Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for grading a card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I got a new toy that lets me see cards really close and I am looking through my collection seeing what I want to grade so I started just looking at corners and edges and I am not sure on what kind of knock would be added to this so I wanted to get some opinions on it. I am basically trying to grade anything that's a 9.5 or better and this is the only flaw I see on this card. If I had to guess I would say the picture was taking somewhere between 40x to 60x times the size and other than this the corners and edges are gem mint to pristine. I have looked at 9.5 and 10 of BGS for a comparison.
Image5.jpg

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Just a guess...8 for that corner. 8.5-9. Overall.

That's what concerns me but then again I thought beckett only goes times 10 so it might not be seen as I would need to look at more 9.5 corners and edges and see what kind of flaws I can find. This is a 1994 SP Die Cut Frank Thomas and if I don't think I can get a BGS 9.5 I will not grade it as I am looking to send 100 cards for the 45 day grading so right not I am just taking a quick look eliminating a lot really quick and keeping the ones in question. After I get so many I will start measuring to see if it's centered and then looking for surface errors on front and back of the card. I would like to get some 10's and a lot of 9.5's. Everything else I don't feel it's worth grading unless it's high-end and I am only looking at low-end to mid range cards to grade on this lot and if I can make a few dollars I will do it again with more cards. I have to try something to raise more money for my really pricey Jeter cards I want and need.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I got a digital microscope that goes from 10x to 150x that you can plug into your computer and see it on the computer screen. It's pretty sweet as you can see things a loop misses. What I need to do is make a white and black background so I can switch to help see the corners.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My rule of thumb is that if you can pick out a flaw with a naked eye, other than centering, it won't get a 9.5.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
My rule of thumb is that if you can pick out a flaw with a naked eye, other than centering, it won't get a 9.5.

It's a little more than the naked eye that will get you a 9 grade maybe a 8.5 but if you're looking for 9.5 and 10's you need to see it closer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts