 --> $91.99 on 10/23

Schwarber.jpg
7) Kyle Schwarber
Key Card(s): 2014 Bowman Chrome Draft Autographs
Status: Schwarzer is admittedly an interesting case for a hot list selection. Considering this list takes into consideration the hottest players within the last 2 weeks, he meets the criteria. But, expect the market to soften on Schwarber over the next few months for a couple of reasons. Naturally, the offseason will soften the market for a majority of players, but the Cubs have a predicament with Schwarber defensively. They could potentially cash in now while his value is high, but risk losing an impact bat that provided the Cubs a much needed midseason boost. Regardless, prospectors did very well with Schwarber up until the last out of the Cubs Mets NLCS game. Enough to move blue refractor autographs from $290 in September to $400 in October.
Movement: 2014 Bowman Chrome Draft Blue Refractor Autographs $290 9/20/15 --> $399 10/14/15

Honorable Mention:

Dansby Swanson.jpg
8) Dansby Swanson
Key Cards: 2015 Leaf Metal Draft
Status: With the 2015 season almost in the books, the prospecting card market will focus it's attention towards the 2015 MLB Draft class. Swanson, the #1 overall pick in the 2015 MLB Draft is slated to have autographs in a number of products. Alongside other key international prospects (Moncada), the market will start to move once Bowman Draft releases and prospectors start to project the 2016 Baseball America Top 100 list. Swanson seems to be the big seller so far, as expected of a #1 pick. Hopefully we are able to see a Bowman Chrome Draft Autograph coming in 2015, but given Topps track record of withholding the #1 pick for the following springs Bowman release, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I would also have included Daniel Murphy's 2008 Bowman Signs of the Future autos (who knew one of these would actually catch fire?)

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Very cool, would be nice to have a retired player / hof player monthly hot list. I don't follow or care about prospects as they don't pan out most of the time but a Hofer / retired player hot list would intrigue me. With that said still good to see a hot list, lol. Phil was one of the best at doing it but this one ain't bad at all. Good job!

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks for the feedback guys. Murphy definitely belongs in there (thanks for the suggestion JP). Any suggestions you have to improve the content or write up, I am definitely open to it. As stated previously, I plan on doing a contest periodically to help facilitate discussion.

I think a HOF hot list would be really cool. Maybe a top 10 vintage sales in the past two months.

birdsfan85

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for providing some good FCB unique content instead of something copied to every forum out there! Hopefully it can be a regular thing.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
This is great. This was one of the reasons i like this place. I dont have the time anymore to check on players and card prices and I used to rely on the hot list to sell off my cards. Thanks for the post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WaxPax

2007 chrome cards as well.
Nice write up OP!

TMP977.jpg

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Very cool, would be nice to have a retired player / hof player monthly hot list. I don't follow or care about prospects as they don't pan out most of the time but a Hofer / retired player hot list would intrigue me. With that said still good to see a hot list, lol. Phil was one of the best at doing it but this one ain't bad at all. Good job!

Completely agree!

Members online

Latest posts