User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recent Jonny Gomes pickups: Jersey # Rainbow

corockies
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Chris Nelson 2004 Topps Chrome Traded Blue Refractor has been on eBay for a while. It's serial #ed 1/1. (I'd add it to my collection but not for $150):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Topps-T...MAAMXQ1ZhThmIj

UPDATE - Seller accepted my offer of $80 lol. I guess I own this now! Sweet!
    Last edited by corockies; 12-29-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corockies View Post
    The Chris Nelson 2004 Topps Chrome Traded Blue Refractor has been on eBay for a while. It's serial #ed 1/1. (I'd add it to my collection but not for $150):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Topps-Traded-Chrome-Blue-Refractor-Chris-Nelson-RC-Rookie-ed-1-1-/191194288978?hash=item2c84115352:g:PFMAAMXQ1ZhThmI j

Haha, that's sweet! I made a killing off the X-Fractor/10 version of this Nelson card - bought it for like $10 BIN near the end of 2004, sold it for $200 or $300, can't remember.
    I collect all cards of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
    Especially interested in: Brandon Webb, Paul Goldschmidt, Daniel Hudson, Luis Gonzalez, Jay Bell, A.J. Pollock, Steve Finley, David Peralta, Zack Godley, Stephen Drew
    TO COME SOON - My D-backs Collection

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Topps-T...MAAMXQ1ZhThmIj

Very nice ,

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

corockies
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found a couple other 2004 Topps Chrome Traded Blue Refractors listed on eBay (both seem to have the 1/1 on them):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OZZIE-GUILLEN-2004-TOPPS-CHROME-BLUE-REF-1-1-PSA-GEM-10/311499985866

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-TOPPS-CHROME-TRADED-BL-REFRACTORS-T48-JOSE-CRUZ-JR-1-1-BGS9/331742533776

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey LWMM,

First of all I wanted to say I love your collection! Secondly I wanted to ask about your 2004 Topps Traded Blue Gomes 1/1. I own the Scott Dohmann and Jeff Salazar from this set and your Gomes is the only other one I've ever seen. I pulled up your page and looked at it and noticed yours doesn't have a serial #1 /1 on back. Was just wondering if this might have been a oversight when you were scanning it or if there may be versions out there without the serial #.

I have the Jeff Weaver card from that set with identical serial numbering to those above. I could be wrong but didn't Topps put holograms (similar to what they did for autographed cards) on the back of all 1/1's back then? That kind of leads me to believe all of the Blues were backdoored and somebody stamped at least 1 set "1/1", or Topps had already stamped them but they weren't packed out.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    I have the Jeff Weaver card from that set with identical serial numbering to those above. I could be wrong but didn't Topps put holograms (similar to what they did for autographed cards) on the back of all 1/1's back then? That kind of leads me to believe all of the Blues were backdoored and somebody stamped at least 1 set "1/1", or Topps had already stamped them but they weren't packed out.
    Judging from printing plates, the holograms started in 2005. It's also possible that 2004 non-printing plate 1/1s had holograms while the printing plates didn't gain holograms until 2005, but I don't have any of the former to check.

2004 Topps Traded, Topps Traded, and Topps Total:

2005 Topps Total and Topps Rookie Cup (printing plate and chrome gold refractor):

Jonny Gomes Collection:
    501/510 (98%)_______134 1/1s_______313 Autos_______25 Bats_______17 Jerseys

Wantlist: Reward Offered

corockies
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of my 2004 1/1's have the hologram either. Like LWMM said I believe the holograms started in 2005. The 2 blues from 2004 Topps Traded I own I believe are the true 1/1's that were packed out in the product. Any others out there without the 1/1 on them are backdoored.

2004's:

2005's:

As far as I know the 2004 Topps Traded Blues / 2004 Topps Chrome Traded Blue Refractors are the first 1/1's Topps ever did in a product aside from printing plates. Superfractors and Bowman Reds didn't make their debut until 2005.
    Last edited by corockies; 12-30-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LWMM View Post
    Judging from printing plates, the holograms started in 2005. It's also possible that 2004 non-printing plate 1/1s had holograms while the printing plates didn't gain holograms until 2005, but I don't have any of the former to check.
    I stand corrected, since they had been using holograms for autographs and relics way back in 2000 I hadn't considered that they originally didn't put them on 1/1's and decided to start doing it later. Wish they still did!

The 2 blues from 2004 Topps Traded I own I believe are the true 1/1's that were packed out in the product. Any others out there without the 1/1 on them are backdoored.
    Do you have any reason to believe this other than no evidence to the contrary? Did you know one of the people that pulled them from a pack? Just curious because for the last couple of years I've just assumed my Weaver was a backdoor after hearing about unstamped backdoored cards and noticing that there was no hologram (which it now appears I was mistaken about and isn't a smoking gun proving "fakeness").

corockies
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any reason to believe this other than no evidence to the contrary? Did you know one of the people that pulled them from a pack? Just curious because for the last couple of years I've just assumed my Weaver was a backdoor after hearing about unstamped backdoored cards and noticing that there was no hologram (which it now appears I was mistaken about and isn't a smoking gun proving "fakeness").
    My reasoning for the 1/1's being pack pulled vs. a backdoored version is why wouldn't they stamp multiple backdoored copies with the 1/1? They would definitely sell better that way as opposed to unstamped. Until I see a tried and true copy of the same card with the same 1/1 stamp on it I'll believe that the stamped 1/1's are from the packed out product. Also now with my Dohmann and Salazar, your Weaver, and the Nyger Morgan from the other thread LWMM posted earlier all stamped with the same 1/1 font I think it's safe to say we have legit versions of the true 1/1 cards. I bought both of my 1/1 cards in 2004 and just learned about any backdoored issues with this product over the past few days. So unless these backdoored cards hit the market the same time as the real product did I don't doubt the authenticity of the cards I own. I extensively searched this set on eBay well into 2005 and no backdoored versions of the blues ever showed up in the market before this (on eBay anyway).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12