Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prepping Cards for Grading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I put mine in card saver I's. Then a stack goes into a ziplock bag just incase it gets wet. Then bubble wrap, then into a box with all pertinent info they request. Tape all seams on the box again to help against getting wet. I send it overnight or 2-day because I don't want it in the P.O's hands any longer than necessary.

1DogCollector

May 25, 2014
If the are chromed cards I use a micro fiber cloth to gently wipe them to take off any fingerprints or smudges. I usually use Ultra Pro card savers for grading and either a pit of painters tape so the card doesn't slip out or put it in a team bag. Lots of bubble wrap so it doesn't move around in the box to much.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I have 11 Auto's I'm sending. I'll look for fingerprints. They are in various holders. I was thinking penny sleeve, then top loader then each in a team bag? Or multiple per bag if they fit? Will be properly packed.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Top loader in a team bag is absolutely not the way to go. Get Card Savers Is (not IIs). All the grading companies tell you this. It's a pain, because not every shop stocks them so you might have to order through your LCS or online. And the reason is not for shipping, but because they don't want to mess with extracting cards from toploaders. You don't want them to, either, because if something happens and your nice, glossy chrome gets a scratch sliding out of the holder, or the auto gets smudged, it will affect your grade and there isn't anything to be done about it. A Card Saver I has a wide margin around the card, and they just cut them out. Easier on the card and the grade. It's a waste, you don't get the holders back, and you have the extra effort, but it's worth it.

Cleaning fingerprints off your cards is also essential. Nothing turns people off like a nice, big, CSI-worthy fingerprint on the front. Use a soft cloth and be gentle.

Beyond that, take a good look at your cards. I mean a good look. Look at them like you don't already own them, and are considering buying them for their absolute top value. Unless they are for your permanent collection, be very harsh, because the graders will be. That card a little OC? How OC is it? Is it really 55/45, or is it more like 65/35? Is it OC both ways? Is the back centered, too? Backs count a lot less, but they are impactful. That little corner ding, the one you only see looking the card from an angle. Not a big deal, right? Still NM? Well NM with BGS is a 7. Would you like to have that card in a 7 slab? Have you looked at them with a magnifying glass? Or, better, a loupe? If you can see flaws with a naked eye, you're probably seeing at best a 9, probably an 8.5 or lower. If you can see flaws with a glass, you're probably still at best a 9. If you see two flaws, 8.5 or lower.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
1. Use graded card sleeves (notched)
2. Use card savers 1s
3. Group in stacks of about 10-15
4. Place a large piece of card board on both sides of the stack
5. I then use 4 rubber bands to secure the stack to the card board
6. Mark on the outside of each stack the line numbers in stack as they match the submission form
7. Ship in a card board box.
8. Write service level on outside of the box
9. I ship usps priority on Fridays to PSA only so they have on a Monday morning, not sure if Beckett receives usps packages.
10. Check my status online once order posts about 10-15 times a day

Members online

Latest posts