User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your players auto price getting watered down?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your players auto price getting watered down?

I am hoping to get your take on a player or players that you may be familiar with. I have been collecting Paul O'neill for years and it seems there is no slowing down his pen with Topps and also the no logo brands. I see some BIN under $15 sometimes and it makes me nuts to think of the prices I paid for the small amounts of autos after his retirement from '01 to about '10.

Lately another player which I selectively collect is Bernie Williams. His autos 10 years ago were at the $100 range on most autos. I have seen him in many of the most recent product releases and yesterday I saw his auto at a BIN price of $20. I am taken back by this and have to think that they will continue to sign for years to come and bottom out like the game used cards did.

How about you guys? Have you seen any players which had high dollar autos get watered down recently? Are any of your players still tough signers for card companies or should I say company? Are there any players you think are signing a lot of new stuff but still retain high prices? Give me your take on your player(s).

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 2001 I was paying $80-$120 for Dawson autos serial numbered /50, I would be crazy to pay more than $15 delivered now for a Dawson auto numbered /50 even if it has a piece of memorabilia on it.
    Want to buy anything Andre Dawson - Twitter @The8Hawk8
    159,911 Total Cards, 4,181 Different Cards, 1,098 Autographs, 355 1/1s, 174 RCs, 373 Graded, 187 Packs, 6 Buttons, 1,282 Mem Cards, 2,666 SN Cards
    28 Cameos, 206 Mentions, 337 Checklists
    Also collecting Drew Brees with my son

Hendersonfan
     Hendersonfan24
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rickey has stayed higher than I would like. Good for value, bad for buying. Years ago, about $125ish. Now average I pay is about $65. Some go way higher and some well lower.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeter has stayed relatively high,especially the sp autos.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for playing years and classic/highly collectible post career sets, I wouldn't put much of a premium on the autos.

Like stated, most will continue to sign and most of the players we are discussing have the time to sign away and make the side $.

A /50 or /25 even /10 auto isn't the same as it once was because the competition to get that card has diminished.

Ryan
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me since 2015 topps archives signature series hit his autograph cards are any where from $25 to 288.00 on his '84 topps. So it has been interesting.
    Last edited by dstrawberryfan39; 01-06-2016 at 11:34 AM.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bernie's use to be scarce and go for good money, not no more. I only have maybe 15 auto's none no logo.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish. The only Hensley Meulens auto that exists seems to only be available for $100-200 in Japan.

sportscardsinc
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without a doubt. A few years ago there weren't that many Edgar auto cards. Now that he has had autographs in every Topps and Panini product for the past couple of years the prices have steadily trended downward. I'm ok with it as it allows me to go after more of them.
    Always looking for new Edgar Martinez Cards.

Currently at 191 unique relic cards & 150 unique autograph cards.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Jason View Post
    Jeter has stayed relatively high,especially the sp autos.
    Depends on the Jeter Auto as well I remember a few of his cards going for $300.00 years back and now you can get it for $150.00 to $180.00 range. A big one for me was his 1995 Upper Deck Auto I remember it went as far as $300.00 and you will get no where near that now. Certain ones will always carry a high value though like the 1996 Leaf Signatures I was extremely happy when my Century Marks got a 9.5 with a 10 on the Auto.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EDGARMARTINEZcollector View Post
    Without a doubt. A few years ago there weren't that many Edgar auto cards. Now that he has had autographs in every Topps and Panini product for the past couple of years the prices have steadily trended downward. I'm ok with it as it allows me to go after more of them.
    This last batch of Topps Archives has been all over the place..

It used to be only a couple of us bidding on his stuff, now it varies depending on what he has signed..

Buhner's stuff is up and down, and Ichiro's stuff since he left the Yankees has come down as well..

Then there is Griffey.. I have picked up some cheap auto's and I listed a few to take advantage of the Hall of Fame vote..

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely - Canseco's certified auto stuff would start at around the $20 mark. Many are now in the $10-15 range with a few occasionally dipping below the $10 mark. The rare stuff still goes well, but there are a finite number of collectors of his out there, when compared to Jeter/Griffey/Harper/Trout. Heck, the cheaper autos of his may just whet the appetite enough for collectors to become stronger on his mid range stuff later, but for now, the low end auto stuff isn't what it was. That is what happens when 3 card companies push out tons of autos of the same guy each year.
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

dsj51
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bernie Williams was my 1st thought when reading the title of the thread. Used to be Mo rarely signed, but he's another coming out in every set made. His prices have dropped a little, but not 2 much. As for Jeter, I've noticed his prices have gone up, not down. He hasn't signed in about 5 years though

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For most players, especially non-HoFers, it goes in cycles. While there might be a lot of sigs from Williams, O'Neill, and whoever this year, they might not have any new sigs in years to come. For example, Joe Morgan has about a million autographed cards out there, but he hasn't signed any since 2012 or so, and not for Topps since 2010.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm perfectly fine with Dawson autos being more affordable.

If [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] hadn't found his way back to the hobby a couple years ago, they'd be even cheaper...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast