Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Featured Thread] 1991 Topps: The $100 Card, Glowing Backs & More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
For many of us, our collecting careers were born in the junk wax era - that sweet spot of 1988 to 1992. It is from this time period which all other collecting periods are measured, and unfairly so. "The hobby isn't like what it was." everyone cries out, remembering when card shops were found at every corner, and packs of cards could be purchased from doctor's offices to petting zoos.

Why do so many people say these cards are better used as firewood than anything else? The answer is simple: the card companies simply kept the presses running ... FOREVER.

In this article, we'll take a look at 1991 Topps. Hopefully you will learn some interesting facts about this mass produced set. By the end of this article, you may find yourself running to the garage to do some searching yourself!

When they came out, everyone was excited about the promotion they were running. Topps randomly inserted one of each card from the past 40 years of sets in the packs. A winner would be chosen through some sort of sweepstakes to win one of every set of Topps from 1952 to 1991. A very cool idea! The problem is, there was so much printed, I don't think I've heard of more than one person ever finding one of these randomly inserted vintage cards in a pack! I guess that is what happens when you print the heck out of a set.

First off, let's look at production numbers. It is estimated that 4,000,000 1991 Topps cards were printed.

Each.

Not total ... each one apparently has 4 MILLION copies. What exactly does that look like? Well, take this picture ...
20140913_084433.jpg

and multiply it by greater than 5. For each and every card in 1991 Topps. You can't even see the mammoth amount of cards in that pic, but it is one massive solid cube of cardboard!

Because I love numbers, I wondered how long it would take to go through 4,000,000 cards. If you are shuffling at 4 cards per second (I'd say this is average; I'm VERY quick, clocking in at an all-time high of 16 CPS after having a monster energy drink) it would take you approximately 2,778 hours or well over a year's worth of 40 hour work weeks to get through ... just sifting through one card ... of 1991 Topps.

Wanna try that with all 3.16 BILLION cards they produced that year? Well, if you did, and told me when you were done, I'd be waiting on you at some point in March of 3,062.

Let's not forget the different versions:

20151029_143520.jpg

Pictures above are: Micro, Cracker Jack mini, regular, O-Pee-Chee, Tiffany, Promo back & Desert Shield.

It is amazing to think that ONE card was printed over 16x what the ENTIRE print run of every card from 2015 Topps Tek had. (This number is based upon the assumptions i had made in a previous article I had written.)

I know this all sounds crazy, and I'm sure you may be thinking "Okay, okay - I get it. They made a lot, so what?" Many people see 1991 Topps as a worthless product that only has one worthwhile card in it - the Chipper Jones rookie.

But what if I said that is wrong?

A Chipper may bring in 50 cents all day - which is BIG money, compared to the rest of the set. Your only hope for cracking something big would be to get Chipper graded. Or so I thought.

Take for instance good ol' Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd.

Untitled-6.jpg

He was no slouch, but let's face it ... no one is spending a penny on this card ... right? WRONG!

Check this out:

Untitled-7.jpg

This is the black tip flag variation. Even in this condition, it recently sold for $100. While this is not the normal pricing for all variations, there are a TON of variations and errors out there.

Take for instance, the bold back:

Untitled-8.jpg

As Canseco is on a "C" sheet as denoted at the bottom of the card, you don't see it show up as well as the bold red logo that shows up occasionally on the cards from the A & B sheets. A C sheet bold logo back of Walt Weiss recently sold for $40.

There are TONS of different errors and variations in this set - from different border line colors to statistical information that was later corrected, this set has found new life from a select group of collectors trying to put together a master set.

Perhaps one of my favorite quirks in this set is the black light test. I had read about it online, and decided to give it a try. I knew my son had a black light, and I just picked up some cards from a garage sale a few weeks ago. With that many '91 Topps cards, the collection should have at least a few, correct?

I was right.

I hastily grabbed the black light and pile of 1991 Topps cards, then placed them all on the bathroom counter.

20151029_151328.jpg

I immediately noticed one of the cards had the bold logo back variation. Cool! Things got were even more different when I turned on the black light (aside from the fact that it looks like I had the word "poo" written on my arm, only visible under the light?!)

20151029_151016.jpg

Keep in mind, these are ALL 1991 Topps regular. None are tiffany, o-pee-chee, traded, etc. All of them are regular. Check out the next pic to see a better view of the different variations:

20151029_151049.jpg

The glow backs / no-glow backs are by far my favorite variations. Both of my Cansecos look like the Dave Rohde card above.

