Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I need advice on two redemptions - thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Since I am an Albert Belle collector, I do not deal much with redemption cards (thank god) and since Albert Belle was reintroduced to the hobby in 2011 he has been on a handful. I have personally sent in 8 redemption cards of his over the years and have had little trouble except for two which are still outstanding from 2014...

2014 Museum Collection Single Player Signature Swatches Triple Relic Auto
2014 Museum Collection Single Player Swatch Triple Relic Auto Gold Parallel

I had the other 2014 Museum Collection cards for Belle already returned a while ago.

My question is, how long do I wait before either contacting Topps or do they expire? I don't really want a replacement because I only collect Albert Belle, so what is my best option here, just keep waiting?

Thanks guys.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Given that he is your PC guy I would keep waiting. I would also call Topps for an update. I called them two weeks ago on some old ones and they gave me the "reasons" why mine were so delayed. As mine were not PC, I opted to swap them (but I did maintain some pretty delayed PC ones).

Maybe the issue is that they are "swatches" and all they have for him are bats?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Given that he is your PC guy I would keep waiting. I would also call Topps for an update. I called them two weeks ago on some old ones and they gave me the "reasons" why mine were so delayed. As mine were not PC, I opted to swap them (but I did maintain some pretty delayed PC ones).

Maybe the issue is that they are "swatches" and all they have for him are bats?
I never thought to call but I will try that. I want to wait since he is my PC guy.

Good point about the pieces because they haven't had anything but bat pieces in a while, so probably waiting for a jersey to come in.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Maybe this is a stupid question but do they ever expire or time lag where Topps gives up on trying to fulfill the redemption? I know this is something many have gone through and probably much worse but I think I am up to 2 years or so waiting for these.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Maybe this is a stupid question but do they ever expire or time lag where Topps gives up on trying to fulfill the redemption? I know this is something many have gone through and probably much worse but I think I am up to 2 years or so waiting for these.

I don't think it is time bound, but rather when they have given up hope on a certain card. That being said, I have not had them "give up" on a card since they revamped their redemption/fulfillment process about 2 years ago. Before that, they used to send substitutes much more quickly.

Definitely call them and talk about it. No down side to trying to get information.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Maybe this is a stupid question but do they ever expire or time lag where Topps gives up on trying to fulfill the redemption?

My guess... they give up on the athlete after 1 year and take the initiative to work with the collector never unless you call and bug them for a replacement.

I have a 2013 update auto due me that I'm guessing I'll never see since athlete has had 2013-2014 hot stove, 2014 season, 2014-2015 hot stove, 2015 season and now 2015-2016 hot stove to sign his autos and hasn't done so.

you think if Topps were proactive they might have been able to have the autos in hand within a year by frequent communication with the athlete or even quit being lazy and send a topps employee to Yankee Stadium or Citi Field or wherever agreed upon during the season or in the off-season to have an in-person auto session to get 'er done.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I would wait. being you collect him i would. You can call but they really dont know what is going on with every redemption so they always give the basic line "we are waiting on the player bla bla bla" But i dont think they run out unless they spoke with the player and found out from them they are not giving up anything (auto or gu or what ever). But i would wait and still call just to see what is going on..

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thanks guys. I am going to call and I am sure they will give me a very generic response but I have no urgency to replace and honestly at this point the $ I spent on the damn redemptions is long gone and at this point I might as well wait. I mean I am sure after 10 years if it isn't there then maybe I give up, not sure. Either way I appreciate the guidance.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
No surprise here but Topps told me (obviously) the card is not completed and is "pending" which is what I can see online and suspected. They said there is no way to give any guidance at all around how long it may take or what it is they are even waiting on. The guys said that his personal feeling is that they are waiting on his auto but he doesn't know that for sure. He also told me that he can't value what they're "worth" for a redemption until I go down that road and also can't even see what it might be they would offer me, including another Albert Belle card.

That all said, I am going to wait for the damn redemption and I also won't get back those 10 minutes I spent with the Topps guy on the phone lol

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Sorry they were no help. They actually were pretty specific with me when I called...who they were waiting for, etc. I assume he was being straight with me, but I cannot really tell.

Good luck and don't give up.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sorry they were no help. They actually were pretty specific with me when I called...who they were waiting for, etc. I assume he was being straight with me, but I cannot really tell.

Good luck and don't give up.
Yea, sometimes you want them to just lie to you... I mean just tell me that you have the autos (which I'm sure they do since his last million have been stickers anyways) and that you are all just waiting on a nice relic of some kind to include and that is the hold-up. It is all BS in my opinion. I mean you place an IOU in a pack of cards and then let it go years with nothing to hang your hat on. What a great business plan.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Yea, sometimes you want them to just lie to you... I mean just tell me that you have the autos (which I'm sure they do since his last million have been stickers anyways) and that you are all just waiting on a nice relic of some kind to include and that is the hold-up. It is all BS in my opinion. I mean you place an IOU in a pack of cards and then let it go years with nothing to hang your hat on. What a great business plan as long as you can get away with it.

Fixed it for you. But, I know it was implied in your comment.

Members online