User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your players auto price getting watered down?

bmaaaaaaac
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RJ has had on card autos in the vast majority of Topps releases the past 3 years. Usually his highest parallel is /20 with a few exceptions of /50 runs, but normally short printed. You can now get a Tek auto /25 the first week of release for under $60. I would say the price is half of what it was in 2014, I love it.
    Randy Johnson Collector!! 5,554 Unique Cards & Counting.
    https://sportscardalbum.com/u/bigunitcards

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    Tim Wakefield has popped up in more and more with prices fluctuating dramatically. There are only a limited number like myself who really collect him but there are the Red Sox fans who jump in because they want an auto of him as well. Any auto from his playing days is still pricey and very hard to find.

As for Biggio in the 3-4 years I've really been monitoring his prices he has been retired and signing all the live long day, and outside of a few big sets 20-40 will get 60% if not more of his autos.
    Whole heartedly agree with Biggio. I've even picked up a few new ones just for that reason. Not my favorite player from the astros but it's hard to go wrong at $20-$25 for a HOF'er(the only thus far) from your favorite team.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigunitcards View Post
    RJ has had on card autos in the vast majority of Topps releases the past 3 years. Usually his highest parallel is /20 with a few exceptions of /50 runs, but normally short printed. You can now get a Tek auto /25 the first week of release for under $60. I would say the price is half of what it was in 2014, I love it.
    As a collector I think we all like the prices. But, if you ever decide to sell, you could be looking at a big loss for anything numbered more than /25. I never thought I'd see prices dropping like they have.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    As a collector I think we all like the prices. But, if you ever decide to sell, you could be looking at a big loss for anything numbered more than /25. I never thought I'd see prices dropping like they have.
    It's for that exact reason I only buy/collect what I like. If I ever have to sell my collection it will be for something serious enough I wouldn't care that it was at a loss.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    It's for that exact reason I only buy/collect what I like. If I ever have to sell my collection it will be for something serious enough I wouldn't care that it was at a loss.
    That's the best way to go about collecting IMO

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the prices really dropping solely because there is a much greater supply?
    Or is the overall demand going down because people are increasingly leaving the hobby?

I'd say a combination of both. Think about all of the player collectors just on this board who have stopped collecting cards.

The larger supply and lower demand is good for those of us looking for cheaper cards, but it's bad news overall for this shrinking hobby.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

corockies
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Cal Ripken Jr. held a seminar for players telling them to sign everything abundantly so there's plenty out there available. That way when a player is asked for an autograph at a game they have nothing to worry about if the person isn't getting their signature for personal reasons.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Are the prices really dropping solely because there is a much greater supply?
    Or is the overall demand going down because people are increasingly leaving the hobby?

I'd say a combination of both. Think about all of the player collectors just on this board who have stopped collecting cards.

The larger supply and lower demand is good for those of us looking for cheaper cards, but it's bad news overall for this shrinking hobby.
    In the case of Yount, it's because of supply.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, instead of quoting everyone, I'll just give my thoughts(for what they are worth). And yes it's long winded...

I do agree with Austin that it's probably a bit of both supply and demand. But I think one is causing the other. (This is one of the reasons I stopped collecting comics although I don't think I'll quit sports cards.) There are a lot of people collecting retired players and their goal was to put together the best collection they could given their financial situation and what's available at any given time. But, every time you look up, a new set with your player in it comes out. With a zillion auto parallels. Now nobody is saying you have to have everything because you can't. But it usually feels at least somewhat bearable when you know you'll lose some and win some because at least you feel like you'e in the fight, treading water at least. But now, you're stuck between trying to chase older and newer stuff. IMO, you're not paying any less for the new or even old rare stuff you need, because chances are, if you've been around long enough, you'll have all the normal riff raff and the stuff that does pop up, your rival needs too. So you're stuck in this continuous cycle of constantly trying to keep up.

Meanwhile, you see cards you long ago paid $x amount of dollars for that are now selling well below what you paid for them. So now you look back at what you have and it might be safe to say, unless another copy of that particular card does not surface for a good long while, if you have to sell it, you'll take a significant loss. On every single card this happens with. Which, is something I'm starting to see more and more as I watch the market for autos(many times for a particular auto or card as I am being picky) I am after, not just of my main PC but also for other players I want an auto of.

So while we all say we want to collect for our own personal fun, I don't care if you're the richest guy on earth, nobody likes to buy something just to find out they paid a lot more than the next guy. And the card is now worth a fraction of what you paid for it. The only thing that can even kind of negate this is the market for 1/1's and such. And, even those are not as strong as they used to be. So now you start to really wonder what the point is. Trying to collect something they never seem to stop making, constantly over paying for what you do need, and realizing if you ever decide to sell, you're not losing a little bit of money, but a lot.

I think this is why the demand may be lessening because, yeah, people get tired of it and the chase gets old because it goes from "you might get close" to "a dog chasing it's own tail". I think my only question is: where does this bottom out?

