Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cardinals Chris Correa Pleads Guilty For Hacking Astros

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe they shouldn't have kept the password the same after he left...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...pleads-guilty-hacking-houston-astros-database

Surprised this is getting so little attention. Seems he hacked the Astros between 2013 to 2014. What kind of punishment do you think the Cardinals will face?

I'm surprised this is even getting any attention! A hacker site posted some Astros stuff a year or two ago and I had some fun reading through that stuff that was released. Why even hack into the Astros system when it was posted by a hacker for the world to see?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I'm surprised this is even getting any attention! A hacker site posted some Astros stuff a year or two ago and I had some fun reading through that stuff that was released. Why even hack into the Astros system when it was posted by a hacker for the world to see?

The Cardinals provided the information for Deadspin to post. I rarely call people idiots on the Internet, but you're making me question that policy.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Would the Cardinals be responsible for this? I can totally see something being said verbally along the lines of "See what you can do" in regards to hacking in if possible. But unless there is proof of this, they can just say this guy was trying to do a good job and went too far to do it without their knowledge(which they pretty much already said). Kind curious to see what happens.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Would the Cardinals be responsible for this? I can totally see something being said verbally along the lines of "See what you can do" in regards to hacking in if possible. But unless there is proof of this, they can just say this guy was trying to do a good job and went too far to do it without their knowledge(which they pretty much already said). Kind curious to see what happens.

In the deposition, he told the judge that he told his colleagues about what he found. I don't know how the Cardinals can possibly avoid responsibility unless they can discredit that statement somehow.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
The dates of the hacks over the course of the year or so that he did it were relevant too. He got in and viewed stuff around the draft and scouting reports of guys the Astros were interested in. The Cardinals drafted some of those guys in the mid-rounds also. Not a coincidence.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
The dates of the hacks over the course of the year or so that he did it were relevant too. He got in and viewed stuff around the draft and scouting reports of guys the Astros were interested in. The Cardinals drafted some of those guys in the mid-rounds also. Not a coincidence.

And this is where it gets interesting. How will Manfred handle this?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Probably less harshly than many people want. The Cardinals cooperated with the investigation from day one and that will buy them some leniency.

But if he goes TOO soft, he sets a bad precedent about what happens if one team decides to steal another team's data. If the punishment is almost nothing, there becomes little risk of loss if they get caught. Especially if they are smart enough to hack the data from a country with no extradition like Venezuela.

It is a dicey situation. Especially since the deposition shows that there are two players in the Cardinals organization that would be in the Astros' system if the Cardinals were not using the data stolen from the Astros.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
There's no room for this in Major League Baseball. None at all.

Saying that, I think the punishment for the Cardinals franchise will be losing a few draft picks.

The guy who hacked the Astros? He could go to prison. But he will probably receive probation.

He is saying he was just checking to see if Jeff Lunhow was still using the Cardinals, blah blah blah, but he was wrong. There are better avenues to take than breaking federal law.

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger story.

Just imagine if this were the New England Patriots front office? It would be worldwide news.

Latest posts