Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is your players auto price getting watered down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I am hoping to get your take on a player or players that you may be familiar with. I have been collecting Paul O'neill for years and it seems there is no slowing down his pen with Topps and also the no logo brands. I see some BIN under $15 sometimes and it makes me nuts to think of the prices I paid for the small amounts of autos after his retirement from '01 to about '10.

Lately another player which I selectively collect is Bernie Williams. His autos 10 years ago were at the $100 range on most autos. I have seen him in many of the most recent product releases and yesterday I saw his auto at a BIN price of $20. I am taken back by this and have to think that they will continue to sign for years to come and bottom out like the game used cards did.

How about you guys? Have you seen any players which had high dollar autos get watered down recently? Are any of your players still tough signers for card companies or should I say company? Are there any players you think are signing a lot of new stuff but still retain high prices? Give me your take on your player(s).

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Back in 2001 I was paying $80-$120 for Dawson autos serial numbered /50, I would be crazy to pay more than $15 delivered now for a Dawson auto numbered /50 even if it has a piece of memorabilia on it.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Rickey has stayed higher than I would like. Good for value, bad for buying. Years ago, about $125ish. Now average I pay is about $65. Some go way higher and some well lower.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Except for playing years and classic/highly collectible post career sets, I wouldn't put much of a premium on the autos.

Like stated, most will continue to sign and most of the players we are discussing have the time to sign away and make the side $.

A /50 or /25 even /10 auto isn't the same as it once was because the competition to get that card has diminished.

Ryan

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
For me since 2015 topps archives signature series hit his autograph cards are any where from $25 to 288.00 on his '84 topps. So it has been interesting.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Without a doubt. A few years ago there weren't that many Edgar auto cards. Now that he has had autographs in every Topps and Panini product for the past couple of years the prices have steadily trended downward. I'm ok with it as it allows me to go after more of them.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Jeter has stayed relatively high,especially the sp autos.

Depends on the Jeter Auto as well I remember a few of his cards going for $300.00 years back and now you can get it for $150.00 to $180.00 range. A big one for me was his 1995 Upper Deck Auto I remember it went as far as $300.00 and you will get no where near that now. Certain ones will always carry a high value though like the 1996 Leaf Signatures I was extremely happy when my Century Marks got a 9.5 with a 10 on the Auto.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Without a doubt. A few years ago there weren't that many Edgar auto cards. Now that he has had autographs in every Topps and Panini product for the past couple of years the prices have steadily trended downward. I'm ok with it as it allows me to go after more of them.

This last batch of Topps Archives has been all over the place..

It used to be only a couple of us bidding on his stuff, now it varies depending on what he has signed..

Buhner's stuff is up and down, and Ichiro's stuff since he left the Yankees has come down as well..

Then there is Griffey.. I have picked up some cheap auto's and I listed a few to take advantage of the Hall of Fame vote..

:cool:

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Absolutely - Canseco's certified auto stuff would start at around the $20 mark. Many are now in the $10-15 range with a few occasionally dipping below the $10 mark. The rare stuff still goes well, but there are a finite number of collectors of his out there, when compared to Jeter/Griffey/Harper/Trout. Heck, the cheaper autos of his may just whet the appetite enough for collectors to become stronger on his mid range stuff later, but for now, the low end auto stuff isn't what it was. That is what happens when 3 card companies push out tons of autos of the same guy each year.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Bernie Williams was my 1st thought when reading the title of the thread. Used to be Mo rarely signed, but he's another coming out in every set made. His prices have dropped a little, but not 2 much. As for Jeter, I've noticed his prices have gone up, not down. He hasn't signed in about 5 years though

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
For most players, especially non-HoFers, it goes in cycles. While there might be a lot of sigs from Williams, O'Neill, and whoever this year, they might not have any new sigs in years to come. For example, Joe Morgan has about a million autographed cards out there, but he hasn't signed any since 2012 or so, and not for Topps since 2010.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I'm perfectly fine with Dawson autos being more affordable.

If [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] hadn't found his way back to the hobby a couple years ago, they'd be even cheaper...:lol:

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I'm perfectly fine with Dawson autos being more affordable.

If @Hawk8 hadn't found his way back to the hobby a couple years ago, they'd be even cheaper...:lol:

You laugh about this, but I think is true. When you have a collector that is buying anything that he think is a god deal then I believe that keeps prices up a little. I have slowly been leaving that mentality in the past and looking to fill more holes in my checklist rather than just buying good deals. I do after all have more than 800 Dawson autos.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
You laugh about this, but I think is true. When you have a collector that is buying anything that he think is a god deal then I believe that keeps prices up a little. I have VERY slowly been leaving that mentality in the past and looking to fill more holes in my checklist rather than just buying good deals. I do after all have more than 800 Dawson autos.

Fixed it ;)

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Most will soften over time, unless they are at the highest end of the spectrum, and even those have probably softened from astronomical prices to just way out there prices (Koufax for example).

I am still hopping to land a few at "bargain" levels eventually, such a Puig and several of the other recent Dodger prospects. Mariano Rivera is another one that is still high to me, but has probably come down some with his recent inclusion in a number of sets. I have a couple Jeter, but would like to get his UD3 (Griffey too), because I like the odd design, but those remain fairly strong it seems.

Members online