Perhaps the most sought after type of 1991 Topps card is the Desert Shield version. I just recently read more about the back story on these cards. For me, the more of an interesting story, the more the cards mean to me.

Based upon my research, it looks like these were printed in approximate quantities of 5,000-6,800 per card. They were significantly rarer than the regular Topps cards. To make these even more rare, a lot of them were shipped overseas. They ended up being sent too late to be distributed, so several of them (it is unclear how many) were reportedly shipped back to the Myrtle Beach Air Force to be distributed to the 3,300 personnel @ 30 packs per person. Collectors would wait outside the gates trying to buy them.

To make these cards even more tough, many of these cards were thrown around while either being shipped overseas, or beat up by being carried around loosely in military personnel's duffle bags.

This isn't the only hurdle collectors have to deal with when finding a nice copy of their favorite player, though. These cards have a number of counterfeits, as well. Per the PSA website, the most notable three are as follows:

- The first forgery is easily noted by the tip of the shield coming to a point at the bottom. The entire logo is larger than the original as well.

- The second forgery is noted by the coconuts in the palm tree being barely distinguishable. The bottom palm tree front also touches the box that says "Operation Desert Shield". The flag is also a lot larger, and has less of a wave.

- The third forgery is a lot more difficult to discern, and you will likely need a magnifying glass for this one. The stars on the flag are indistinguishable and just look like a bunch of bumps, as opposed to uniform dots left to right of 4, 3, 4 3.

I have even seen some with a stamp "copy" on the back.

While I know that the genuine article is the best, I for one sure would like a copy of each one of the forgeries for my collection as well! That is how sick we player collectors are, I guess.

In conclusion, 1991 Topps is not just a boring junk wax set - it has a LOT going on with it .... quite a bit more than meets the eye, so don't try to keep your home warm by pitching them in the fireplace this winter just yet!

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I need to look through my 1991 Topps sometimes. Me and a buddy ripped a case a couple years ago. I have 10 wax boxes worth plus some others I already had. Any value to the bold back or glow back ones? Cool post BTW.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I need to look through my 1991 Topps sometimes. Me and a buddy ripped a case a couple years ago. I have 10 wax boxes worth plus some others I already had. Any value to the bold back or glow back ones? Cool post BTW.

From beckett? Probably not, but I'm sure depending upon the player, some could get a good bit more on ebay!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'll still open 91 topps from time to time looking for errors.

Not that I've opened a lot, at all, but I've had great success finding a couple of White framed Doug Drabek, hands over border Whiten and the above Oil can plus a ton of others.

Cheapest thrill out there if you're into errors.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Great read Tanner! It ranks up there as the worst product IMO mainly due to the card stock they used, but it def has lots of variations. Gonna have to see what Wills exist that I didn't know about.

Ryan

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
1991 Topps was the set that got me back into the hobby. I opened a relative ton of it trying to complete a set from packs. I had to leave behind a bunch when I moved cross-country, but I wonder what E?Vs I might have. I remember the bold backs being a bit of a thing, back when we didn't have that much new to collect. Oh well, breaking out the black light at some point.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
With a lot of time and patience plus a magnifying glass and black light. Should be an interesting vacation.

Don't forget the baking soda, toaster oven, kittens and crushed velvet!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In 1991 Topps celebrated 40th anniversary in the business of baseball trading cards with a sweepstakes and instant win game where 300,000 old Topps cards were randomly inserted into packs.

According to an newspaper interview with Topps spokesman Dennis Liss, buy-back cards with a value of less than $50 were inserted into packs, while cards worth more than $50 and issued before 1957 would be redemptions.

Based on data from collectors who opened large quantities of 1991 Topps packs, the buy-backs and redemption coupons were seeded into packs at the "case hit" level. Topps advertised that they spent $1 million on prior-year cards for this promotion.

The contest consisted of:

One contest card was seeded in every pack. Collectors could fill out the card with their name and address for a chance to win one of 41 different prizes.

The first-place prize was every Topps complete set from 1952 to 1991. The forty second-place prizes was one Topps complete set from a random year.