As for the comment above about Ripken telling players to sign so they can feel ok about declining fans at a game, I don't know if that was a joke or for real. But, there will always be cards and items that don't come signed in any form other than being obtained via IP or through an autograph appearance. This is the only reason I can even see for why a guy like Biggio can charge over $100 a show for his autograph. I've heard people say they just want the chance to meet the player but I don't buy that because anybody who has been to one of these shows lately knows it's so streamlined and conveyor belt like it's not even funny. And even if the guy is personable and talks to you for the thirty seconds they can before the handler next to them starts pushing you along and ushering the next guy over, you probably won't do that too many times before you realize you're paying a lot of extra money for the thirty second chat. I've gotten to the point where if I go to a show or signing, I ask for my item to be signed where I prefer it and afterwards just move along. Depending on the player, a lot of them will not even look up to acknowledge you.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    Ok, instead of quoting everyone, I'll just give my thoughts(for what they are worth). And yes it's long winded...

I do agree with Austin that it's probably a bit of both supply and demand. But I think one is causing the other. (This is one of the reasons I stopped collecting comics although I don't think I'll quit sports cards.) There are a lot of people collecting retired players and their goal was to put together the best collection they could given their financial situation and what's available at any given time. But, every time you look up, a new set with your player in it comes out. With a zillion auto parallels. Now nobody is saying you have to have everything because you can't. But it usually feels at least somewhat bearable when you know you'll lose some and win some because at least you feel like you'e in the fight, treading water at least. But now, you're stuck between trying to chase older and newer stuff. IMO, you're not paying any less for the new or even old rare stuff you need, because chances are, if you've been around long enough, you'll have all the normal riff raff and the stuff that does pop up, your rival needs too. So you're stuck in this continuous cycle of constantly trying to keep up.

Meanwhile, you see cards you long ago paid $x amount of dollars for that are now selling well below what you paid for them. So now you look back at what you have and it might be safe to say, unless another copy of that particular card does not surface for a good long while, if you have to sell it, you'll take a significant loss. On every single card this happens with. Which, is something I'm starting to see more and more as I watch the market for autos(many times for a particular auto or card as I am being picky) I am after, not just of my main PC but also for other players I want an auto of.

So while we all say we want to collect for our own personal fun, I don't care if you're the richest guy on earth, nobody likes to buy something just to find out they paid a lot more than the next guy. And the card is now worth a fraction of what you paid for it. The only thing that can even kind of negate this is the market for 1/1's and such. And, even those are not as strong as they used to be. So now you start to really wonder what the point is. Trying to collect something they never seem to stop making, constantly over paying for what you do need, and realizing if you ever decide to sell, you're not losing a little bit of money, but a lot.

I think this is why the demand may be lessening because, yeah, people get tired of it and the chase gets old because it goes from "you might get close" to "a dog chasing it's own tail". I think my only question is: where does this bottom out?

As for the comment above about Ripken telling players to sign so they can feel ok about declining fans at a game, I don't know if that was a joke or for real. But, there will always be cards and items that don't come signed in any form other than being obtained via IP or through an autograph appearance. This is the only reason I can even see for why a guy like Biggio can charge over $100 a show for his autograph. I've heard people say they just want the chance to meet the player but I don't buy that because anybody who has been to one of these shows lately knows it's so streamlined and conveyor belt like it's not even funny. And even if the guy is personable and talks to you for the thirty seconds they can before the handler next to them starts pushing you along and ushering the next guy over, you probably won't do that too many times before you realize you're paying a lot of extra money for the thirty second chat. I've gotten to the point where if I go to a show or signing, I ask for my item to be signed where I prefer it and afterwards just move along. Depending on the player, a lot of them will not even look up to acknowledge you.
    Wow, everything you covered above is like you read it from my mind. You hit the nail on the head with all of the above in my opinion.

Bay-buyer-09
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid $64 delivered for a 2007 UD Premier Remnants Quads (2632) Autograph Serial #'d to 15 back in July of 2016. I don't think you'll have any chance of getting this same (or similar) card for that price before 2010 for Cal Ripken Jr autographs.

I bought over 110 different Cal Ripken certified autographed cards in 2016 for $6,600 (approximately). Although about 30 of them are 2010 plus and mostly Leaf, I paid around $30-35 per auto and about $40 for serial numbered 25 or less.

The most I paid in 2016 was $139.35 for a 2005 Throwback Threads Collection Combo Autograph Serial #'d to 10 back in February. If I remember correctly, another one of this popped up and sold for much less but I think what I paid is still less than what they were going for before 2010. I don't remember ever paying $60 or less for any Ripken autographs before 2010 and he is 95% of what I buy...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calripkenjrcollector View Post
    I paid $64 delivered for a 2007 UD Premier Remnants Quads (2632) Autograph Serial #'d to 15 back in July of 2016. I don't think you'll have any chance of getting this same (or similar) card for that price before 2010 for Cal Ripken Jr autographs.

