Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Since when dose the seller on ebay pay for return shipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I sold a card not that long ago and the buyer wrote me saying there was major paper loss. I didn't see major paper loss but did see some so I offered him a 25% refund and he replied back he wanted 50%. I told him I would just issue a full refund after I get the card back so he filled it when I went to agree it was asking me how I was going to pay for the shipping. This seems crazy as I had to pay to have it shipped to him and have to pay for it to be returned. It's not like it was a Buy It Now as it was an auction so he bid to win it. I am going to call ebay when I get home and I might have to change my return policy if I will have to pay for it to be shipped back. This was an old card as well so the odds of it not having some flaws are going to be hard. My thoughts now are to take my loses and give him the 50% refund and wipe my hands clean of the issue because it's pointless to pay another $2.04 for a card that sold for $7.51 that I wanted to get rid of in the first place. But this seems to put the seller at the buyer's mercy because you will have to pay for it to be returned. This is a first for me in a long time that someone wanted to return a item that I sold.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I sold a card not that long ago and the buyer wrote me saying there was major paper loss. I didn't see major paper loss but did see some so I offered him a 25% refund and he replied back he wanted 50%. I told him I would just issue a full refund after I get the card back so he filled it when I went to agree it was asking me how I was going to pay for the shipping. This seems crazy as I had to pay to have it shipped to him and have to pay for it to be returned. It's not like it was a Buy It Now as it was an auction so he bid to win it. I am going to call ebay when I get home and I might have to change my return policy if I will have to pay for it to be shipped back. This was an old card as well so the odds of it not having some flaws are going to be hard. My thoughts now are to take my loses and give him the 50% refund and wipe my hands clean of the issue because it's pointless to pay another $2.04 for a card that sold for $7.51 that I wanted to get rid of in the first place. But this seems to put the seller at the buyer's mercy because you will have to pay for it to be returned. This is a first for me in a long time that someone wanted to return a item that I sold.

I have had two returns in the past week. Both buyer apparently had buyers remorse as one person said that they didn't realize it was the card they bought. I am accepting both returns then just blocking both buyer... Lately, it seems there are more problem/rude/obnoxious buyers then in the past. For a 7.51 purchase I would just refund the 50% and wipe your hands clean. To much effort for to little money. Then when it is over block the buyer. Just my opinion OH and to answer your question, if the buyer claims item not as described then you as a seller are responsible for shipping, if they have buyers remorse then shipping is on them. Just depend on how the buyer wants to request the return/refund.

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Id do the 50% as well. Not worth the trouble of paying to have it shipped then waiting but that does seem stupid that he expects you to pay shipping

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
guess I'm in the minority , but as a seller I do pay for return shipping if the item is damaged (as long as the damage was not described in the listing already) and the buyer is unsatisfied with it....

in fact , i'll go a step further and say that in any cases (other than obvious instances of buyer's remorse which does not apply here) the buyer should NEVER be forced to pay to return an incorrect or damaged item - frankly the seller does still need to be held accountable and take some responsibilty....accurately represent your items or pay the consequences....

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
guess I'm in the minority , but as a seller I do pay for return shipping if the item is damaged (as long as the damage was not described in the listing already) and the buyer is unsatisfied with it....

in fact , i'll go a step further and say that in any cases (other than obvious instances of buyer's remorse which does not apply here) the buyer should NEVER be forced to pay to return an incorrect or damaged item - frankly the seller does still need to be held accountable and take some responsibilty....accurately represent your items or pay the consequences....

I don't believe that you are in the minority with this sentiment and I agree with the bolded statement.. I don't see where myself or A Corona said that the buyer should have to pay for return shipping. Just that $$ involved isn't worth getting into a pissing match over it.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

I did offer a 25% refund it was a minor issue from what I had seen not saying he shouldn't get something back at all he wanted 50% and that seemed steep for me so we couldn't meet at the refunded price. I feel he was trying to get something for next to nothing more than anything. Plus the fact the card is 63 years old so it seemed like he had high expectations it would not have minor flaws as what I felt the back had. He will get his 50% and I will not deal with him again. As far as the description it stated it was a 1952 Topps card the condition was ok not sure what people expect to get from a card that is that old. If it was Near Mint or better I am sure the price would have been a lot higher than what it sold for I did miss the flaw hence the 25% refund I offered him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
You can and should stipulate who pays shipping on all refunds. When you created the auction, eBay had you choose an option regarding returns. What did you select?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It obviously depends on the circumstances but I just bought a couple of cards that arrived and were badly damaged (not due to shipping). Process was frustrating as is that the damage was never mentioned in the listing, I would have have been happy paying return shipping...

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
If i remember correctly, the seller will have to pay for return shipping if the buyer claims the item is damaged or not as described in his return case. If the buyer's reason for returning the item is due to buyer's remorse or a change of mind then the buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.

deujr61

Mar 8, 2011
Illinois
Not positive on this but, I believe if the buyer requests return through ebay for any reason and the seller accepts return. Then the buyer can print a return label that I guess is charged to the seller.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Not positive on this but, I believe if the buyer requests return through ebay for any reason and the seller accepts return. Then the buyer can print a return label that I guess is charged to the seller.

Actually, I just had a buyer just requested to return the card because they said that they didn't want the card just because. eBay let me know that they would be charged fort he shipping because it was clearly buyers remorse

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California

The buyer is always provided a return label to print out if they request a return through eBay. As to who pays the return shipping costs depends on the reasoning given in the return request.

Damaged item / not as described = Seller pays return shipping

Buyer's remorse / changed mind / found item cheaper elsewhere = Buyer pays return shipping

Return shipping costs are automatically deducted from either the seller's or buyer's PayPal account depending on the reasoning as long as the return is processed through eBay's return program.

deujr61

Mar 8, 2011
Illinois
Actually, I just had a buyer just requested to return the card because they said that they didn't want the card just because. eBay let me know that they would be charged fort he shipping because it was clearly buyers remorse

The buyer is always provided a return label to print out if they request a return through eBay. As to who pays the return shipping costs depends on the reasoning given in the return request.

Damaged item / not as described = Seller pays return shipping

Buyer's remorse / changed mind / found item cheaper elsewhere = Buyer pays return shipping

Return shipping costs are automatically deducted from either the seller's or buyer's PayPal account depending on the reasoning as long as the return is processed through eBay's return program.

Thanks! Did not know for sure.

Members online

Latest posts