Contest cards, which were seeded at one in every 1000 packs, contained an X were "instant winners" and could be redeemed for a vintage buy-back card.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Excellent info! I had no idea that the $50+ cards were redemptions. That is actually somewhat disappointing, though I always had in the back of my mind that the oversized 50's cards would be strange fitting in packs.
In 1991 Topps celebrated 40th anniversary in the business of baseball trading cards with a sweepstakes and instant win game where 300,000 old Topps cards were randomly inserted into packs.

According to an newspaper interview with Topps spokesman Dennis Liss, buy-back cards with a value of less than $50 were inserted into packs, while cards worth more than $50 and issued before 1957 would be redemptions.

Based on data from collectors who opened large quantities of 1991 Topps packs, the buy-backs and redemption coupons were seeded into packs at the "case hit" level. Topps advertised that they spent $1 million on prior-year cards for this promotion.

One contest card was seeded in every pack. Collectors could fill out the card with their name and address for a chance to win one of 41 different prizes.

The first-place prize was every Topps complete set from 1952 to 1991. The forty second-place prizes was one Topps complete set from a random year.

Contest cards, which were seeded at one in every 1000 packs, contained an X were "instant winners" and could be redeemed for a vintage buy-back card.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA

That is interesting. I didn't get any buybacks in the 10 boxes I ripped. If my friend got anything of interest in the other 10 he didn't tell me. Look like a case would be 720 packs so we might have missed out. May have to track down another case one day.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'm gonna open a 91 topps box Monday.
It's hanging out with a bag of apples in my trunk right now.

I'll post a pic of the 69 white letter mantle when I get it from the pack ;)

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I'm gonna open a 91 topps box Monday.
It's hanging out with a bag of apples in my trunk right now.

I'll post a pic of the 69 white letter mantle when I get it from the pack ;)

If you happen to hit a redemption, you should send it to Topps for funsies anyway just to see what they do/say! :)

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
The set has my favorite base Topps design from the 80s and 90s and there's some great photography throughout, so I don't mind the overproduction that much. There's also a Bazooka version (with different photos though) and a dozen or so players have metallic "Gallery of Champions" versions. Maybe one day I'll buy a 1991 Topps Tiffany set. It's suppose to be in shorter supply than ones from previous years.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

the buy-backs and redemption coupons were seeded into packs at the "case hit" level. Topps advertised that they spent $1 million on prior-year cards for this promotion. The contest consisted of:

• One contest card was seeded in every pack. Collectors could fill out the card with their name and address for a chance to win one of 41 different prizes. The first-place prize was every Topps complete set from 1952 to 1991. The forty second-place prizes was one Topps complete set from a random year.

• Contest cards, which were seeded at one in every 1000 packs, contained an X were "instant winners" and could be redeemed for a vintage buy-back card.
Single-card Prize Winners:

• 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle by Mark Leffler, Shelbyville, IN
  • 1952 Andy Pafko by John Grupp, East Meadow, NY
  • 1952 Bill Dickey by Barry Black, Johnson City, TN
  • 1953 Jackie Robinson by Wayne Curtis, Fremont, CA
  • 1955 Willie Mays by Ben Phillip, Minneapolis, MN
  • 1957 Mickey Mantle by Robbie Alter, Prosser, WA
  • 1958 Mickey Mantle by Tracy Whitehead, Senora, TX
  • 1960 Carl Yastrzemski by a man from PA
  • 1966 Gaylord Perry by a man from VA
  • 1968 Ryan/Koosman by Mark Mix, Saint Cloud, MN
  • 1969 Reggie Jackson by Edward Thimons, Natrona Heights, PA
Complete set winners, who were randomly selected on May 1, Aug. 1, Sept. 15 and Nov. 1 of 1991.

• 1952 Topps Complete Set - David Mayberry, Comanche, IA
  • 1953 Topps Complete Set
  • 1954 Topps Complete Set
  • 1955 Topps Complete Set
  • 1956 Topps Complete Set
  • 1957 Topps Complete Set - Tony Petronella, Chicago, IL
  • 1958 Topps Complete Set
  • 1959 Topps Complete Set
  • 1960 Topps Complete Set
  • 1961 Topps Complete Set
  • 1962 Topps Complete Set
  • 1963 Topps Complete Set
  • 1964 Topps Complete Set
  • 1965 Topps Complete Set - Clint Ratke, Custer City, OK
Grand Prize Set Winner (announced May 1, 1991)

• Jack Glenn, New York, NY - All 40 sets (1952-1991)

Members online

Latest posts