I bought over 110 different Cal Ripken certified autographed cards in 2016 for $6,600 (approximately). Although about 30 of them are 2010 plus and mostly Leaf, I paid around $30-35 per auto and about $40 for serial numbered 25 or less.

The most I paid in 2016 was $139.35 for a 2005 Throwback Threads Collection Combo Autograph Serial #'d to 10 back in February. If I remember correctly, another one of this popped up and sold for much less but I think what I paid is still less than what they were going for before 2010. I don't remember ever paying $60 or less for any Ripken autographs before 2010 and he is 95% of what I buy...

That is because his stuff regularly sold well over a $100 if I recall correctly. For base low numbered autos even(depending on how low the serial number). I know as I was tickled to death as I went on a hot streak pulling his autos(one was even from premier which was a 300 pack of cards!). There are still a few guys whose demand is high and availability is low(or lower). Piazza and Maddux are two I'm eyeing. But prices have continued to drop on them. I'll be so happy when Jeter drops below a bill. It's also happening with basketball and football.

I think what'll be interesting is, over time, what, if anything, will hold some value? I'm thinking older GU patch autos might as I feel like the hobby as a whole considers the earlier GU stuff to be more likely legit. A lot of the gorgeous stuff now is player worn or event worn or whatever. I'm not into that. If I was, I'd just stop buy and get Moushi to create something as he would easily make a mockery of anything out there.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's supply and demand, and especially supply, but it's a weird inverted relationship with the people buying them. Basically, be careful what you wish for. Anyone would like to open a pack and find a Piazza, or Maddux, or Koufax auto. Topps and Panini know this, so they put them in there. But meeting the capricious demands of the market inevitably increases supply and they still have to pay the price the players demand for their sigs. The collectors who just want any sig compared to a specific one, for set-building or other definite purpose, are happy with softening prices, but the "value accumulator" somehow finds it distasteful. Could Topps go to these guys and say,"You know, we put out a few thousand of your autograph in the last couple years and prices on them are down on ebay, and people complain about it, but they still want the cards. So we need you to lower your prices so we can make more cards." Sure, but I don't think it'd fly.

I think it's funny that people see sets like Dynasty and whatever and say,"Oh there's never enough value to justify the price" as if there's a direct correlation, and Topps controls it. If they were to put a Mickey Mantle cut auto in every pack, people would complain because prices would plummet, despite the fact that who wouldn't love to pull a Mickey Mantle auto? That you can buy an auto of just about any living or recently deceased HOF-level player for $100 or less is pretty awesome for a collector.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    It's supply and demand, and especially supply, but it's a weird inverted relationship with the people buying them. Basically, be careful what you wish for. Anyone would like to open a pack and find a Piazza, or Maddux, or Koufax auto. Topps and Panini know this, so they put them in there. But meeting the capricious demands of the market inevitably increases supply and they still have to pay the price the players demand for their sigs. The collectors who just want any sig compared to a specific one, for set-building or other definite purpose, are happy with softening prices, but the "value accumulator" somehow finds it distasteful. Could Topps go to these guys and say,"You know, we put out a few thousand of your autograph in the last couple years and prices on them are down on ebay, and people complain about it, but they still want the cards. So we need you to lower your prices so we can make more cards." Sure, but I don't think it'd fly.

I think it's funny that people see sets like Dynasty and whatever and say,"Oh there's never enough value to justify the price" as if there's a direct correlation, and Topps controls it. If they were to put a Mickey Mantle cut auto in every pack, people would complain because prices would plummet, despite the fact that who wouldn't love to pull a Mickey Mantle auto? That you can buy an auto of just about any living or recently deceased HOF-level player for $100 or less is pretty awesome for a collector.
    Oh, I agree. But, the reason a lot of people, myself included, start off collecting is we want to amass something. Something that takes time, might not be possible, but is fun to go after. Like playing a hard video game, fishing, etc. Whatever your tastes were. But imagine if every time you made a cast you caught a marlin. Or every time you played a video game it was no more challenging than mario bros(old school NES). You'd get bored. It would get old.

Yes we'd all love to pull a Mantle auto. But if there were so many that everyone could have one, affordably, it would get old. Now, I agree about Topps/Panini not being able to go to the players and get the autos cheaper. So prices of product will stay high(er) than the average(read that as the norm you'll pull) yield per box. But recycle the same stuff with new names multiplied by infinity and the prices become so watered down that every box is pretty much going to a be a loser and Topps/Panini's hands are tied on price point. Then what? Even the gamblers have no real motive to buy. So..what happens?

I guess I'm cool with it. I'm just trying not to over spend too much. Trying to get out of that gotta have it first mindset. I started collecting to do what I want to do and I'll do my best to achieve my goals. But I think the hobby won't handle this very well. Topps and Panini need to realize they can't give every collector what they want and nor should they. This is kind of why.

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Part of your diatribe above is the precise reason why I never NEED to buy cards right when a product comes out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast